DCP Responds to Getting "Fired" from the Review

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Responds to Getting "Fired" from the Review

Post by _consiglieri »

TAK wrote:Copied from MAD..

Posted Today, 07:47 AM
Daniel Peterson, on 21 June 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Second is a serious misunderstanding, on the part of certain Institute and University administrators, of some of my actions, attitudes, and statements, which is very difficult to clear up from thousands of miles away.

?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:

Second is a serious misunderstanding, on the part of certain Institute and University administrators, of some of my actions, attitudes, and statements, which is very difficult to clear up from thousands of miles away.

?

Maybe he needs to rework his self-image.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

consiglieri wrote:

?

I found that peculiar, too, consig. Will Schryver has said that Bradford basically single-handedly plotted and effected this "coup" over the course of a few years, which sounds questionable to me. This above remark from DCP makes me wonder if his online antics were passed along to higher-ups--sort of like what allegedly happened with David Bokovoy. I'd be interested to know which "statements" and "actions" are being referred to here.

Interestingly, Schryver seems convinced that this is going to be "worked out" amongst the Brethren. At this point, it seems like the Mopologists are hoping to use mob tactics to try and force a reversal of the decision--hence why Hamblin posted Bradford's phone no. and email address.

Hopefully I'll hear again from my informant before too much longer.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Hopefully I'll hear again from my informant before too much longer.

I trust you will get further intel. It's interesting that DCP confessed that there are "University administratorS" that oppose him. He won't survive. The General Authorities will hang him should he revolt. Daniel knows that bringing shame to the good name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is an unforgivable sin in Mormonism. His faith must be hanging in the balance.

Paul O
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

None dare call it conspiracy...

William Schryver wrote:Whether or not Dehlin will be excommunicated anytime soon is less important to me than the fact that his true identity and purposes have been greatly illuminated over the course of the past several weeks.  

Hopefully, the powers that be will connect Dehlin's purposes with those of the people who have worked to effect the coup d'état at the Maxwell Institute, and move to thwart them before it is too late.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Cylon wrote:Here's one particularly eloquent voice of reason from the other board:

David T wrote:My thoughts:

I think the way some of this has been handled was unfortunate. I do sincerely wish Dan Peterson the best in his life, and in his pursuits.

However, I see Bradford's desires and intents for the MI, as I've seen them expressed, to be a good ones. The inherent problem with much of the MI/FARMS apologetics is that generally a particular view, or interpretation, or ideology is what is being defended, not simply THE CHURCH, or even its core doctrines and principles. This does lead to alienation of those who do have a desire to see the Church defended, but not differing interprative wings thereof.

I think the absolute best thing being done and the example to set is the work being done by the Church Historian's Press - amazing, groundbreaking documentary editing and textual/contextual notes without being defensive, or trying to justify anything. This is how things are, let the cards be laid out.

The same problem with FARM/MI apologetics was very much the same as was presented in CES course materials - one very specific way of understanding Mormonism and its scriptures was being promulgated and defended, while other very valid and allowable-by-the-current-revelations-and-leadership views we, by omission, marginalized.

I've been a subscriber to MI publications, and have let my subscription to most of them lapse, mainly because of frustration with declarations as fact elements that are not necessary aspects of Mormonism guiding and permeating several of the papers, and their conclusions. (The second issue of Studies of the Bible and Antiquity greatly turned me off of this publication for these very reasons, which I was otherwise quite excited to see begin.)

I think by the way the Church has been handling its newest curriculum (such as the latest Gospel Principles revision), we are seeing an attempt to weed out former speculative assumptions and expositions that had become dogmatic. There's a lot of weeds.

What's fascinating is that the latest Gospel Principles did not narrow the breadth of official interpretive possibilities, but rather quite fascinatingly and subtly widened it.

I feel a continued emphases for the MI on pumping out documents, history, and critiquing history on a scholastic (not dogmatic) level will do far more for the Church in the long run. This way, they will presenting what we know, not just theories and defenses that will need to be disavowed or stepped away from when further information comes to light.

The openness of the Church will be far more faith promoting and confidence-building than constant attempts at damage control of things that, it turns out, don't often really need to, or should be, defended.

The Joseph Smith Papers and the current Church History Department is doing it right. It would be great to see the MI publications continue in the future to follow in this example.

Spot on, David T.

I mostly agree with this assessment, but I still think that there is a place for apologetics.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

harmony wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:Another thing I meant to mention: My Malevolent Stalker, who apparently broke this story, has usually been spectacularly wrong in his "intel." Some of it has been outright laughable. I think he has varying sources. One of them, I happen to know (though I don't know who s/he is), has been planting false but delicious stories with the Stalker, of the kind that the Stalker is known to love. He wolfs them down ravenously. This story, though, is more or less accurate -- though the spin that's being put upon it ranges from in the ballpark to completely absurd.

Right again. All the rest of them were wrong, except this one, which is more or less right. Like all the rest of them matter, after this one?

As much egocentricity, self-delusion and/or being clueless as it would take, I think DCP believes this. Sort of the same ostrich-in-the-sand act that he pulls off to continue to believe in Mormonism despite all the problems of which he is aware, only here believing his own Mormon apologetic press.

Dan, wake up! You've been cooking your own goose for years. There has been sieve-like leaking at NAMIRS, and Dr Scratch's informants have established a heck of a track record. But if you need to keep up the delusion that Dr Scratch has been toyed with, do it if that helps you sleep at nights.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Stormy Waters wrote:None dare call it conspiracy...

William Schryver wrote:Whether or not Dehlin will be excommunicated anytime soon is less important to me than the fact that his true identity and purposes have been greatly illuminated over the course of the past several weeks.  

Hopefully, the powers that be will connect Dehlin's purposes with those of the people who have worked to effect the coup d'état at the Maxwell Institute, and move to thwart them before it is too late.

LOL!!!

OK. Yes, we know that the evil John Dehlin, upon finding that a witch hunt was being conducted against him by a small cadre of ideologues at the Maxwell Institute, appealed to one of the Lord's anointed to help him out--surely the tactic of an apostate turncoat. And the reaction of the "real Mormons" like Schryver was to accuse everyone who disagreed with him and his anti-Dehlin buddies "apostates" (apostle included?). And this nonsense continues in the words of Scott Loyd on MDDB.

What an embarrassing display of obstinacy, obtuseness, and delusional thinking.

Is Will anticipating the excommunication of an apostle over this?

Stunning.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

The gospel according to MCB:

Punk wood, long past its time of usefulness, at the least bit of pressure, will be prone to splintering. Such also is the fate of Gnostic religions.

Each individual receives revelation according to his own desires, and those who claim special connections with the Father of all will eventally be defeated by jealousy.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

sock puppet wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:Another thing I meant to mention: My Malevolent Stalker, who apparently broke this story, has usually been spectacularly wrong in his "intel." Some of it has been outright laughable. I think he has varying sources. One of them, I happen to know (though I don't know who s/he is), has been planting false but delicious stories with the Stalker, of the kind that the Stalker is known to love. He wolfs them down ravenously. This story, though, is more or less accurate -- though the spin that's being put upon it ranges from in the ballpark to completely absurd.

As much egocentricity, self-delusion and/or being clueless as it would take, I think DCP believes this. Sort of the same ostrich-in-the-sand act that he pulls off to continue to believe in Mormonism despite all the problems of which he is aware, only here believing his own Mormon apologetic press.

Dan, wake up! You've been cooking your own goose for years. There has been sieve-like leaking at NAMIRS, and Dr Scratch's informants have established a heck of a track record. But if you need to keep up the delusion that Dr Scratch has been toyed with, do it if that helps you sleep at nights.

Yeah, I don't understand his remarks. Does the MI "leak like a sieve," or is this pretty much the only piece of intel that's ever been correct?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14