The Electronic Journal of Jaredite Studies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: The Electronic Journal of Jaredite Studies

Post by _Kishkumen »

The impact of Jaredite scholarship is broadening with every passing year. In religious scholarship, the significance of bees among the Jaredites is now being explored alongside its meaning to the ancient Egyptians and Greeks. See this lovely article by Andrew Gough, entitled, "The Bee: Part 2 - Beewildered."

One of the more peculiar links between the Bee and religious orders is the modern day Mormon Church. Founded in 1830, the faith is largely based on the Book of Mormon; a scripture from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Mormon Church is based in the United States of America and its Book of Mormon features the Jaredites, an enigmatic people who migrated to North America from ancient lands during the construction of the Tower of Babel.

The Book of Mormon also features “Deseret”, meaning Honeybee, and the Jaredites were said to have led the Bee on a series of migrations across the ancient world. Intriguingly, the Eastern Egyptian Dessert, as discussed in Part 1, is one of the regions that the migrating Jaredites may have traveled through during their journey westwards from the Tower of Babel, as its landscape is dotted with Bee symbolism and boats. It’s also interesting that the Red Crown of Egypt was called “dsrt” and that E.A. Wallis Budge called the Red Crown of Lower Egypt ‘Deshret’ in his book, the Hieroglyphic Vocabulary to the Book of the Dead. Could both words refer to the same root, the common Honeybee?

The Mormon religion was founded in Utah, and Brigham Young – the first governor of the territory and a leader in the Latter Day Saint movement – had hoped to name the state ‘Deseret’ due to his belief that the Honeybee was auspicious and that it represented industry and stability. Although Young was unsuccessful in his quest, Utah nevertheless adopted the Beehive as its symbol and remains the ‘Beehive state’ to this day. Bee symbolism can be found throughout the state, especially in Brigham Young’s home in Salt Lake City, a residence known as the Beehive House.

See http://andrewgough.co.uk/articles_bee2/
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

My Dear Kish,

What a trove of learned lore this generous catalog of Jareditical erudition is! I saw the recent article in the Interpreter, but had not seen the splendid work of our own Zeezrom. I myself intend to make a modest contribution to the "Gazele/am" problem.* I hope to use it as writing sample should a visiting assistant professorship in Jaredite and Nephite linguistics ever open up in your illustrious department. Until then, I have much to chew on here. Thank you!

And Zeezrom, excellent work!

*(in short, it's a Nephite scribal gloss that that idiot Smith misinterpreted as a Jareditish proper noun; this portion of the Jaredite record was originally part of a bilingual teaching text for young Nephite scribes learning Jaredetish, and the bilingual gloss found its way into the textual tradition probably a few generations before Moroni, whose own competence in Jareditish was not great, which is why he left it in the record...it's such an obvious solution yet no one has noticed it).
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

There is a water sports catalog pushing jaredite wet suits for both humans and animals because it is well known that the jaredites were frogmen given to navigating by searching for stars from a 4 inch hole in the top or bottom depending on which way is up. These wetsuits were the idea of the brother of jared who made the first one from the skin of a dead alligator who failed to get inside the submarine before it launched. the brother of jared know also a frogman 1 was the only jaredite to go 365 days without taking a crap( coiuld not get out of the wetsuit) but he did weigh 300 lbs including the suit when the submarine barges made landfall.
the wetsuit goes for $300 dollars including shipping and a free Book of Mormon with the book of ether highlighted.

just sayin

k
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Symmachus wrote:My Dear Kish,

What a trove of learned lore this generous catalog of Jareditical erudition is! I saw the recent article in the Interpreter, but had not seen the splendid work of our own Zeezrom. I myself intend to make a modest contribution to the "Gazele/am" problem.* I hope to use it as writing sample should a visiting assistant professorship in Jaredite and Nephite linguistics ever open up in your illustrious department.

Illustrious consul,

SVBEEV!

Thank you for your kind words. Please do submit your article on Gazele/am at your earliest convenience. Indeed, we would appreciate it if you would PM us links to your earlier, groundbreaking work on Jaredite linguistics. Your work is already setting the standard for all future study. Dean Robbers has been promising the Department of Jaredite Studies a new hire. My fingers are crossed that we will have the honor of interviewing you for the position at the next International Congress on the Study of Jaredites.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

A good introduction to the Jaredites is provided by The Encyclopedia of Mormonism.

Visit http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Jaredites

The Jaredites are a people described in the book of Ether (see Book of Mormon: Book of Ether) whose name derives from their first leader, Jared. The Jaredites date to the time of the "great tower" mentioned in the Old Testament (Gen. 11:1-9), which was built in or around Mesopotamia. Led by God, the Jaredites left their homeland for a new land somewhere in the Americas, and there they established a kingdom. They grew to be a numerous population with kings and prophets, and, like the Nephites after them, were eventually annihilated by internecine war evidently sometime between 600 and 300 B.C. Their story was recorded by their last prophet, Ether. Around A.D. 400, the last Nephite survivor, Moroni 2, abridged the record of Ether and appended his summary to the account of the Nephites that had been prepared by his father, Mormon. Although the record is brief, it hints at an epic genre rooted in the ancient Near East.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Personally, I am impatiently waiting for a Jaredite boat/barge/submarine replica to be built and placed next to the Noah Ark replica in Kentucky.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tator wrote:Personally, I am impatiently waiting for a Jaredite boat/barge/submarine replica to be built and placed next to the Noah Ark replica in Kentucky.

We have a 1/100th scale replica in the courtyard of the Brutus Memorial Rectory at Cassius University, Tator. I am surprised you have missed it, considering how much time you have spent on our campus. Drop by anytime!
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tator wrote:Personally, I am impatiently waiting for a Jaredite boat/barge/submarine replica to be built and placed next to the Noah Ark replica in Kentucky.

We have a 1/100th scale replica in the courtyard of the Brutus Memorial Rectory at Cassius University, Tator. I am surprised you have missed it, considering how much time you have spent on our campus. Drop by anytime!

Sorry Kish even though I have many spudeyes I have missed that. I will drop by on my next visit and see if we can arrange a tour if your busy schedule will allow it. My only defense for this oversight is the first place I go blind is right in the eyes. I wonder what else I have missed on that gorgeous campus.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Kishkumen wrote:The Definitive Electronic Jaredite Bibliography
This is an ongoing project. Return to this post for regular updates.

Primary Sources
Smith, Joseph. (1830). The Book of Mormon. Palmyra: E. B. Grandin.

Secondary Sources
Nibley, Hugh W. (1951-1952). "The World of the Jaredites." Seven Parts. The Improvement Era. Salt Lake City.

http://www.boap.org/LDS/Hugh-Nibley/The_World_of_the_Jaredites.html

Ephemera
Anonymous. "Cain as Bigfoot, or Cain "Translated."" FAIRMormon.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormon_urban_legends_or_folklore/Cain_as_Bigfoot

Anonymous. (October 20, 2011). "Graveyards of Giant Human Jaredite Skeletons in New York; Evidence of Great Battles."

http://gianthumanskeletons.blogspot.com/2011/10/graveyards-of-giant-human-skeletons-in.html

Christensen, Doug. "Of Jaredites and Olmecs." Ancient America Foundation.

http://www.ancientamerica.org/library/media/HTML/1pz46v0v/11%20OF%20JAREDITES%20AND%20OLMECS.htm?n=0

Deep Shadow. "Were the Mulekites actually Jaredites?"

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/17628-were-mulekites-actually-jaredite-descendants.html

Del. (November 15, 2011). "The Stature of the Jaredites."

http://nephicode.blogspot.com/2011/11/stature-of-jaredites-part-i.html

Potter, George D. (2000). "An Alternative Model for the Jaredite Trail." The Nephi Project.

http://www.nephiproject.com/an_alternative_model_for_the_jar.htm

Smith, Daymon. (May 8, 2012). "A Non-Biblical Dating For The Jaredite Migration."

http://daymonsmith.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/a-non-biblical-dating-for-the-jaredite-migration/

Warr, James Lee. "Neo-Jaredites."

http://www.mormongeography.com/neo-jaredites.html

Related Items
de Lapouge, G. V. (1890). "Le Gėant Fossile de Castelnau." La Nature 888:11-12.

Dewhurst, Richard J. (2013). The Ancient Giants Who Ruled America:The Missing Skeletons and the Great Smithsonian Cover-Up. Bear & Co.

Hancock, Graham. (2005). Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind. Disinformation Books.

Hinson, William A. (2013). Discovering Giants: Evidence of the Existence of Ancient Human Giants. Seaburn Books.

Martinez, Susan B. (2013). The Mysterious Origins of Hybrid Man: Crossbreeding and the Unexpected Family Tree of Humanity. Bear & Co.

von Daniken, Erich. (1970). Chariot of the Gods? Unsolved Mysteries of the Past. New York: Putnam.

Zimmerman, Fritz. (2010). The Nephilim Chronicles: Fallen Angels in the Ohio Valley. CreateSpace.

=) =) =) !
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I noted in Don's quoting of your catalogue that you list a "Cain as Bigfoot" reference under Ephemera. Given the importance of the category, I wanted to bring to your attention a relevant document, brought to light by the illustrious Maksutov:
Maksutov wrote:On the Plausibility of Another Bipedal Primate Species Existing in North America

Jeffrey Meldrum, PhD

https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017/10 ... th-america

"... a probable case for the species is made by a variety of evidence quite deserving of objective consideration."

I make no claims about the phrase "evidence deserving of objective consideration," other than to note that, based on the number of times an apologist has invoked it on this board while simultaneously refusing to ever actually give any evidence, it may be a coded reference to resources locked in the Wasatch vault. These resources would appear to include real, imaginary and forged* items, an apparently unnecessary distinction as all three categories seem to be used interchangeably.

-----
*see the 446, Hoffman.