Radio Free Mormon Magic and Book of Mormon Translation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Radio Free Mormon Magic and Book of Mormon Translation

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:27 am
Sledge wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Stop the presses! Some internet rando has figured it out. Pack it up boys!

LOL!
figured what out? I do not know what the puzzle is.
Sledge has created a mystery where none exists. Historians and scientists aren't exactly laboring away at the monumental question of "Who wrote the Book of Mormon??" as much as Sledge might want them to.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:43 am
huckelberry wrote:

Sledge has created a mystery where none exists. Historians and scientists aren't exactly laboring away at the monumental question of "Who wrote the Book of Mormon??" as much as Sledge might want them to.
It's what Mormons do all the time, divert the attention away from the problem they cannot solve.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:08 am
Sledge wrote:
LOL!
The tithing must flow!

Kerry, I am currently watching your newest video driving and eating chicken and I am wondering what you think of Korean Fried Chicken. I am wondering if KFC should head the local Korean place and see what truth and flavor could be added, for those willing to experience its goodness.
I think Korean applesauce with cinnamon bears might spice it up... :D
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

huckelberry wrote:
Sledge wrote:

LOL!
You know, the thing that has baffled all critics for 200 years. How did ‘ole Joe produce the Book of Mormon?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Sledge wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:37 am
huckelberry wrote:

You know, the thing that has baffled all critics for 200 years. How did ‘ole Joe produce the Book of Mormon?
How Joe produced the Book of Mormon isn’t baffling. There’s nothing special about the Book. It’s poor literature and certainly reflects a 19th century environment.

However, there is something that has truly baffled critics and non-critics for over 200 years. Namely, how did Joseph hide his 34 wives from Emma? Now that is a truly baffling mystery.

I can’t even go golfing without my wife finding out.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Sledge wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:37 am
huckelberry wrote:

Perhaps not down to the last detail, but you are surrounded by reasonable explanations of the major pieces.

What is really interesting, however, is that the vast majority of people introduced to the Book of Mormon seem to have concluded that, however JSJr, or the CJCLDS say it was produced is not the truth.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sledge
You know, the thing that has baffled all critics for 200 years.
Yeah, how is it that holding the priesthood there are still no actual miracles, but only BS faith promoting stories that all have been perfectly natural, and yet the leaders continue trying to sell the miracle snowjob... that is baffling! That, and the fact that Jesus is always about 30 years behind in giving revelations for the current contemporary moments in order to try and help...
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

The Book of Mormon has not baffled critics. Critics have merely been unable to prove beyond all possible doubt that one particular method was in fact used to produce it. It's very hard to prove beyond all doubt exactly how a deception in the 1830s was done.

If a skeptic suggests that a stage illusionist could have had the missing card up his sleeve, believers can always point out that there are no signed affidavits from eyewitnesses who saw him tuck it up his sleeve. They can chortle about how unlikely it is that anyone would walk around with cards up their sleeves. They can point out that a whole auditorium heard the illusionist say that he had nothing up his sleeves, and saw him pull his cuffs at them a bit, shortly before he produced the missing card. They may even be able to produce a whole front row of awestruck yokels who will swear to their dying days that the card just appeared out of nowhere right before their very eyes.

Every deception works by doing something that would normally be unlikely. Otherwise nobody would be deceived. So documents like the Book of Mormon don't come out of every farm every month, but within the range of human possibility unassisted by miracle there are tons of ways that Joseph Smith or confederates could have produced the Book of Mormon. Not being able to prove exactly which way was used, after all this time, and not identifying a way that would have been so childishly easy that nothing at all tricky or unusual would have been needed, is not being baffled by the Book of Mormon.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Physics Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 am
The Book of Mormon has not baffled critics. Critics have merely been unable to prove beyond all possible doubt that one particular method was in fact used to produce it. It's very hard to prove beyond all doubt exactly how a deception in the 1830s was done.

If a skeptic suggests that a stage illusionist could have had the missing card up his sleeve, believers can always point out that there are no signed affidavits from eyewitnesses who saw him tuck it up his sleeve. They can chortle about how unlikely it is that anyone would walk around with cards up their sleeves. They can point out that a whole auditorium heard the illusionist say that he had nothing up his sleeves, and saw him pull his cuffs at them a bit, shortly before he produced the missing card. They may even be able to produce a whole front row of awestruck yokels who will swear to their dying days that the card just appeared out of nowhere right before their very eyes.

Every deception works by doing something that would normally be unlikely. Otherwise nobody would be deceived. So documents like the Book of Mormon don't come out of every farm every month, but within the range of human possibility unassisted by miracle there are tons of ways that Joseph Smith or confederates could have produced the Book of Mormon. Not being able to prove exactly which way was used, after all this time, and not identifying a way that would have been so childishly easy that nothing at all tricky or unusual would have been needed, is not being baffled by the Book of Mormon.
A sage observation. Yes, the miracle of it all is rather gotten old and not necessarily screamed at from pulpits these days. they appear to have mellowed in that point, and for good reason... It reminds me of all the miracle stories of Jesus. These days a good magician can do them. I mean if miracle is going to be used, then lets see the real thing for once! That must be asking too much since none ever appear... even just last April in 2021 conference there was a talk about a miracle, where a stage was set up for an exciting re enactment of something or other, a huge fire broke out and 20 minutes before show time all the electrical went out.

Everyone was upset, prayers were made, and the Apostle also prayed for that miracle, and sure enough, a little before 6 p.m., 20 minutes later, the power came back on! The production went through without a hitch, and all were satisfied! God puts a premium on making sure Mormons can perform their canned performances of romantic long ago and far away stories of faith, but elsewhere in the world, he continues letting innocent children die of starvation. It never enters their minds of the complete assanninity of what they say are miracles, and what is actually occurring in the world minute by minute with nary a concern from God about far more important and drastically needed miracles that never come. Far better to make sure a production among Mormon for Mormons occurs than saving a few extra lives of innocents babies, so Mormons can continue having faith in God who loves stage plays more than children. It's not just an atheist argument. It's a humanity argument, something apparently God cannot grasp.
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:27 am
How Joe produced the Book of Mormon isn’t baffling. There’s nothing special about the Book. It’s poor literature and certainly reflects a 19th century environment.

However, there is something that has truly baffled critics and non-critics for over 200 years. Namely, how did Joseph hide his 34 wives from Emma? Now that is a truly baffling mystery.

I can’t even go golfing without my wife finding out.
:lol: :lol: