Best Comment on the MDD Dehlin Thread

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Re: Best Comment on the MDD Dehlin Thread

Post by _Equality »

Blixa wrote:mercyngrace continually impresses.

I'll add my amen to that and ask this question, only semi-rhetorically:

Why do the Mormons disparage people who live in trailer parks? Do they think Jesus would do that? Where do they think Jesus' family would have lived if he had been born in late 20th-century America? Where do they think Joseph Smith's family might have resided? When I was a faithful home teacher in Denton, Texas, and then in Goose Creek. South Carolina, I visited many families who lived in mobile home communities. Salt-of-the-earth folks. Honest, hard-working people who don't deserve to be the butt of Mormon sarcasm. Not everyone was blessed enough to be born the son of a Governor. I agree with the poster above who said the person quoted by Kish in the OP lost all credibility on the topic of civility when (1) painting with such a broad brush in referring to this forum so pejoratively and (2) using the "trailer park" as a pejorative.

(As an aside, I would argue that the great majority of the uncivility here at this board comes from the apologetic side of the proverbial aisle).
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Equality wrote:Why do the Mormons disparage people who live in trailer parks? Do they think Jesus would do that?

I don't think Mormons generally do that. A number of Mormons actually live in trailer parks. What we have is a case of a few world-class jerks who have made that the common parlance of "the other board." I don't take every use of it as a literal slam against people who live in trailer parks. It is like, but not exactly like, the unfortunate use of the word "retard" as a putdown. Hey, the people who use it should know better, but they aren't really awful people for doing it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Good point. I shouldn't have said "the Mormons." I should have said "some Mormons."
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

People call this place a trailer park as a way of saying it is low-class, trashy, and uneducated. It's playing on white trash stereotypes. One of the side-effects of using "trailer park" over and over as a term of insult is it does cause rhetorical blow-back on actual trailer park residents. The comparison to retard is apt.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Kishkumen wrote:I don't think Mormons generally do that. A number of Mormons actually live in trailer parks. What we have is a case of a few world-class jerks who have made that the common parlance of "the other board." I don't take every use of it as a literal slam against people who live in trailer parks. It is like, but not exactly like, the unfortunate use of the word "r*****" as a putdown. Hey, the people who use it should know better, but they aren't really awful people for doing it.

I agree that not every person who uses the phrase "the trailer park" to refer to this board is intentionally trying to disparage people who live in trailer parks, but that is the etymology of the phrase, and respectable Mormons really ought to quit using it.

The whole thing is kind of like the time Hinckley tried to urge men to attend college by saying something like, "Do you want to marry a girl who is more educated than you are?" Showing concern for the declining numbers of men attending college = good. Implying that there is something wrong with women being more educated than men = bad.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:I agree that not every person who uses the phrase "the trailer park" to refer to this board is intentionally trying to disparage people who live in trailer parks, but that is the etymology of the phrase, and respectable Mormons really ought to quit using it.

Agreed.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

It sounds like their goal is to be different from MDB. Hey, at least they respect us.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Praise for those who ask for moderation-- defined as balance and justice and truth. Moderation is not in this case defined as the actions (or inaction, depending on who is involved) of Nemesis and friends.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

EAllusion wrote:People call this place a trailer park as a way of saying it is low-class, trashy, and uneducated. It's playing on white trash stereotypes. One of the side-effects of using "trailer park" over and over as a term of insult is it does cause rhetorical blow-back on actual trailer park residents.

The great irony of course being that most of the critics posting here have advanced degrees. It's a more abrasive posting environment but people post to the rule level of any given forum. I post nicer in the Celestial than Terrestrial because that's the level of discourse the OP desires.
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_jskains
_Emeritus

Post by _jskains »

This place is not a great place for mature dialogue, which is why it is disparaged. The behavior here is insulting, childish crude, and hateful.

The flaw is that MDD isn't exactly a place for free thought either. So it is what it is.

JMS
Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds - Albert Einstein