The two greatest BLUNDERS of Bruce R. McConkie

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Re: The two greatest BLUNDERS of Bruce R. McConkie

Post by _bcspace »

Not a problem. Most members know that BRM's "Mormon Doctrine" was never considered a doctrinal work by the Church.

That's just your personal opinion. It is not official doctrine that "Mormon Doctrine" is not official doctrine.

Yes it is. BRM's Mormon Doctrine is not published by the Church. Hence:

With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/approaching-mormon-doctrine

...it is not doctrine.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

bcspace wrote:
With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications.

It's just the personal opinion of the anonymous writer of the press release, it's not official church doctrine.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Buffalo wrote:
bcspace wrote:Not a problem. Most members know that BRM's "Mormon Doctrine" was never considered a doctrinal work by the Church.

How does one get to be an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ without being aware of the doctrine?

LOL absolutely the biggest laugh of the day Buffalo!
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It is interesting that a man of Elder McConkie's temperment would become an Apostle, but maybe that is a manifestation of God's mercy, forgiveness and His hope for our redemption.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

bcspace wrote:Not a problem. Most members know that BRM's "Mormon Doctrine" was never considered a doctrinal work by the Church.

While BRM's "Mormon Doctrine" Book is not considered a doctrinal work by the LDS Church today in 2012, it indeed was considered a doctrinal work by the LDS Church back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I got that copy of the "Mormon Doctrine" Book while I was a Missionary for the LDS Church back in the 90's.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Daheshist
_Emeritus

Post by _Daheshist »

Every Mormon I knew when I was active...81 to 86...had a copy. I didn't have a copy, because I was at the Institute Library all the time (practically lived there), so I did not feel I had to buy another copy. I just used one in the Institute...which had I think 5 copies.

I saw people quote from it in Sunday School. Most of the missionaries had a copy. I did not take one. I took "Answers to Gospel Questions" (three volumes), a Marvelous Work and a Wonder, and the Miracle of Forgiveness. I cannot BELIEVE that I used to be a McConkite!!! Oh my God....how STUPID could I have been???

Actually, this is a brief disclaimer in the front of Mormon Doctrine, that McConkie was forced to write, saying he took responsibility for the teachings inside. Of course, the "dogmatic" form of how he wrote, make the disclaimer useless (as he intended I'm sure).

The Church COULD have banned the book (as David McKay wanted), but the plain truth is....the Smith/McConkie clan had POWER in the Church back then. That's about it, how much "juice" you have. That's why the book stayed in print from 1959 to 1999. The most popular Mormon book outside of the Scriptures.

Brackite wrote:

While BRM's "Mormon Doctrine" Book is not considered a doctrinal work by the LDS Church today in 2012, it indeed was considered a doctrinal work by the LDS Church back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I got that copy of the "Mormon Doctrine" Book while I was a Missionary for the LDS Church back in the 90's.
_Daheshist
_Emeritus

Post by _Daheshist »

Bruce R. became an Apostle because he was the son-in-law of Joseph Fielding Smith, President of the 12 at the time. There is a LOT of Nepotism in the Church. Want a job at the COB? Be a relative of a
church leader.

moksha wrote:It is interesting that a man of Elder McConkie's temperment would become an Apostle, but maybe that is a manifestation of God's mercy, forgiveness and His hope for our redemption.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Not a problem. Most members know that BRM's "Mormon Doctrine" was never considered a doctrinal work by the Church.

Nope. The current standard for doctrine has been around earlier than that. The GA's taught it in the MTC in the 80's and Teacher Improvement has been around since the 70's. Just because the Church gives it out doesn't mean it's doctrine as publication has been the standard. They used to give out A Marvelous Work and a Wonder and they still give out Miracle of Forgiveness. Like Mormon Doctrine, neither are doctrine nor have they ever been.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Daheshist wrote:Bruce R. became an Apostle because he was the son-in-law of Joseph Fielding Smith, President of the 12 at the time. There is a LOT of Nepotism in the Church. Want a job at the COB? Be a relative of a
church leader.

moksha wrote:It is interesting that a man of Elder McConkie's temperment would become an Apostle, but maybe that is a manifestation of God's mercy, forgiveness and His hope for our redemption.

I think God understands why the Brethren have a fan in their bathroom the same as us. Familarity at family reunions may be common for Church workers and leaders, but God did start the whole thing rolling with the Big Bang.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

bcspace wrote:
Nope.

That's just your personal opinion. It's not official church doctrine.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.