From My Informant: Is DCP Finished as Editor of the Review?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

From My Informant: Is DCP Finished as Editor of the Review?

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Disclaimer: If Bradford or Dr. Shades and the moderating team feel that this should be deleted, I'll happily oblige.

My friends, I am a bit aghast over what I've just learned. In my Inbox this morning was a text which, if legitimate, is of enormous consequence. As always, the material should be treated with caution--I'm not certain that this is 100% true, though after asking around a bit, and in light of Kevin Graham's thread, I have powerful reasons to believe that this "intel" is correct.

Though I'm tempted to provide a lot of set-up and context, I think it would be best if I simply cut to the chase. According to my informant and the information s/he provided:

Daniel C. Peterson will no longer be the editor of the Mormon Studies Review.

In effect, his multidecade "reign of terror" has come to an end. The Powers-that-Be at the Maxwell Institute have finally had enough of the polemics and smear campaigns, and thus DCP and Company are being kicked to the curb.

Now lest you be inclined to dismiss all of this as mere rumor, let me add a key detail: I was sent what appears to be the text of an email that was sent to DCP by MI Director M. Gerald Bradford. Here is the entirety of that message (and please bear in mind that I have not confirmed that the text is authentic):

On Jun 14, 2012, at 10:43 AM, [M. Gerald Bradford] <xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx> wrote:

Dear Dan:

I trust all goes well with your travels. I was hoping to hear from you on the Review before you left. Given how far behind it is, we need to decide its future and address our breach of expectations with its subscribers. Our front office staff are even now soliciting subscription renewals for a periodical that is now two issues behind schedule. And I'm unwilling to publish 23:2 as it stands.

I remain convinced that the time has come for us to take the Review in a different direction, along the lines of the prospectus I gave you. But I now realize it was wrong of me to ask you to accept and execute my editorial vision in place of your own. I value you as an academic colleague and I respect your right to pursue the research and publication projects you find inspiring and valuable. I will continue to support you in this regard. But what we need to do to properly affect this change in the Review is to ask someone else, someone working in the mainstream of Mormon studies, who has a comparable vision to my own for what it can accomplish, to edit the publication and devote whatever time it takes to make this happen. I plan to begin the process of finding a new editor right away. At the same time, I would welcome your continued involvement as a member of its soon-to-be-formed editorial advisory board. I believe you will continue to find much in it to commend, and it will be a better publication for your involvement.

I plan to announce that the Review will be on hiatus until this process is completed. In the interim, we will settle things up with our current subscribers. I want to make this announcement as soon as possible and word it the right way.

I’m sensitive to the fact that there are those who would love nothing better than to make something of a change in editors and I’m concerned that we not give them any grounds to do this. I would appreciate any ideas you have along these lines that I might include in this announcement. Please be assured that, while brief, it will be positive and will highlights the important things that the Review has achieved under your helm during the past two decades plus. It will also indicate that the recently christened Mormon Studies Review is going to chart a new course, with a new editorial team, one that will bring it explicitly in-line with the scholarly agenda of the Institute, that will ensure that it clearly complements the Journal and Studies, and that will further enable it to make solid, scholarly contributions to Mormon studies.

Please let me hear from you in the next week or so. I’ll make the announcement sometime around the first of the month.

All the best,

Jerry

If this is true, it would verify what Kevin Graham said about "changes" at the MI, and it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

As always, I need to offer the usual caveats about skepticism and so on. I guess it will become clear in the coming weeks whether this is legitimate or not.

Note: DCP's response to the above message can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24378
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: From My Informant: Is DCP Finished as Editor of the Revi

Post by _Kishkumen »

I'm not buying it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Looks like YouTube claimed another victim. :)

- VRDRC
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Kishkumen wrote:I'm not buying it.

I'm not so sure that I buy it myself, Reverend, though this one should be fairly easy to confirm or deny. Of course, even if text is authentic, I would imagine that the Mopologists will kick up an enormous, riotous stink. So maybe there will be no change after all?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:I'm not buying it.

I'm not so sure that I buy it myself, Reverend, though this one should be fairly easy to confirm or deny. Of course, even if text is authentic, I would imagine that the Mopologists will kick up an enormous, riotous stink. So maybe there will be no change after all?

Don't you think it could be risky to share private, in-house communications that were not intended for public consumption and reveal private/business details?

Frankly, I think this ought to be removed immediately.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Kishkumen wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:I'm not so sure that I buy it myself, Reverend, though this one should be fairly easy to confirm or deny. Of course, even if text is authentic, I would imagine that the Mopologists will kick up an enormous, riotous stink. So maybe there will be no change after all?

Don't you think it could be risky to share private, in-house communications that were not intended for public consumption and reveal private/business details?

Frankly, I think this ought to be removed immediately.

Hmm. Perhaps you're right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Hmm. Perhaps you're right.

Yeah, and when I am served papers because people think we are the same person, you better believe I'll have a lot more than a "hmmm..." on my lips.

I advised the mods to take it down.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Perhaps they are calling him to be bishop of the UVU College Terrace Apartments ward again?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Well Kish, have you read DCP's alleged response? Because I have, and it has DCP written all over it. I don't think anyone could copy his prose to perfection.

I guess we'll find out soon enough, within a few weeks anyway.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

I'm convinced that it's legitimate. On the one hand, I feel bad for DCP: this was his "baby," and he's poured literally decades of his life into it. On the other, this was really his own doing. People--friends and enemies, critics and TBMs--have been telling him for years to tone things down, and to knock off the ad hominem attacks. He just wouldn't listen, and so now he's like Ahab, sinking beneath the waves because he refused to cease with the hostility.

Ultimately, I think this is a good thing. The Review has just been too negative over the years, and I think it's positive that it will move in a more scholarly direction. It's good for the Church, it's good for interfaith relations, and it's good for Mormon Studies in general.

I suppose the big question for me now is, Where will the Mopologists go? Will Midgley, DCP, Hamblin, etc. take over FAIR? Or will they revive SHIELDS? It'll be interesting to see what happens.