Schryver from Kinderhook Bomb

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Schryver from Kinderhook Bomb

Post by _MsJack »

Will Schryver wrote:Just as Trevor’s “Silence Schryver” gambit ultimately failed in its objective and only served to dispel the mirage of his own false reputation, so now has MsJack chosen to break herself on the same stone. Of course, maybe it’s for the best. Now she can, deprived of any further pretensions to moral superiority, shamelessly join the rest of the GSTP women in the infamous “Goddess Suite” for a raucous session of suggestive excess.

MsJack wrote:[Belinda Schryver,] [t]hanks for dropping by. Oh, and by the way, please do me a favor and let your husband know that comments like this:

William Schryver wrote:[S]o now has MsJack chosen to break herself on the same stone. Of course, maybe it’s for the best. Now she can, deprived of any further pretensions to moral superiority, shamelessly join the rest of the GSTP women in the infamous “Goddess Suite” for a raucous session of suggestive excess.

Wherein he speculates on what types of sex acts I might like to engage in are completely unwarranted, unwelcome, inappropriate, and out of line. I haven't brought it up with him directly because he's been proven to do a very poor job of listening when women tell him that his comments about them are unwanted and inappropriate, but perhaps you can help me out.

viewtopic.php?p=455495#p455495

Which part of "unwarranted," "unwelcome," "inappropriate," and "out of line" did you NOT understand?

This is exactly what I was talking about. You are a creepy, creepy person, William.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

MsJack wrote:
Droopy wrote:3.The personal visitation to Joseph Smith and others of physical, resurrected beings, such as Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James, and John etc., to restore keys and ordinances.

I don't believe that it happened ...

Don't You believe it?
Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James, and John have the saving grace that they are real persons - according the Bible.

Then what about Elias AND Elijah? Two important person of the angelic throng.
One of them is simply a translation error of the KJV. We can pick which one.
Don't You believe?

Droopy himself may have some reservation with their appearance, so he has left them out from the list...

The detailed description is readable in D&C 110:12-16.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Droopy wrote:
Exactly and precisely what you initiated against me and the way you have treated me in every exchange we've ever had.

Believe me, I'll try to learn my lesson to never engage with you again. But I can't let this lie pass. You have a short memory.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

ludwigm wrote:Don't You believe it?
Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James, and John have the saving grace that they are real persons - according the Bible.

Then what about Elias AND Elijah? Two important person of the angelic throng.
One of them is simply a translation error of the KJV. We can pick which one.
Don't You believe?

Droopy himself may have some reservation with their appearance, so he has left them out from the list...

The detailed description is readable in D&C 110:12-16.

I believe Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James and John existed. I believe Elisha and Elijah existed. I understand why those who don't believe in the inspiration of the Bible would doubt the existence of most of those figures, but as a Christian, I do believe they lived.

I don't believe any of them appeared to Joseph Smith and ordained him to anything.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

MsJack wrote:I believe Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James and John existed. I believe Elisha and Elijah existed. I understand why those who don't believe in the inspiration of the Bible would doubt the existence of most of those figures, but as a Christian, I do believe they lived.

I don't believe any of them appeared to Joseph Smith and ordained him to anything.

I think it's probable that some of them are fictional characters - particularly Noah and Moses. Probably Abraham too.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Blixa wrote:
Droopy wrote:
Exactly and precisely what you initiated against me and the way you have treated me in every exchange we've ever had.

Believe me, I'll try to learn my lesson to never engage with you again. But I can't let this lie pass. You have a short memory.

I don't lie. I'll leave that to the amoeboid creatures that float about in the Cesspark seeking whom they can devour. I don't recall a single instance when you've ever engaged me here in which you were not in full vision-of-the-anointed mode.

Never engage me again? You won't get any argument from me there.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

MsJack wrote:I believe Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James and John existed. I believe Elisha and Elijah existed. I understand why those who don't believe in the inspiration of the Bible would doubt the existence of most of those figures, but as a Christian, I do believe they lived.

Would you be offended I suggested that you might modify the bolded bit to read 'being the particular type of Christian that I am'?

I have known many devout Christians who would have severe doubts about the historicity of Noah and Enoch, probably Abraham, and even Moses. That did not mean they thought the Bible did not embody the Word of God - just that it was not always a factual news report, and needed (in their view) God-given human wit to understand its purposes aright.

Do you have any problem in calling people like that 'Christians'? No skin off my (now atheist) nose either way - I am just curious.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_ELYSAB
_Emeritus

Post by _ELYSAB »

I could see so greatest discussions going on about Kinderhook BOMB. It should be the themme of discussion going on also in other topic:
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... =1&t=20022
Conclusions about the CHARACTORS from the CARACTORS LIST:

about the TRANSLATION of CHARACTERS and small WORDS that are on the list named CARACTORS, made by Joseph Smith through making copy of characters copied from Gold Plates used to translate the Book of Mormon.

As far as I went on, with a general previous translation, and then with in depth translation (linking to the source of characters, as from several type of Old Italic alphabet, and from Standard Old Greek Language and even to Ancient Greek, Phoenician characters, etc.), it could be concluded that the LANGUAGE USED BY THE NEPHITE PEOPLE WAS:

1) - Basically, for general purposes, the NEPHITIC language and characters were very alike the OLD ITALIC characters LANGUAGES (as some blend of Ancient Latin, Etruscan, Adriatic/Picene, Oscan, Umbrian, Sabina,Sabina-Tiberina, Etrurian,Campania-Osca, Samnio, Campania, etc.). Several names could mean the same thing, as they came from several authors, several sources and regions/times, providing quite similar characters and language features.

2) - Quite like some "clusters" of people living in "cultural-religious" alike "ghettos" (resembling JEWISH ones, as living in towns of Poland, and not having great "mixing with neighbors", the Nephites were like a BIG FAMILY COMMUNITY, that also had their own "language, religion", that was not the "plain orthodox Judaism", but was not also Pagan religions surrounding them).
Thus they had "PRIESTS, not the same as in Judaism". They had such PRIESTS already in captivity in Lebanon (Phoenicia), Joel 3:6. They helped them survive as "hidden nation" through Phoenicia, Greece and Italy. Priests ordered Nephites to build, as in ITAliah the TOMBS (as discovered since 1830), that are like Indian MOUNDS, also mentioned in Bible... Jesus was "buried" in a TOMB.

Because of such PRIESTS, they had written and spoken/verbal/tradition "memory" of those days of slavery in Lebanon, in Greece and of going to be free and living in freedom in ITA-LIAh. Some their names and surnames, recorded in ITAliah (and in use up to todays), remained the same or almost identical to those recorded in Book of Mormon. As Moroni, the classic example.

Because of them, it was preserved the way they "used" Phoenician and Greek language and characters, together with Hebrew, to organize their own and hybrid "family/group community of slaves" and their language, the Nephitic = SAB-ELLI's language, quite alike in Caractors language, even being living in the family of OLD ITALIC ALPHABETS.

Thus such "family-group" (of "good parents) of special "racial-religious group", quite alike some "Jewish groups" that were to live segregated in some nations for years ahead, had quite like their DIALECT for their INTERNAL USE. Thus they could use some characters that were of same meaning of those being used by surrounding people of OLD ITALIC ALPHABETS and replace them by same meaning and value characters from GREEK and PHOENICIAN characters. Could write to right or left or alternate.

For sure (due to their Priests) they were able even to write in Hebrew, knowing that Hebrew and Phoenician (and thus Greek and thus Sabellian = Nephitic) all were just REFORMED EGYPTIAN LANGUAGES and CHARACTERS: just originated from the same source, the same origin of semitic languages, at the same point in Sinai: originated from the same EGYPTIAN LANGUAGE.
Best personal regards, ELY - SAB.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Chap wrote:Would you be offended I suggested that you might modify the bolded bit to read 'being the particular type of Christian that I am'?

No. I actually thought about using a more qualified phrase for that reason, but I needed to finish the post and step away from my computer at the moment.

_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Droopy ~ Your questions:

Droopy wrote:1.The First Vision.

It's possible that someone or something did appear to Joseph Smith in the grove. I don't believe it was God the Father & Jesus Christ telling Joseph Smith that all other Christian churches were wrong---I think that was added as Joseph Smith's theology and ecclesiology developed---but I'm not opposed to the idea that Joseph did really have some visionary experience there. The entirety of the 1832 account of the First Vision could have really happened and it would be completely consistent with my own theological worldview.

But there seems to be a problem of logical consistency here. You assert that elements of the 1832 are not compatible with your general worldview, and then claim immediately afterword that the entire account is. The 1832 version contains, among other things:

I found that <mankind> did not come unto the Lord but that they had apostatised from the true and living faith and there was no society or denomination that built upon the gospel of Jesus Christ …

the world lieth in sin and at this time and none doeth good no not one they have turned asside from the gospel and keep not (my) commandments they draw near to me with their lips while their hearts are far from me

The concept of the Great Apostasy and the need for a restoration of ministerial authority exists, in fundamental form, in the 1832 account. As later versions can be easily seen as nothing more than expansions of the original experience for different audiences and emphasizing different aspects of the same experience, it would appear that, in accepting the 1832 version, one must accept at least the possibility that the later versions are simply more inclusive and/or more detailed accounts of the whole. If you've already accepted the possibly of a vision, per se, then it would seem hasty to presume such an experience would not be parceled out, over time, as different audiences became open to the implications and ideas expressed in the totality of such an experience, an experience which may have gone on for hours, as far as we know.

Droopy wrote:2.The literal visit of Moroni to Joseph Smith and the physical reality of the gold plates.

I don't believe that it happened. I don't know whether Joseph Smith intentionally made it all up to deceive people, whether he made it all up because he honestly believed in the power of his message and the need to augment that message (i .e. "pious fraud), or had some kind of Beautiful Mind-style mental illness that made him think it was real. I'm pretty apathetic on the matter.

Well, that's a pretty classic Signature Books kind of naturalistic/psychological explanation for pretty much all of Joseph's metaphysical experiences leading to the origin of the church. I would have to term this "anti-Mormon" in the sense that it directly confronts and denies core elements of what LDS understand to be the historic events leading to the restoration of the gospel.

Droopy wrote:3.The personal visitation to Joseph Smith and others of physical, resurrected beings, such as Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Peter, James, and John etc., to restore keys and ordinances.

I don't believe that it happened and I don't believe in "priesthood" in the sense that Mormons teach it. I think the accounts of his ordinations to priesthoods by resurrected beings were added years later to deal with challenges to his authority in the church. Even Richard Bushman has stated that "the late appearance of these accounts raises the possibility of later fabrication" (RSR 75). I imagine it's a pretty standard take on the matter among non-LDS historians.

So this is, again, a direct oppositional perspective to that of the Church and the personal records of events left by the Church's founders. This would have to be understood as contra-Mormon, as the Church's origin claims must be rejected outright if your position is adopted.

Bushman is a careful scholar and, as far as I know, a faithful member. You have here implied that he is open to the possibility that the entire origin narrative of his religion, as well as its devine ministerial authority (priesthood), which he himself holds, is a fabrication. Are you sure you want to go there? Is it not rather quite possible that Bushman is simply, as a rigorous scholar, playing a kind of Devil's advocate by allowing that outside observers, looking at the same evidence, might conclude that the evidence supports later fabrication?

He doesn't say that it does, but allows intellectually honest people outside the Church to follow what the evidence appears to suggest, from within one kind of intellectual template.

"The doctrine of preexistence."

I don't believe that it happened, although I don't think there's anything in the Bible that contradicts it. Kevin Barney's response to Chapter 3 of James Patrick Holding's The Mormon Defenders contains some work on non-LDS Christians who have taught preexistence.

Some of the major Church Fathers taught it, I am quite aware. But if you don't accept this core concept, then this again, is "contra" to settled church teaching.

Droopy wrote:The whole "misogyny" claim I consider to be nothing more than a libel, and a deeply tendentious, if not mendacious one at that.

Well, you're wrong on all counts. And the fact that I critiqued a single Latter-day Saint whose behavior I strenuously objected to (and believed to be very much out of harmony with the teachings of his church) does not make me an "anti-Mormon."

No, I'm not wrong on any counts. I looked at all the evidence you posted, saw a few things that were improper and over-the-top on Will's part, some claims about him that were highly exaggerated and way overwrought, and other things that were clearly a psychological ploy, overwrought to the extent that I suspected a strong feminist streak in the author of the claims of "misogyny." Mysogyny, is, in the way you and others used it against Will, and like "racist," "sexist," and "homophobe," politically correct throwaway lines used to poison the well against existential ideological threats that one feels cannot be critically examined and your case made through rational argument.

When you then claim that you do not argue from the Left, when using its tactics and intellectual categories, are not feminist, when using its intellectual categories and language, and not anti-Mormon when much of your personal views are, indeed, in strong contradiction to core LDS truth claims, and you spend substantial time here on a notorious anti-Mormon message board supporting and boostering the views and psychology of other vehement anti-Mormons, you send mixed messages and create suspicions that you're trying to be all things to everyone while hiding your core perspectives behind a mask of scholarly disinterest.

Perhaps this is part of the reason, as well as the way you tend to retreat behind a wall of snark when challenged strongly, why others here find you a divisive figure.
Pretty disingenuous of you to cite this thread without citing my thorough and in-depth response,

I don't even remember my participation in that thread. Over a year ago, and one of countless threads on Joseph's sex life? Clearly, some people invest much more time and intellectual energy in this place than I do. My participation, since the Will dogpile, has been, at the very best, minimal.

I don't deny having feminist inclinations or critiquing the way the LDS church treats women, just as I critique the way many evangelical denominations treat women.

But you balked when I first made the claim a long time back. So too you reacted when I openly claimed you had leftist, secularist views. Now, you admit to being an "egalitarian," (i.e., socialist). You are not "anti-Mormon," and yet hold views that would, if accepted, unravel the entire body of core truth claims upon which the Church is erected.

All very interesting.

Until it becomes mind numbingly boring.

I have a daughter who is a member of record with the church and attends the LDS church with her father at least twice a month. I think I would be an irresponsible parent if I didn't keep tabs on what others are teaching my daughter about her identity. None of that makes me "anti-Mormon"

Based on numerous positions you've taken in this forum, I think reasonable people could disagree with this characterization.

though, or else I would also be "anti-evangelical." What it makes me is "anti-patriarchy," or maybe "anti-male-privilege."

Classic, textbook radical feminist intellectual categories (the mythical "patriarchy" standing in here for the "bourgeois" in an earlier template from which much of the philosophical substructure of second and third wave feminism was taken)

I have repeatedly clarified that a good number of feminists wouldn't think I am a feminist because I'm pro-life. I don't have a problem identifying as a feminist, but many of them would object.

So here, again, you are and you aren't. Reminds me of that old Chuck Berry song, Reelin' and Rockin':

"Sometimes I will, then again I think I won't
Sometimes I will, then again I think I won't
Sometimes I do, then again I think I don't"

Yeah, that's right Droopy, I'm a "leftist." The kind of "leftist" who can count the number of Democrats that she's voted for on one hand.

Whatever. I'm not nearly as interested in your cries of foul as I am in the arguments you actually make here.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell