Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schry

Post by _Kishkumen »

beastie wrote:I do think there's a degree of hypocrisy involved in the different reactions between the c word and the more common "dick", or other variants. But it's probably due to the long cultural history of belittling women, something that white, straight men haven't experienced to the same extent.

"Dick" has almost been reduced to the status of "dork" or "jerk." The words "dick" and the c-word don't really have the same force, although they are both human pudenda.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

beastie wrote:Rollo,

On page two of this thread Harmony confirms that is what happened.

Thanks for tracking that down. I am convinced. I didn't see it, but I believe Harmony when she says it was true and that she deleted it. Put me in the camp that now believes Will did indeed use the "c-word" in a post here. That guy has serious issues, and the fact DCP pals around with him (even skipping priesthood class to hang out together in the hallway) is very revealing, in my opinion.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beastie wrote:Rollo,

On page two of this thread Harmony confirms that is what happened.

Thanks for tracking that down. I am convinced. I didn't see it, but I believe Harmony when she says it was true and that she deleted it. Put me in the camp that now believes Will did indeed use the "c-word" in a post here. That guy has serious issues, and the fact DCP pals around with him (even skipping priesthood class to hang out together in the hallway) is very revealing, in my opinion.

I'll go with that too. If Harmony, who was then acting as a moderator, says that she saw the c-word, addressed to herself, and deleted it, then given her testimony over Schryver's denials (and given his appalling record of verbal abuse of women on this board), I'll put my money on his having used it.

Mark you, as Kishkumen said, his record is bad enough without it.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Eric

Post by _Eric »

Look, I know that this is just one word out of many, and if there was more that I disagreed with on this thread I would certainly point it out so as to avoid the appearance of focusing on just one word. For example, I don't believe his denial of the "Emma Champion B" statement, so you'll hear nothing from me on that.

Kevin Graham wrote:Count them. Harmony, Stak, Spurven and me.

First, did I miss where you said you saw it when this discussion first took place? This is the first time I've read that you were a witness too, so forgive me for not counting you. If it is the first time, where were you when this discussion was taking place a year or so ago or whenever it happened?

Second, If I recall correctly the only witness that clearly remembers what form of the word appeared on the screen is Stak. Harmony did not say the word appeared as Stak saw it, so to me it looks like we have two conflicting witness statements.

The reasoning is based mostly on the theory that Rollo wouldn't have overlooked that comment had he read the original post, which is something even Rollo isn't willing to suggest.
In the end, the only reason you two are challenging this is because a well known, proven liar, later said he didn't say it. That's it. A year later and he is still on the forums trying to lie about what he said about Emma Smith, claiming he never called her a champion bitch. Are you guys going to say he's telling the truth about that too? If not, then why?

I think if you read more than just one of my posts on this topic you'll see that it isn't just about what Rollo said, or harmony. I don't dislike harmony, and even if I did it still wouldn't compell me side with Will Schryver. It's mostly about it just doesn't ring true to me. If you read the beginning pages on this thread, you'll see that I said that before I read any of Will's denials. Or at least you'll have to trust me when I say that I didn't believe it before I read any of Will's posts.

There was a very good reason. It is because Schryver became unhinged and took the insults to a new level. I remember that much.

One doesn't have to dislike Will to see that he has a history of lying. This is something people on both sides of the fence can agree upon.... except you and Ray.

I didn't say that you have to dislike Will to believe he called harmony a c word online. You just seemed so focused on how you think I feel about harmony, I was suggesting you look elsewhere.

And the only common denominator with you two is your resentment of harmony, for whatever reason.

I object to this, too.

But you're just guessing at what's true and you're letting your feelings towards harmony get in the way. Forget harmony for a second and try to explain why Stak, Spurven and I must also be lying. Do you really think she emailed all three of us that morning before editing the post and said "I'm framing Schryver to prove he hates women... are you guys in?"

You're right, all I can do is guess at what happened. I think my reasoning holds up, but ultimately I am guessing that Will didn't include the c word in his post to harmony.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

I have not read hardly any of this thread, and I don't have a strong opinion on this topic either way. I can only say that, based on my observations of him while a member of his ward, I honestly never saw any indication that Schryver was vulgar in any way or a misogynist. Of course, that doesn't mean he wasn't a vulgar jerk online. I think lots of people let their "real identity" bubble to the surface when posting online.

His wife is a really nice woman and I liked her very much, and I knew one of his daughters who was really smart and seemed very independent minded. She got some big full-ride scholarship to the University of Utah (better than BYU!). I've also heard she is not active in the Church anymore, but I don't know that for sure.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Emma Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Emma Smith »

Shulem wrote:I don't see the big deal that willyboy called a girl a c***. You all are making this into a big deal.

Rolling my goddamn eyes.

Paul O

Shut up you stupid fa**Old Testament.

See the problem, Paul?
"This is why I am a big fan of the Mormon lay. It is important that two people know that they are somewhat compatible in bed. After a couple of Mormon lays, one can know a lot about the other person's sexuality."

-- why me 7/10/12
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

Emma Smith wrote:
Shulem wrote:I don't see the big deal that willyboy called a girl a c***. You all are making this into a big deal.

Rolling my goddamn eyes.

Paul O

See the problem, Paul?

What would you know, you're a champion bitch! :wink:
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

They also say Russell McGregor is friendly and personable in real life.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_Emma Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Emma Smith »

Garbo wrote:What would you know, you're a champion bitch! :wink:

Champion bitch AND wench depending on the perspective of the observer.

I am, to William Schyrver, the Observer Principal brought to life.

Bitch? Wench? Particle? Wave? Only William Schryver knows.
"This is why I am a big fan of the Mormon lay. It is important that two people know that they are somewhat compatible in bed. After a couple of Mormon lays, one can know a lot about the other person's sexuality."

-- why me 7/10/12
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Emma Smith wrote:

Rolling my goddamn eyes.

Paul O

See the problem, Paul?

I won't shut up. Kiss my faggot ass.

Paul O.