Banned From NOM

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Re: Banned From NOM

Post by _Nightlion »

Pa Pa wrote:
Gazelam wrote:Apparently the women in charge of NOM can't handle a friendly and intelligent exchange of ideas. They claim I was debating on their forum, which I was not. I was asked questions there and responded to them.

As time goes on I become increasingly aware of what a rare and special place Shady Acres really is. I disagree with the positions of most people here, but at least it is a place where the positions and thoughts can be discussed.

What is "NOM"?

Not On Mars?

I think. I only have time for one playground.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

why me wrote:
Ray A wrote:Gazelam would have no problem turning away one of his own children if they turned out Gay. In fact, he said he wouldn't have a problem drowning them, If I recall correctly.

So Gazelam got banned from a board? My heart bleeds for him.

I think that the point is: should he have been banned? And the answer is: probably not. However, on boards that are critical of Mormonism and NOM is one of them, if a poster disagrees with the exmos, he or she is risking a ban, especially if they support the lds church on an issue. Democracy does not exist, except on this board.

You are showing your ignorance here, why me. The New Order Mormon board is not a place for wide-open debate, that is true. But it is not a friendly board for apostates to share opinions in anything but the most docile manner. I began posting on the NOM board in October 2005 after following a link from, of all places, Millennial Star. The NOM idea intrigued me. It was founded on the idea that one could reject some aspects of Mormonism that were distasteful or disagreeable while still maintaining ties to the community. I became a regular poster there and ran up several thousand posts. I even contributed to NOM Sunday School lessons. I spent a lot of time on some of my posts there. After some time, I decided the NOM lifestyle was not for me. I started hanging out more at a forum (the Foyer, later called Further Light and Knowledge) where critics could voice their dissatisfaction with the LDS church in more colorful terms than were allowed at the NOM board, which had what I felt was a pretty stifling set of rules for discourse (no cursing at all, no avatars that a TBM spouse looking over one's shoulder might find inappropriate, no direct confrontation, just a lot of diplomacyspeak). I and many of my disaffected friends pretty much got run off NOM and told to play at the FLAK playground so as not to scare off any lurking TBMs or newbie NOMs with our frank and pointed criticisms of the church and its leaders (NOM does not allow people to use acronyms such as TSCC or to call the church the Morg, for example).

Anyhoo, I was allowed to post at NOM but my posts were frequently edited by the moderators there, sometimes deleted, and I would get PMs from the mods telling me to tone it down, even when I felt I was being reasonable in expressing my views). The NOM board over time became more and more antagonistic to anyone who did not have a squishy middle-of-the-road personality and who veered too far to the side of either praising the church or criticizing it (with "too far" being capriciously determined by the moderators there).

Once, I was alerted on another board to a thread at NOM in which a fundamentalist Mormon was defending polygamy. I went over to check it out. I asked this fellow whether he agreed with the lifting of the priesthood ban. He began spewing racist BS (ala the LDS prophets pre-1978). I went ballistic on his ass. I got summarily banned for it. Not only was my account suspended, they deleted it, so no one could ever search for any of my posts by my screen name. They also banned my home IP address, so my wife and son who had an account there could not post. I know of many others on the "critical" side of things who have had similar run-ins over at NOM. It serves a very narrow purpose, and the moderating is heavy-handed and often arbitrary. I don't have huge problem with them deciding not to allow a free and open debate. We don't need every board to be a free-for-all. I moderate a board that does not allow TBMs to come on and bear testimony. Nothing wrong with that. The board is upfront about its purpose. The problem with NOM is that it has morphed into something it was not when I first went over there, and the standards of what is acceptable or not change with the whims of the moderators and their personal moods.

Anyway, my point is that NOM is a place for doubters and skeptics to voice (mild) criticisms of the church in a way that they hope is not too overly offensive to any TBM family members who might be lurking or looking at their browser histories. It's about helping people stay in the church even though they doubt or disagree with certain church policies. It's about helping them cope with fallout from their wards and their family members who are still connected. It's not about giving a voice either to true-believers or dissidents. Even if the dissidents in question have a long history in the community.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

Good post Equality. I found that most people outgrow NOM. I try and lurk and post once in a while because I felt like the long time posters really helped me when I started down the rabbit hole. That is who I think that board is designed for. As people start down the rabbit hole farther and farther and become more informed and a little more skeptical they tend to grow out of the board.
There was a big thread about it on NOM a month or so ago.
I like the way the community is set up, it was the perfect place for me to land softly. Now, like yourself, I feel I have outgrown it.
That community might not be a perfect fit anymore for you or I, but it is definitely not the place for a homophobic, dogmatic, troll like Mike.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Thanks for the history lesson on NOM. That was an interesting read.

I am not homophobic or a troll.

As far as marriage goes.. lets say you were lookin gup some family history and ran across Pat Miller and Cory Shilling, the record states that they were married. Are we to assume it was two guys, two girls, or a man and a woman? Why?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

Gazelam wrote:
I am not homophobic or a troll.

I will take back the troll comment (sorry), but I stand by my homophobic comment. And you did not even challenge the assertion that you are dogmatic.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Gazelam wrote:
I am not homophobic...

Have the winds of repentance blown your way?
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Ray A wrote:
Gazelam wrote:
I am not homophobic...

Have the winds of repentance blown your way?

Gaz,

In all seriousness, what would you do if you caught your son watching this video and discovered he was enjoying it?

what what

Paul O
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

Gazelam wrote:I am not homophobic or a troll.

I don't think you are a troll as you seem very sincere in your homophobia...good luck with that...
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_BlueKnightRT77
_Emeritus

Post by _BlueKnightRT77 »

I don't agree with Gazelam, however he shouldn't have been banned. The NOMs for the most part are pussies. They talk smack to slight believers and more moderate believers, then post at FLAK to just get thier ass handed to them for being the pussies they are. The board is dominated by athiests and agnostics that aren't even in the damn church anymore. most of them only want civil talk as long as they can control the conversation and fits thier political and religious perameters while claiming to be this moderate middle way.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

Hello (Moderator Note) in real life information deleted.(a.k.a. Gazelam),

I noticed that you're listed as one of the contributors on "http://mormonexpression.com/about-the-podcast". Up at the top of that page there's a tab called <Blogs>. Can you tell me how hard it is to start a blog on the Mormon Expression website?

You can reply to this post or send me e-mail directly to my address "echoagc@hotmail.com". Thanks!

In case you're interested, I am an active, devout Latter-day Saint. I'm a ward missionary, and thought the Internet might be a good place to talk to people about the Church.

Kevin Sim