Qool Quotes.....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Re: Qool Quotes.....

Post by _Darth J »

RayAgostini wrote:I'll play (and it's a good thread).

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Therefore, anything that is currently ridiculed and/or violently opposed must be true.

By the way, Ray, the Abominable Snowman rode in my car with me today---on Mars.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of dogmatic skeptics who will reject my claim, simply because they are so closed-minded that their darkened intellects have predetermined what is and isn't possible.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

RayAgostini wrote:
I'll play (and it's a good thread).

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Schopenhauer wasn't always so high minded. He famously declined marrying his young mistress because

"Marrying means, to grasp blindfolded into a sack hoping to find out an eel out of an assembly of snakes."
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

I can't find a rebuttal quote that signifies my neutrality.....so I'll just post something neutered. Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?" Annie Dillard.
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Post by _Hoops »

RayAgostini wrote:

- Arthur Schopenhauer

I do not care very much what men say of me, provided that God approves of me. Sir Thomas More, A Letter to Erasmus
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

RayAgostini wrote:

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Religion seems to be passing through those steps in reverse.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Ray may like this one:
Assuming that [aliens] can overcome a number of stubborn theoretical and practical obstacles (such as harnessing sufficient positive and negative energy and removing the instabilities), it is conceivable that they might be able to colonize the entire galaxy.

This has prompted many people to speculate about why they have not visited us. Where are they? the critics ask.

One possible answer is that perhaps they already have, but we are too primitive to notice. Self-replicating von Neumann probes would be the most practical way of exploring the galaxy, and they do not have to be huge. They might be just a few inches long, because of revolutionary advances in nanotechnology. They might be in plain view, but we don't recognize them because we are looking for the wrong thing, expecting a huge starship carrying aliens from outer space. More than likely the probe will be fully automatic, part organic and part electronic, and will not contain any space aliens at all.

And when we do eventually meet the aliens from space, we may be surprised, because they might have long ago altered their biology using robotics, nanotechnology, and biotechnology.
Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku p. 394.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

asbestosman wrote:Ray may like this one:
Assuming that [aliens] can overcome a number of stubborn theoretical and practical obstacles (such as harnessing sufficient positive and negative energy and removing the instabilities), it is conceivable that they might be able to colonize the entire galaxy.

This has prompted many people to speculate about why they have not visited us. Where are they? the critics ask.

One possible answer is that perhaps they already have, but we are too primitive to notice. Self-replicating von Neumann probes would be the most practical way of exploring the galaxy, and they do not have to be huge. They might be just a few inches long, because of revolutionary advances in nanotechnology. They might be in plain view, but we don't recognize them because we are looking for the wrong thing, expecting a huge starship carrying aliens from outer space. More than likely the probe will be fully automatic, part organic and part electronic, and will not contain any space aliens at all.

And when we do eventually meet the aliens from space, we may be surprised, because they might have long ago altered their biology using robotics, nanotechnology, and biotechnology.
Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku p. 394.

I like Michio. He seems to have a perpetual twinkle in his eye.

I can't figure out though if he is pro materialism, idealism....or neutral.
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

Buffalo wrote:
Religion seems to be passing through those steps in reverse.

:lol:

Appreciation of humor must always trump neutrality.....or anything else.

Tana.