Off topic from Worst LDS talks ever

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Worst LDS talks ever

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor Scratch wrote:For the Italian speakers here: Would it be correct to call Will Schryver a "misogino"?

I think it would be correct to call WS many things however, I only know Italian street insults so I'm not sure I'm the right person to weigh in here.

On the other hand, overly pretentious misogynistic asshat works pretty well.

Don'tcha think?
:-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Will Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _Will Schryver »

Darth J wrote:/snip lame attempt to bluff your way out your embarrassment/

Don't feel too bad, though--I have never known any Italian RMs who learned how to use the subjunctive very well, if at all. And I won't hold it against you for not knowing how to spell "sprecare," nor failing to understand what "se la dice" means, in the context of what I wrote. I mean, after all, you were only there a short time, and you probably haven't had much occasion to use it since then. I'm actually impressed that you understood anything I wrote.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I thought myself the wiser to have viewed the evidence left of such a great demise. I followed every step. But the only thing I ever learned before the journey's end was there was nothing there to learn, only something to forget.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Re: Off topic from Worst LDS talks ever

Post by _Darth J »

So, Will......let me see if I understand what you're doing here.

You are trying to make it look as if you are right and I am wrong about the Italian language. For the sake of argument, I'll say for now that your position is correct.

In other words, you speak Italian, and, as a person who speaks that language, are in a position to judge whether or not someone else is also able to correctly interpret that language. Since, for argument's sake, I am getting it wrong, you want everyone looking at this board to know that I don't know what I'm talking about when I claim to be able to speak Italian.

Would you then be willing to extrapolate your premise into a general principle: that if Person A claims to be able to interpret a foreign language, and Person B actually does understand the foreign language and is able to say that Person A does not know what he is talking about, we can safely conclude that Person A was lying when he claimed to be able to interpret that foreign language?

Why or why not?
_Will Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _Will Schryver »

You should probably avoid poker, since knowing when to fold is clearly a concept that eludes you ...
I thought myself the wiser to have viewed the evidence left of such a great demise. I followed every step. But the only thing I ever learned before the journey's end was there was nothing there to learn, only something to forget.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Will Schryver wrote:You should probably avoid poker, since knowing when to fold is clearly a concept that eludes you ...

Why not just answer the question?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Will Schryver wrote:
Darth J wrote:/snip lame attempt to bluff your way out your embarrassment/

I really am not too good at bluffing, I guess. I mean, here I am providing links and everything so people can see for themselves, while you just reflexively gainsay whatever I say.

Clearly, I am the one who is bluffing.

Don't feel too bad, though--I have never known any Italian RMs who learned how to use the subjunctive very well, if at all.

Gee, that's funny. And here I was being told in the MTC that we had the gift of tongues.

And I won't hold it against you for not knowing how to spell "sprecare,"

Nor the numerous native Italian speakers who also spell it that way.

nor failing to understand what "se la dice" means, in the context of what I wrote.

Yes, whenever anyone disagrees with your assertions, they are not understanding you. You're trying to say, "that's how it is said." Jesus Christ, a stadium full of emo teenagers would not be as misunderstood as you are.

So, Will, in which class did they teach you to go around asking, "Come se la dice _____?" when you wanted to know how to say something?

I mean, after all, you were only there a short time, and you probably haven't had much occasion to use it since then. I'm actually impressed that you understood anything I wrote.

I take it, then, that you will agree with me that the test of whether someone who claims to understand a foreign language does in fact understand that foreign language is by having the alleged speaker's translation reviewed by a person who actually understands that foreign language.

Right?
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Will Schryver wrote:You should probably avoid poker, since knowing when to fold is clearly a concept that eludes you ...

Oh, so you call?

Okay, what's your answer to my question?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Darth J wrote:I take it, then, that you will agree with me that the test of whether someone who claims to understand a foreign language does in fact understand that foreign language is by having the alleged speaker's translation reviewed by a person who actually understands that foreign language.

Right?

That makes sense. The real reference point for any language is a native speaker.

Go to it, the two of you! I am sure Schryver will agree readily.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Will Schryver wrote:And I won't hold it against you for not knowing how to spell "sprecare,"

Nor will I hold it against you for not knowing how to spell your own name in Italian.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13112&p=324703&hilit=+guglielmo+#p324703

After all, the way to know if someone is really capable of interpreting a language like he claims to be is by objectively verifying his purported interpretations.

Don't you agree?
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Chap wrote:
Darth J wrote:I take it, then, that you will agree with me that the test of whether someone who claims to understand a foreign language does in fact understand that foreign language is by having the alleged speaker's translation reviewed by a person who actually understands that foreign language.

Right?

That makes sense. The real reference point for any language is a native speaker.

Go to it, the two of you! I am sure Schryver will agree readily.

Of course he will, Chap. Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't any reasonable person agree?