Cassius Review of Books: "The Church and the Negro"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Re: Cassius Review of Books: "The Church and the Negro"

Post by _Buffalo »

Fence Sitter wrote:Buffalo,

Your post hurt my eyes, but made me laugh.

Fence Sitter,

Here to help!
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Darth J wrote:If that is the case, then I don't want anything by me posted on a polemical site without my permission.

You mean a hate site which promotes hatred toward a certain religion? I wouldn't, either.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Simon Belmont wrote:
Darth J wrote:If that is the case, then I don't want anything by me posted on a polemical site without my permission.

You mean a hate site which promotes hatred toward a certain religion? I wouldn't, either.

Simon, would you agree with me that it is hate speech to mock the fundamental teachings of a religion, and to claim its history shows that it is completely man-made, and to go through its core doctrines (which its follower consider to be sacred) and talk about how these doctrines are false and the inventions of man?

You do agree with me that that's hate speech, don't you?
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

A friend of mine still has this book today. His mission president recommended it to him when he was on his mission in the mid-70s in Arkansas. He said the missionaries got a lot of questions about the ban at that time, and that book supposedly had the answers for them. When I first picked it up and perused through it about 5 years ago, I could hardly believe what I was reading. It's something the KKK would write to justify their racism. I especially love the word "negress" to identify a black woman.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Baker »

Good reminder that I have this book in my office - ordered it second hand a long time ago. I think I'll take it home for my girls to read.
"I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. ... Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I." - Joseph Smith, 1844
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Forgetting something unpleasant is a way of coping, still trying to alter past history is analogous to the American Tobacco Institute trying to hide its own reports of tobacco causing cancer. Eventually the truth will get out and you are then in a worse position than before.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Darth J wrote:Simon, would you agree with me that it is hate speech to mock the fundamental teachings of a religion, and to claim its history shows that it is completely man-made, and to go through its core doctrines (which its follower consider to be sacred) and talk about how these doctrines are false and the inventions of man?

Setting another trap that you expect me to walk in to, Darth J? I know how it goes: You ask a loaded question, I answer it, then you find quotes from LDS.org which support your position and deny mine.

But, I do believe it is hate speech to mock the fundamental teachings of a religion, and to mock the people to adhere to it. It is also hate speech to register a website, then fill it with a large archive of hate speech from other websites and messageboards.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Simon Belmont wrote:
Darth J wrote:Simon, would you agree with me that it is hate speech to mock the fundamental teachings of a religion, and to claim its history shows that it is completely man-made, and to go through its core doctrines (which its follower consider to be sacred) and talk about how these doctrines are false and the inventions of man?

Setting another trap that you expect me to walk in to, Darth J? I know how it goes: You ask a loaded question, I answer it, then you find quotes from LDS.org which support your position and deny mine.

But, I do believe it is hate speech to mock the fundamental teachings of a religion, and to mock the people to adhere to it. It is also hate speech to register a website, then fill it with a large archive of hate speech from other websites and messageboards.

Then you do agree that http://lds.org/?lang=eng is a site for hate speech.
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Darth J wrote:Then you do agree that http://lds.org/?lang=eng is a site for hate speech.

Nope.

Edit: So predictable.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Simon Belmont wrote:
Darth J wrote:Then you do agree that http://lds.org/?lang=eng is a site for hate speech.

Nope.

Edit: So predictable.

Oh. It is perfectly fine for the LDS Church "to mock the fundamental teachings of a religion, and to mock the people to adhere to it." It is bigotry when other people do that to the Church, though.

Vendetta thinking and double-standard morality from Simon Belmont. So predictable.

P.S. Thank you for your recognizing this as a trap, which is a tacit acknowledgment that there is a factual basis for what I am alluding to.