Qool Quotes.....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Qool Quotes.....

Post by _Dantana »

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
_RayAgostini

Re: Qool Quotes.....

Post by _RayAgostini »

"It is really quite amazing by what margins competent but conservative
scientists and engineers can miss the mark, when they start with the
preconceived idea that what they are investigating is impossible. When
this happens, the most well-informed men become blinded by their
prejudices and are unable to see what lies directly ahead of them."

- Arthur C. Clarke, 1963
_RayAgostini

Post by _RayAgostini »

I'll pardon narrow and stunted minds from grasping the following;

Shermer’s Last Law.

Although science has not even remotely destroyed religion, Shermer’s Last Law predicts that the relation between the two will be profoundly affected by contact with an ETI. To find out how, we must follow Clarke’s Second Law: “The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.” Ad astra!

Shermer just wants a "natural explanation", but it's not outlandish at all, it's just that many of his "followers" don't at all understand what he's getting at. I'd be ridiculed here, and have been, for advocating the very same ideas.

Scroll down to the Dawkins interview:

Governments Opening Secret UFO Files, and the Debate Goes On: Are They Here?.

As usual, I expect the darkened in mind, anti-God, anti-religion, and anti-Mormon Darth J to come up with some wise cracks about me.

Go ahead and lap it up, since he's your "hero poster boy".
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

RayAgostini wrote:
"It is really quite amazing by what margins competent but conservative
scientists and engineers can miss the mark, when they start with the
preconceived idea that what they are investigating is impossible. When
this happens, the most well-informed men become blinded by their
prejudices and are unable to see what lies directly ahead of them."

- Arthur C. Clarke, 1963

Thanks Ray.
And another Watterson-

"That's the whole problem with science. You've got a bunch of empiricists trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder".
_RayAgostini

Post by _RayAgostini »

I also like quoting from heretics:

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." - Galileo Galilei

Or even Einstein:

"When I examined myself and my methods of thought, I came to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." - A. Einstein

More? I have plenty.

"If we will only allow that, as we progress, we remain unsure, we will leave opportunities for alternatives. We will not become enthusiastic for the fact, the knowledge, the absolute truth of the day, but remain always uncertain... In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar." - Richard Feynman
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it."
- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights, Ch. 9
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

RayAgostini wrote:

Or even Einstein:

"When I examined myself and my methods of thought, I came to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." - A. Einstein

I love an Einstein quote....especially when it promotes my worldview.

I don't know.....I'm just making it up as I go, but if anybody wants to play, it might be interesting to see this thread consist of quotes rebutting/addressing quotes (with some clarification/commentary) ....and dialog kept to a minimum.
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

zeezrom wrote:
"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it."
- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights, Ch. 9

Sorry to cover up your post Z. Here, I'll fix that.
_RayAgostini

Post by _RayAgostini »

tana wrote:I love an Einstein quote....especially when it promotes my worldview.

I don't know.....I'm just making it up as I go, but if anybody wants to play, it might be interesting to see this thread consist of quotes rebutting/addressing quotes (with some clarification/commentary) ....and dialog kept to a minimum.

I'll play (and it's a good thread).

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

- Arthur Schopenhauer
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

RayAgostini wrote:
As usual, I expect the darkened in mind, anti-God, anti-religion, and anti-Mormon Darth J to come up with some wise cracks about me.

Go ahead and lap it up, since he's your "hero poster boy".

vs.

RayAgostini wrote:You "ex-Mormons" so delight in "free speech", yet you go to any extent to destroy the reputations of Mormons, for one covert reason only - to "shut them up once and for all", by character assassination.

The irony just weeps. You "don't believe in censorship", yet you seek to enforce it by character assassination.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23497&p=576240#p576240