Church changes wording on new tithing slips

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Joseph Antley
_Emeritus

Church changes wording on new tithing slips

Post by _Joseph Antley »

What do you think of this change in the new tithing slips?

Previous wording: “All donations to the Church’s missionary fund becomes the property of the Church to be used at the Church’s sole discretion in its missionary program.”

New wording: “Though reasonable efforts will be made globally to use donations as designated, all donations become the Church’s property and will be used at the Church’s sole discretion to further the Church’s overall mission.”
"I'd say Joseph, that your anger levels are off the charts. What you are, Joseph, is a bully." - Gadianton
"Antley's anger is approaching...levels of volcanic hatred." - Scratch

http://Twitter.com/jtantley
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Church changes wording on new tithing slips

Post by _Fence Sitter »

It is meaningless because no one can verify what they do with the money anyways.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Joseph Antley
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph Antley »

Fence Sitter wrote:It is meaningless because no one can verify what they do with the money anyways.

But at least now they say on the slips that your money might not be used for what you intended it to be. That's progress, right
"I'd say Joseph, that your anger levels are off the charts. What you are, Joseph, is a bully." - Gadianton
"Antley's anger is approaching...levels of volcanic hatred." - Scratch

http://Twitter.com/jtantley
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Looks like the brethren are circling the wagons just a little bit tighter
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Joseph Antley wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:It is meaningless because no one can verify what they do with the money anyways.

But at least now they say on the slips that your money might not be used for what you intended it to be. That's progress, right

Thanks for the hearty laugh, Young Antley.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

Joseph Antley wrote:What do you think of this change in the new tithing slips?

Previous wording: “All donations to the Church’s missionary fund becomes the property of the Church to be used at the Church’s sole discretion in its missionary program.”

New wording: “Though reasonable efforts will be made globally to use donations as designated, all donations become the Church’s property and will be used at the Church’s sole discretion to further the Church’s overall mission.”

I don't believe that wording signals a coming change in the handling of donations, but rather is an overdue acknowledgement.

What do you think?
I don't expect to see same-sex marriage in Utah within my lifetime. - Scott Lloyd, Oct 23 2013
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Joseph Antley wrote:

The next step should be slips that ask for bank account information and then they just take out what they want you to donate.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maxrep wrote:I don't believe that wording signals a coming change in the handling of donations, but rather is an overdue acknowledgement.

What do you think?

Exactly. It is a way of saying, "your protest of paying tithing as fast offerings was a clever idea, but just know it never worked. Oh, and thank you for your donation."
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Kishkumen wrote:Exactly. It is a way of saying, "your protest of paying tithing as fast offerings was a clever idea, but just know it never worked. Oh, and thank you for your donation."

This is my concern, I've continued to pay fast offerings as that money used to stay local and was given to help locals with food/bills etc.

Can/should we assume this is no longer the case with fast offerings?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

RockSlider wrote:This is my concern, I've continued to pay fast offerings as that money used to stay local and was given to help locals with food/bills etc.

Can/should we assume this is no longer the case with fast offerings?

I imagine so, but you should check with your local leaders for verification.