Books I Haven't Read 1: The Vision of the Annointed

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Books I Haven't Read 1: The Vision of the Annointed

Post by _Gadianton »

The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy

I have not read this book and I have no plans to read it.

Here are what a few of the raving reviewers giving the book five stars say about it:

Amazon reviewer wrote:...when I saw the subtitle of Sowell's book, Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy, I knew I had to read it. I was not disappointed.

Why would the subtitle make the book so compelling?

Another writes:

Amazon reviewer wrote:Sowell seems to be letting off a lot of personal steam in this book, again making it a more enjoyable...

Can you imagine a career academic seriously writing a book making the case that the grounds for all social policy in America is "self importance"? Only if the author is "letting off steam" I think, and readers who wish to get a little angry themselves are compelled to read it.

There are two kinds of people in the world. The self-righteous like to tell others how to live their lives and wish to make laws. These people we call liberals. The humble, good folk let others do what they want out of respect for autonomy. And they prefer not to make laws. Surely, this can't be the basis of an entire book?

Well, according to the 5-star reviewers, it is:

Amazon reviewer wrote:Liberalism is a demeaning belief system that seeks to exercise control over others. Liberals do what they do not because they really want to help others but to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Amazon reviewer wrote:Dr. Sowell's thesis is that there are self-anointed people--liberals--who believe that it is their mission to run people's lives.

Amazon reviewer wrote:Early in the book Sowell makes it clear that the anointed vision is predominant not because it is empirically correct, but because it provides its visionaries with a sense of being on the moral high ground compared to the benighted others

Amazon reviewer wrote:Here Sowell enlightens us as to the true nature of the self-righteous leftist; a person who believes himself "anointed" while all the rest of us are inferiors by comparison

Amazon reviewer wrote:The central premise of the book is that the policies enacted by liberal thinkers are more about self-aggrandizement than about implementing true...

Amazon reviewer wrote:Far from being a mindless bashing of the left, this book discusses a certain world view based upon a psychology of self-importance and self-congratulation that permits those burdened with these qualities to pronounce for others how to live, think, work, and behave.

Amazon reviewer wrote:This books outlines and analyzes the many legal social policy decisions rendered over the years based upon this group's own ever-growing sense of their own moral superiority

Amazon reviewer wrote:Liberals are not uninformed; they read the same books, newspapers and academic journals as conservatives or libertarians. So why do they so consistently advocate policies whose results are demonstrably contrary to the results they claim to want?

What a earth-shattering, original idea. The world is in trouble because the people making laws are a bunch of arrogant pricks. I haven't read the book, so if what I've given is not a fair synopsis of Sowell's work, then he better be writing for money and fame and hope his fan base holds no real power.

Some consider this book to be among the top 10 most important books written, EVER. (one reviewer put it in the top 3)

It is not an important book at all, it turns out.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Books I Haven't Read 1: The Vision of the Annointed

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Gadianton wrote:It is not an important book at all, it turns out.

And you know this without having read the book?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

That is my opinion, Dr. Shades.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton,

Unfortunately, I have read this book. It sucked (for lack of a better word). My advice is that if you are the type of person who burns only two books a year, then burn this book twice.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

LOL! Great idea Wang Chung.

If someone would only send me a copy as a gift.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Gadianton,

Unfortunately, I have read this book. It sucked (for lack of a better word). My advice is that if you are the type of person who burns only two books a year, then burn this book twice.

Genius. I abhor book burnings, but I am willing to make an exception for this tripe.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

I haven't read this book either, but how does this relate to Mormonism?
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Well AS, that's a great question. I'll bet Droopy has an answer for that.

Droopy?
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Kishkumen wrote:Genius. I abhor book burnings, but I am willing to make an exception for this tripe.

Have you read the book?

Thomas Sowell is extraordinarily bright and insightful.

I'm betting you haven't.

Chris Smith's recent paper at BYU was "excellent," though you hadn't actually read it.

Dr. Sowell's book is "tripe," though you probably haven't read it.

Saves time, I guess.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Daniel Peterson wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:Genius. I abhor book burnings, but I am willing to make an exception for this tripe.

Have you read the book?

Thomas Sowell is extraordinarily bright and insightful.

I'm betting you haven't.

Chris Smith's recent paper at BYU was "excellent," though you hadn't actually read it.

Dr. Sowell's book is "tripe," though you probably haven't read it.

Saves time, I guess.

Kind of like that review of the Book of Mormon musical.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.