Church changes wording on new tithing slips

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Spurven Ten Sing
_Emeritus

Re: Church changes wording on new tithing slips

Post by _Spurven Ten Sing »

So does this mean the tithing will go to the Jesus Mall?
"The best website in prehistory." -Paid Actor www.cavemandiaries.com
_Sophocles
_Emeritus

Post by _Sophocles »

It does raise the question of why they are bothering with the disclosure now. Is a scenario in which they are forced to open the books becoming more plausible?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Sophocles wrote:It does raise the question of why they are bothering with the disclosure now. Is a scenario in which they are forced to open the books becoming more plausible?

I doubt it. They probably fielded a lot of demands to see where the money was going, so their response was "wherever we deem it best used." If anything, this is a move to stubbornly insist that you don't have any right to know where it goes after you donate it. I think the best response is to stop giving until they open the books. Let them live off of their investments.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Spurven Ten Sing wrote:So does this mean the tithing will go to the Jesus Mall?

It already HAS gone there.
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

RockSlider wrote:This is my concern, I've continued to pay fast offerings as that money used to stay local and was given to help locals with food/bills etc.

Can/should we assume this is no longer the case with fast offerings?

At this point you'd probably be better off finding a worthy charity. Giving it to the church, you'll just never know for sure.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Joseph Antley wrote:But at least now they say on the slips that your money might not be used for what you intended it to be. That's progress, right

At the same time it helps undermine the apologetic catch phrase, "... but no tithing funds were used to ... ".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

liz3564 wrote:
Spurven Ten Sing wrote:So does this mean the tithing will go to the Jesus Mall?

It already HAS gone there.

How can you be sure? Hasn't the church claimed the exact opposite (whether or not we believe it)?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

I think one issue is that the amendment was made quietly, with no announcement. Why?

Secondly, this is a preemptive cover up so that when it becomes apparent to members that tithing was actually used for things like the City Creek Mall then the Leaders can claim they have done nothing wrong.

"Give us your money and we will do whatever we want with it"
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

You don't know that, Nobody knows for sure, You weren't there.
_Lucifer
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucifer »

Joseph Antley wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:It is meaningless because no one can verify what they do with the money anyways.

But at least now they say on the slips that your money might not be used for what you intended it to be. That's progress, right

Your apostasy is showing. Welcome!

\m/
But Satan now is wiser than of yore, and tempts by making rich, not making poor ~Alexander Pope
Let's go shopping! ~Thomas S. Monson