Show me a religious organization without a sordid past

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Simon Belmont

Show me a religious organization without a sordid past

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Many have pointed to historical black-spots in the LDS Church as evidence that it isn't what it claims to be. While I do not condone certain thoughts or actions that happened in church history, I also understand that there are very few religious organizations have don't a sordid past. So show me a religious organization without a sordid history.

Catholicism?
  • The Inquisition
  • The Crusades
  • Racism

Protestantism?
  • Racism
  • Violence

Islam?
  • Racism
  • Violence
  • Mistreatment of Women

Unitarianism?
  • Racism

Quakers?
  • Racism

Now, I know some of you will CFR me on one or two of these, and I assure you that I have checked my sources.
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Re: Show me a religious organization without a sordid past

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

Bretslover Judaism
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Simon Belmont wrote:Many have pointed to historical black-spots in the LDS Church as evidence that it isn't what it claims to be. While I do not condone certain thoughts or actions that happened in church history, I also understand that there are very few religious organizations have don't a sordid past. So show me a religious organization without a sordid history.

Catholicism?
  • The Inquisition
  • The Crusades
  • Racism

Protestantism?
  • Racism
  • Violence

Islam?
  • Racism
  • Violence
  • Mistreatment of Women

Unitarianism?
  • Racism

Quakers?
  • Racism

Now, I know some of you will CFR me on one or two of these, and I assure you that I have checked my sources.

So you admit that the LDS church has a sordid past? Shouldn't God's own true church be different from all those man made churches?
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Pointing out the skeletons in the closets of other religions does little to exorcise the skeletons in your own.

Unless your premise is that all religions are simply organizatons of men, or that all religions are created equal in the sight of God.

Just a thought.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Simon Belmont wrote:Many have pointed to historical black-spots in the LDS Church as evidence that it isn't what it claims to be. While I do not condone certain thoughts or actions that happened in church history, I also understand that there are very few religious organizations have don't a sordid past. So show me a religious organization without a sordid history.

Catholicism?
  • The Inquisition
  • The Crusades
  • Racism

Protestantism?
  • Racism
  • Violence

Islam?
  • Racism
  • Violence
  • Mistreatment of Women

Unitarianism?
  • Racism

Quakers?
  • Racism

Simon, none of them, including Mormonism, are "true" religions. Pointing out that other religions have skeletons in their historical closets does not mean that Mormonism, which claims to be jehovah's one true church on earth, does not have skeletons in its closet.

So what are you trying to accomplish with this thread? Besmirch all other religions with the same blackness that plagues the Mormon religion? That does nothing to bolster Mormonism's claims of being god's one true church on earth. It merely points out the fact that all religion resides in a cesspool of lies.
_BartBurk
_Emeritus

Post by _BartBurk »

Catholicism?
  • The Inquisition
  • The Crusades
  • Racism

Protestantism?
  • Racism
  • Violence

Islam?
  • Racism
  • Violence
  • Mistreatment of Women

Unitarianism?
  • Racism

Quakers?
  • Racism

That's why when I became Catholic I was more concerned about its doctrine than its history. There are of course points where history and doctrine intersect such as the LDS doctrine of polygamy. In that case you have to look at whether or not the doctrine of polygamy is true instead of how the doctrine was carried out. People will always come short of what they profess. The test of Joseph Smith's mission is found in what he actually taught rather than how he actually lived. It's whether or not the Book of Mormon is true rather than what he might have done with Fanny Alger ...
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Ute mythos
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Showing that the LDS church is just like the other ones only shows that it is probably just as man-made as the other ones.
_Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Baker »

Does Zoroastrianism have a sordid past?
"I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. ... Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I." - Joseph Smith, 1844
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

BartBurk wrote:The test of Joseph Smith's mission is found in what he actually taught rather than how he actually lived. It's whether or not the Book of Mormon is true rather than what he might have done with Fanny Alger ...

I disagree with this. While I do not expect people to be perfect, their actions and behaviors to tell us something about them and what they teach or claim. How he practiced polygamy can tell us something about his claims. Remember he is attaching his sexual behaviors to God making him do it. Now polygamy may not have direct relevance to the Book of Mormon, but we look at polygamy and how he went about it as to his claims regarding polygamy being commanded from God. We look at the evidences that have to do with the Book of Mormon to see if it holds up. One can teach many things you and I may agree on, but that does not mean other claims are true.