Robert Ritner Gives the Final Word on the Missing Scroll!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Carton
_Emeritus

Robert Ritner Gives the Final Word on the Missing Scroll!

Post by _Carton »

Amazing happenings at MDD last night. It wasn't up long, but someone I know managed to grab a screenshot of it before it disappeared and I found it in my Inbox this morning.

In the "Scroll-Length" topic at MDD, Kevin Graham posted a description of an email he says he received from Robert Ritner last night:

Xander, on 17 November 2011 - 07:19 PM, said:

Just a short comment. I received an email from Robert Ritner this evening, informing me that he has read through this exchange and that Andrew and Chris have it right. The apologists have it wrong. Ritner is about to publish his volume on this subject in January, and he said he actually references Chris and Andrew's work. Great job guys.

Ritner, for those who do not know, is perhaps the world's authority in Egyptology. He was John Gee's teacher at Yale and currently heads the dept at the University of Chicago.

Ritner is going to be citing the Cook/Smith article in an upcoming book. Wow! So what does this mean for the future of the missing scroll debate? Does this put an end to that whole line of argument, even before Schryver was ever able to get his article published?
"I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not."
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_brade
_Emeritus

Re: Robert Ritner Gives the Final Word on the Missing Scroll!

Post by _brade »

Ritner's work won't count because he's biased against Mormonism. Amiright?
_Carton
_Emeritus

Post by _Carton »

brade wrote:Ritner's work won't count because he's biased against Mormonism. Amiright?

Plus, he's gay, and has had a chip on his shoulder ever since he saw that Prop 8 movie.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Carton wrote:Amazing happenings at MDD last night.

That's odd? :)

It wasn't up long, but someone I know managed to grab a screenshot of it before it disappeared and I found it in my Inbox this morning.

Things "diaappear" from the MAD?
That's also odd? :)

he said he actually references Chris and Andrew's work.

As a huge fan of Chris, I say "Good on him"

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Carton
_Emeritus

Post by _Carton »

Ceeboo wrote:"Good on him"

Doesn't John Gee claim the scroll was as long as an aircraft carrier?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I'm having a hard time deciding who to trust on this issue. On one hand we have Robert Ritner, one of the most pre-eminent scholars of Egyptology in the entire world. On the other hand we have Will Schryver.

I just don't know.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Carton
_Emeritus

Post by _Carton »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding who to trust on this issue. On one hand we have Robert Ritner, one of the most pre-eminent scholars of Egyptology in the entire world. On the other hand we have Will Schryver.

I just don't know.

It's an apostate/homosexual conspiracy to silence the truth.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

brade wrote:
Ritner's work won't count because he's biased against Mormonism. Amiright?

Certainly. I have seen this played through before.

Of course it won't look so good the second (or is it the third time?) round, since there are a lot of people who have seen DCP and others publicly deflated when they have tried to huff and puff into the "See, Ritner is a bad guy" balloon. But of course they can bombinate unopposed on the MAD board.

But whatever Gee, Schryver and DCP actually SAY, we know that this will make it just that little bit less likely that the Book of Abraham will continue to be given the kind of highly committed defense it has received in the past.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Carton
_Emeritus

Post by _Carton »

Chap wrote:But whatever Gee, Schryver and DCP actually SAY, we know that this will make it just that little bit less likely that the Book of Abraham will continue to be given the kind of highly committed defense it has received in the past.

You could be right. This could be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back of the Book of Abraham. Could we see it decanonized before long?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Carton wrote:
Chap wrote:But whatever Gee, Schryver and DCP actually SAY, we know that this will make it just that little bit less likely that the Book of Abraham will continue to be given the kind of highly committed defense it has received in the past.

You could be right. This could be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back of the Book of Abraham. Could we see it decanonized before long?

If that happens, there will probably be a lengthy process of de-emphasis first, so the members don't notice the change too much. Maybe it has already begun?

When was the Book of Abraham last referenced extensively in a speech in General Conference?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.