Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

Post by _Buffalo »

Droopy wrote:
Now, were harmony a typical example of what is good and honorable among women, things would be different. But she’s not. She’s a lying apostate shrew who takes every opportunity to denigrate Mormonism, its founder, and its adherents.

But she still manages to pull through her temple recommend interviews with flying colors, apparently answering "yes" for the vast majority, or all of the questions asked of her.

For some odd, vague reason, this has always bothered me...

Since when does criticizing a church make someone a bad person?
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Droopy wrote:
If you don't wish to be branded as a misogynist, don't use misogynist language to attack women you perceive as your enemies. You can attack them without sexualizing them and then degrading them.

You're rather like someone who calls a black man the "n-word" then insists you're not racist - you just don't like that particular n***** (censoring is mine)

You really do, Buffalo, need to peer outside of your tightly wound, opaque, hermetically sealed little PC cocoon once in a while and take a deep breath.

There's a whole world out here beyond your CNN chat room cliches.

If the encounter had occurred in a place of business, Will would have been fired and the company successfully sued.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Will:

You told us earlier that you were headed to the Maxwell Institute, and that you felt sure that the folks there would have a good, hearty, mirth-filled chuckle over the accusations on this thread. Are you changing your story now?

(Interesting smokescreen you're kicking up on the "Emperor's" behalf, by the way.)
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Will Schryver wrote:That is because she has long since grown comfortable living a lie and being a hypocritical liar--

Search thine own heart. What paineth thee
In others in thyself may be.

John Greenleaf Whittier, “The Chapel of Hermits,” l. 85 (1851)
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Since when does criticizing a church make someone a bad person?

It doesn't, of course. However, depending upon the level of criticism and its relation to fundamental, core truth claims, at some point such criticism would require one to, at a minimum, recuse oneself from the Temple as a matter of one's own personal integrity, as Temple Worship is the highest form of Worship in the gospel, and presupposes acceptance and allegiance (indeed, a personal, revealed knowledge of) the core truth claims of the Church and a sense of faithfulness to them at any cost.

Harmony does not now accept, as best I can tell after debating here for nearly a decade, virtually any of the core truth claims/doctrines of the Church (including the story of its origin as told by Joseph Smith and recounted today by missionaries throughout the world) nor does she consider the Brethren, as a body and perhaps save for a few select individuals, as either inspired representatives of the Lord to the Church, or, in many cases, even as sincere, decent human beings seeking the welfare of their flock.

As she does not, and cannot possibly be answering the vast majority of those recommend questions honestly, this then bespeaks something rather dark and entropic about her character.

I say this with especial reference to:

Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys?

Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators?

Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?

Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

Harmony has dismissed one of the four standard works altogether as fraudulent (perhaps the most doctrinally profound among all modern revelation, as it ironically turns out), and her views of many other issues in LDS history, practice, and doctrine are well known.

And most of them are not peripheral, but central.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Amen, consiglieri. And now that you bring it up, let me say that I am weary of all of this scrutinizing of each other's character. It is an endless loop on these Mormon boards. All of them. Everyone is looking at everyone else, standing in judgment, pointing fingers. Hey, don't get me wrong, I have done my fair share, to be sure, but isn't it getting damned boring as hell?
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

consiglieri wrote:
Will Schryver wrote:That is because she has long since grown comfortable living a lie and being a hypocritical liar--

Well...Will's estimation here certainly seems to be true, given what we know about Harmony's perspectives over the years.
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Droopy wrote:As she does not, and cannot possibly be answering the vast majority of those recommend questions honestly, this then bespeaks something rather dark and entropic about her character.

Your growing penchant for judging others is becoming worrisome.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

consiglieri wrote:
Droopy wrote:As she does not, and cannot possibly be answering the vast majority of those recommend questions honestly, this then bespeaks something rather dark and entropic about her character.

Your growing penchant for judging others is becoming worrisome.

As is, all irony well accounted for, yours.

- Thomas Sowell
_Will Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _Will Schryver »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Will:

You told us earlier that you were headed to the Maxwell Institute, and that you felt sure that the folks there would have a good, hearty, mirth-filled chuckle over the accusations on this thread.

That's not what I said. That's what you said I said.

I know this is a difficult concept for you, but these are two distinctly different things.

I was in the MI offices the other day. As it turned out, the conversation did not turn to you or your buddies here. I'm sure you're crushed. I have no doubt that being the topic of discussion between me and someone in the MI offices is one of your single fondest aspirations in life.

Are you changing your story now?

What story was that again?

(Interesting smokescreen you're kicking up on the "Emperor's" behalf, by the way.)

By "Emperor" I have surmised you mean Lou Midgley.

Now, exactly why is Lou in need of a smokescreen? Have I missed something here?
I thought myself the wiser to have viewed the evidence left of such a great demise. I followed every step. But the only thing I ever learned before the journey's end was there was nothing there to learn, only something to forget.