Schryver from Kinderhook Bomb

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Re: Don Bradley’s Kinderhook Bomb

Post by _Droopy »

Perhaps Dan P. doesn't mind when females are demeaned.

No marg, we're all misogynists now...

It was exploitative and abusive of women and had nothing to do with increasing the numbers... when daughters and other men's wives were being used for sex and encouraged to be exchanged among each other.

Fantasies devoid of serious intellectual content of this type are, for me, indicative of a deep and aggressive resistance to knowing itself. I'm persuaded, as always, that the real issues that threaten you so much regarding the Church and its teachings are hardly to be found in the doctrine of plural marriage, not the least of which is the heavily stuffed straw man version of it you have concocted for polemical purposes.

Religion was it appears much like for Warren Jeff...an excuse to get extramarital sex particularly with young females and simply to use them, using religion to do so. So perhaps it's not surprising that Dan doesn't find Will's excessive vulgar comments to women offensive.

Let the calumny and character liquidation began. Where's MsJack? At least she sounds intellectually serious at times.

I don't intend this as a derail..

I think I understand your intentions here.

In fact, I'm almost certain of them.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

MsJack wrote:So, in your view, Dan, is this an appropriate thing to say about a woman's body in a public discussion forum?

William Schryver wrote:(Kimberly does remain somewhat famous [among a small circle of otherwise respected academics] on account of my descriptions of her having once squeezed her then more voluptuous spirit tabernacle into a slinky black three-sizes-too-small dress at the 2006 Exmormon Foundation conference in Salt Lake City, which I attended. One wouldn't have believed it possible to carry melons in a pair of thimbles suspended from a thread, but miracles happen almost every day in this jaded world of cynical disbelievers.)

Did he use similar metaphors for the bodies of his wife and daughters ("melons carried in a pair of thimbles") around complete strangers when you observed the family?

Is this the best you can do? Off color, yes. Misogynist? This is why you, and most of the Morlocks who populate this board have neither credibility or respect outside your own little matrix.

The degree of threat Will poses to you must be at a high yield thermonuclear level. You folks have been at DEFCON 4 since Will came on the scene and began deflating the tires of your favorite pastime: gnawing on the Book of Abraham (without ever trying to understand what it actually says).
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

You seem to repeat the fact that you have met his wife as though that were somehow some sort of defense for his misogyny.

If you've never run across the concept of a circular argument before, let me introduce you.

And there is a more troubling implication that concerns me here, which is the idea that you would be able to tell if a woman is in a bad relationship just by casual meetings and ordinary interaction. Please let me be clear, I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with Will's relationship with his wife or daughter. All I am suggesting is that you stop implying that you know that there couldn't possibly be just because you have met them. You don't know that. It would not be possible.

And, of course, you know utterly nothing of Will's personal life or relationships, and can nary extrapolate them from the frenzied tabloid atmosphere of paranoia and loathing that emanates from this board.

Again, because I know there will be those who skim over this and miss the point I am making, I am not making any comment at all about the relationship Will has with his wife or his daughter.

But you wanted to, didn't you "dad?" Come on now, fess up...

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Speaking of misogyny, has anybody noticed MsJack's avatar?

I wonder, could this be an attempt at "entrapment?"

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Re: Schryver from Kinderhook Bomb

Post by _Droopy »

beastie wrote:It's clear to me that DCP is quibbling over the word "misogynist". I guess one could make the argument that calling women whore and choosing to insult them by referencing their sexual appeal in conversations that had nothing to do with sexual appeal does not necessarily denote hatred of women. Maybe it just shows lack of respect for women.

Logically, it shows nothing of the kind. It could only be lack of respect for certain, specific woman, and verbal sharpness making that fact crystal clear.

Mormon apologetics is largely built on quibbling over specific words, kind of like Clinton did with "is" and "sex."

Actually, its built on education, critical thinking, and a desire to enter into serious discourse with critics holding opposing views, the latter being made very difficult by the dearth of critics with opposing views who are intellectually serious and who can therefore enter into such discourse.

Whether or not Schryver actually hates women or just has no respect for them and evaluates their worth on the basis of sexual appeal, the larger meaning of the accusation is clear.

I'm sure Will has also stopped beating his wife.

- Thomas Sowell
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Droopy wrote:Is this the best you can do? Off color, yes. Misogynist?

I believe we've already had that thread. You did a poor job of defending your idol then, and you're doing a poor job of defending him now.

And for the record, if your name isn't "Dan Peterson," I wasn't asking you anyways. Your opinion doesn't interest me.

Droopy wrote:This is why you, and most of the Morlocks who populate this board have neither credibility or respect outside your own little matrix.

How would I measure "credibility or respect outside [my] own little matrix"? Would articles in Christian periodicals and interviews with national television shows and newspapers count? Would being asked to introduce speakers at the FAIR Conference and write for the Mormon gateway at Patheos count? Or are they part of my matrix, too?

Droopy wrote:You folks have been at DEFCON 4 since Will came on the scene and began deflating the tires of your favorite pastime: gnawing on the Book of Abraham

CFR. I would like to hear some examples of myself "gnawing on the Book of Abraham." Should be easy for you to find since it's such a favorite pastime of mine.

Droopy wrote:(without ever trying to understand what it actually says).

I'm pretty sure I made an effort to understand what the Book of Abraham actually says when I took that Pearl of Great Price class as a freshman at BYU. Got an A in it, too.

Droopy wrote:Speaking of misogyny, has anybody noticed MsJack's avatar?

I wonder, could this be an attempt at "entrapment?"

No. It's a picture of some bad pulp that Blixa photoshopped to say "Ms. Jack."

Keep trying though. I'm sure you're about to turn up evidence that I'm up to something truly sinister any minute now . . .
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Oh, and by the way, we've already heard these arguments from Droopy.

He didn't stick around to defend his wild arguments then, and he probably isn't going to stick around to defend them now.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

You did a poor job of defending your idol then, and you're doing a poor job of defending him now.

Now that you're out of your den after a long winter's nap, perhaps you could come up with something a bit more...oh, misogynistic; something that would give your accusations at least a patina of legitimacy beyond your standard technique of inflating common, garden variety insults aimed at very disagreeable people as signs of broad based psychopathology.

Something, in other words, beyond the special pleading of a vindictive character assassin

How would I measure "credibility or respect outside [my] own little matrix"? Would articles in Christian periodicals and interviews with national television shows and newspapers count? Would being asked to introduce speakers at the FAIR Conference and write for the Mormon gateway at Patheos count? Or are they part of my matrix, too?

None of these are, in any necessary way, signs of credibility. There snapshots of your life, not signs of credibility. Al Gore is infinitely more well known, has done far more interviews and articles than you likely ever will, and written several major books, and done a major Hollywood move, and he has no credibility, so where does this leave you? Lots of intellectuals throughout history have had public venues, but little or no credibility. Credibility is grounded in intellectual substance and intellectual integrity, not the venues you've been given to peddle your intellectual wares. You're behavior here, regarding your disingenuous witch hunt against an apologist who threatened your fragile worldview, is the issue at hand.

CFR. I would like to hear some examples of myself "gnawing on the Book of Abraham." Should be easy for you to find since it's such a favorite pastime of mine.

Did I mention you? It is the favorite pastime of many here, and always has been. In any case, when any of you think of Will, you think of the Book of Abraham and the distinct possibility that the wall of voodoo you have built up around it could come tumbling down at any time. That was the basis of the entire Will dogpile, and we among those who defend the Church...as well as you, know that perfectly well.

I'm pretty sure I made an effort to understand what the Book of Abraham actually says when I took that Pearl of Great Price class as a freshman at BYU. Got an A in it, too.

You're "pretty sure?" Hardly compelling, considering the source.

No. It's a picture of some bad pulp that Blixa photoshopped to say "Ms. Jack."

Nice dodge.

Keep trying though. I'm sure you're about to turn up evidence that I'm up to something truly sinister any minute now . . .

And wouldn't that be poetic justice...

- Thomas Sowell
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Droopy wrote:Now that you're out of your den after a long winter's nap,

At least you didn't tell me that I climbed out from under my house.

Droopy wrote:perhaps you could come up with something a bit more...oh, misogynistic;

I already laid out my case substantively; you failed to engage it. You saying "nuh uh" doesn't change that.

Droopy wrote:None of these are signs of credibility. You're behavior here, regarding your disingenuous witch hunt against an apologist who threatened your fragile worldview, is the issue at hand.

Again, CFR. What fragile worldview of mine did William threaten?

Droopy wrote:Did I mention you? It is the favorite pastime of many here, and always has been.

Yes. You used the second-person pronoun "you." This would indicate that you were speaking to me.

Droopy wrote:You're "pretty sure?" Hardly compelling, considering the source.

I agree; BYU courses on ancient scripture really don't provide the most rigorous course of study. But rest assured, I made a sincere attempt at understanding the Book of Abraham.

Droopy wrote:Nice dodge.

I'm lost. What am I dodging again?

_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

MsJack wrote:Oh, and by the way, we've already heard these arguments from Droopy.

He didn't stick around to defend his wild arguments then, and he probably isn't going to stick around to defend them now.

No, I only stuck around for upwards of two weeks on a near daily basis defending them, amongst other well known apologists in the mix. I left when Wade's characterization of this place as a "cesspool" made me realize that the time had come to abandon the ship to the rats.

All of you here, you included, lost that argument miserably, and were exposed as the pack of snapping, drooling, deeply threatened hyenas that you symbolically are.

I've followed anti-Mormonism, EV and secular, for over thirty years now, and the Will episode was indicative of the presence in the apologetic community of someone who represented, at that time, a rather unique existential threat to the anti-Mormon, and especially ex-Mormon template.

Hence, the sheer viciousness and relentlessness of the lynching.

- Thomas Sowell