Hoops Has Turned Agnostic/Atheist

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Hoops Has Turned Agnostic/Atheist

Post by _Hoops »

Our city has a wonderful science/natural history museum. I happened to be there today and I was amazed at all the science I had been missing. I walked along the lake in front of the museum, thinking and pondering, and wondering about how much I don't know and how much I do. I now realize that there is very little proof, if any, of any deity. Let alone the christian god. Virtually everything can be explained, and, indeed, was explained, by what I saw at the museum. I freely grant that what I experienced is just the surface of the latest scientific discoveries, but virtually everything I saw made me think. So, I can no longer hold on to my religious beliefs. I'm out. You've won.

Then I went to the art museum across the street and converted back again.
_hobbit
_Emeritus

Re: Hoops Has Turned Agnostic/Atheist

Post by _hobbit »

Cool story.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Go to a museum that has both art and science.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Is there a museum of the science of art?
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Hoops wrote:Our city has a wonderful science/natural history museum. I happened to be there today and I was amazed at all the science I had been missing. I walked along the lake in front of the museum, thinking and pondering, and wondering about how much I don't know and how much I do. I now realize that there is very little proof, if any, of any deity. Let alone the christian god. Virtually everything can be explained, and, indeed, was explained, by what I saw at the museum. I freely grant that what I experienced is just the surface of the latest scientific discoveries, but virtually everything I saw made me think. So, I can no longer hold on to my religious beliefs. I'm out. You've won.

Then I went to the art museum across the street and converted back again.

This made me smile. :mrgreen:

I will also add that after the MTNA Music Festival I had the opportunity to host last weekend, I am especially right there with you. I am STILL on a high from how well my students performed. This type of talent is God-given. :biggrin:
_Eyepatch
_Emeritus

Post by _Eyepatch »

Congratulations. I used to be part of the "phony" wall of Mormon defense. Welcome to being true to the way you really feel.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Is there a museum of the science of art?

Or the art of science?
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Post by _Hoops »

liz3564 wrote:

This made me smile. :mrgreen:

I will also add that after the MTNA Music Festival I had the opportunity to host last weekend, I am especially right there with you. I am STILL on a high from how well my students performed. This type of talent is God-given. :biggrin:

good for you and good for them. They are blessed to have you. :biggrin:
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hoops wrote:Then I went to the art museum across the street and converted back again.

Isn't art even easier to explain than science? By orders of magnitude, even?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Hoops wrote:Then I went to the art museum across the street and converted back again.

Isn't art even easier to explain than science? By orders of magnitude, even?

God must exist because people can paint.

What a brilliant new apologetic...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator