The Electronic Journal of Jaredite Studies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: The Electronic Journal of Jaredite Studies

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dear truth dancer:

Welcome to EJJS, the only online electronic journal devoted solely to Jaredite Studies and the refutation of Nephite jingoism. At present, I, Reverend Severus M. Kishkumen, Ph.D., D.D., M.M., am pursuing numerous projects in addition to the journal, which will include a Jaredite wiki. I hope this meets with your approval, since it is my own ingenious plan, the product of my prophetic insight and the influence of the spirits of departed Jaredite scholars, who are ever near, moving upon my soul and guiding me to ever greater revelatory discoveries.

Regards,

Kishie Ku

truth dancer wrote:Hi Reverend Kishkumen,

I am deeply interested in your work and am wondering if there will be a website dedicated to Jaredite Studies?

Thanks,

~td~
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Dear Kishie Ku,

I await perusing the wiki site with much anticipation. Might you include photographs on the site?

Have you considered video taping a presentation for TED talks? I feel certain they would appreciate your knowledge and expertise on such an important topic!

We are fortunate to have a scholar of your stature here at MDB!

Warmest wishes,

~td~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

truth dancer wrote:Might you include photographs on the site?

Most certainly. It will aspire to the aesthetics of prestigious wikis.

truth dancer wrote:Have you considered video taping a presentation for TED talks?

Hmmm... while that does sound intriguing, I am afraid that I would not reach my target audience through the TED venue. A podcast seems like the way to go, and that is what I am currently looking into.

truth dancer wrote:We are fortunate to have a scholar of your stature here at MDB!

How true. MA&D must be steamed that I won't even deign to register at their Nephite-loving den of moral and intellectual bankruptcy.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

EJJS 1.2 (October, 2010)

As I predicted, the recalcitrance of the Old Guard of the LDS apologetic establishment is very well entrenched. In spite of the flood of confirmations pouring in, showing conclusively that my Jaredite findings are indeed true, there are holdouts. What are these findings?

1. The vast majority of the inhabitants of the ancient Americas originated in Asia. Most DNA studies have confirmed my hypothesis. Based on a careful reading of the Book of Mormon as well as deep pondering on the writings of Hugh Nibley, I can only conclude that the Jaredites came from Asia, and that they colonized the Americas thousands of years before the Nephites arrived. Their population was massive by the time the Nephites came.

2. Due to the heavily mythological nature of sacred history, one cannot rely on the Nephite representation of Jaredite history as being “literally true” in all respects. Rather, the Nephites described the Jaredites as originating from the Tower of Babel, which was, according to Hebraic tradition, destroyed in the early second millennium BCE. Instead, the Jaredites migrated to the Americas thousands of years earlier, some crossing the Beringia land bridge and others coming in small boats, over a period of centuries. The Nephite story of the Jaredites was culled from Jaredite myth and ritual, but modified to suit Nephite purposes.

3. When the Nephites experienced schism, those departing often went to live among the Jaredites. The Nephites then identified these groups as “Lamanites,” since there were former Nephites among them, and these were often the Jaredite groups that the Nephites were in conflict with already. The Book of Mormon’s description of relations between Nephites and “Lamanites” is self-serving and theologically motivated myth, concocted to prop up Nephite pride, religious purity, and proto-nationalist fervor. The whole notion that “Lamanites” taught their children to hate Nephites based on an old family grudge and jealousy toward Nephi is a Nephite myth.

4. Certain Jaredite groups (since there was no such thing as Jaredite political or religious unity, there were literally hundreds of them) who sought political alliance and rights of intermarriage with the Nephites for their own advantage or survival would adopt fictive roots based on Nephite myth to effect the union. The Nephites represent this, as in the case of the Mulekites, as a people that had lost knowledge of its language and traditions relying on the Nephites to recover them.

5. A more accurate representation of the truth is that the Nephites relied on the Jaredites for the technology and knowledge to preserve their traditions. Their world and culture was, in fact, largely Jaredite. The Nephite element was mostly the traditions and family ties of the ruling class of a small group of communities comparable to Beta Israel in Ethiopia. The various records on plates kept by the Nephite dynasty were written in a Jaredite language that the Nephites, by convention, called “Reformed Egyptian.”

To be continued.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Jaredite Education

In order to provide the masses with the necessary fundamentals in Jaredite education, EJJS regularly posts items of interest designed to promote a minimum knowledge of the Jaredites. Toward that end, we provide the following videos for our readers' enlightenment:

Jaredites leave the Tower of Babel

The Jaredites travel to the Promised Land

Genocide and the destruction of the Jaredites
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Every now and then something crosses my editor's desk that, while disturbing on a certain level because of its schismatic advocacy, nevertheless contains intriguing ideas that deserve an airing in a public forum. Unlike other scholarly organs devoted to Book of Mormon Studies, EJJS is an open forum in that it does not discriminate against critics or advocates of different stripes, but welcomes all to publish their ideas with us.

The author of the following piece has asked to remain anonymous, as he feels the publication of his identity would be to damaging to his stake, far-flung LDS relations, and numerous contacts.

Anonymous wrote:Mahonri Moriancumer: Sacred Name of Power (A Proclamation to the World)

When Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon, the name of the “brother of Jared” whose vision of God before the Jaredite journey to America stands as a striking example of the prophetic call, ritual preparation for theosis, and more sure word of prophecy. Indeed, it is because of its deeply sacred and esoteric nature, that Nephite prophets and kings would not commit the name to the plates, where just anyone might see them. Were they in the original Jaredite Record? Probably so, but then that record was only meant for the eyes of the initiated. It took a seer to read them.

The circumstances of the revelation of the name Mahonri Moriancumer attest to its sacred nature. It was early in August of the year 1835 that the child born into the Reynolds Cahoon family was given the name Mahonri Moriancumer by Joseph Smith himself. Reynolds Cahoon was a dedicated and faithful LDS man, who was one of the earliest converts to the LDS Church and who participated in Zion’s Camp. He labored with his own hands on the Kirtland Temple until the date of its dedication in 1836. Therein he would be washed and anointed.

It is no coincidence that this Jaredite Name of Power was revealed shortly before the beginning of the restoration of the endowment in the latter days through an important event to the Cahoon family. Mahonri Moriancumer’s story was central to the Jaredite endowment, and so in anticipation of the restoration of the temple, God decided to reveal that name in preparation for that great dispensational event. Young Mahonri must have been quite a gift to the family--a sacred trust--because the prophet censured Cahoon for not properly raising his children only a year later.

The Solemn Assembly of Latter-day Mahonrites reveres the great name of Mahonri Moriancumer, bearing it across the earth in anticipation of the great winding up scene of the earth’s Telestial history.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

LDS scholar Kerry Shirts writes on the Jaredite barges.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Although EJJS has been on hiatus due to the editor's complicated schedule, full of publication obligations, world travels, and lectures at various symposia and conferences, he desires to keep the memory of this important publication alive so that hunger for its return can swell.

Toward that purpose, bump.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Now that I have secured the John Jacques Chair of Jaredite Theology at Cassius University, I have the resources and time to devote to resurrecting the The Electronic Journal of Jaredite Studies. Be on the look out for new, exciting, and provocative articles in the field of Jaredite Studies.

We welcome submissions to the journal. All submissions should be PM'ed to Kishkumen. They will then be sent out to qualified peer reviewers for examination.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Now that EJJS is preparing for its full return, I think it important to get back to our initial project as well:

Rev. Kishkumen wrote:For the purposes of preserving the history of Jaredite Studies for future generations, the editor has generously provided the original OP below, which was published under the title, The Definitive Electronic Jaredite Bibliography:

In order to get everyone up to speed on the fundamentals, and not-so-fundamentals, of Jaredite research, I have decided to compile the world's first exhaustive electronic bibliography on the Jaredites. If any of you have additions to make, or comments on the articles, please feel free to share. I believe that a community effort can help advance Jaredite Studies far more quickly than Nephite Studies, which is only right, since much of actual Nephite culture is derivative of the Jaredite.

I look forward to working together to roll forth the great stone of Jaredite Studies.

All entries to the Bibliography will be placed in the next post.