Dr. Hamblin gives deeper insight into the workings of the MI

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Re: Dr. Hamblin gives deeper insight into the workings of th

Post by _bcspace »

bcspace, there is no more "alleged" about the emails. Dan has already conceded that they were legit. Scratch was right all along.

If true, then I have no more problem. I do have a problem with making hay as if they were legit before verification of such.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

Confirmed by Daniel Peterson.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... ssion.html

You can quietly exit now.

It’s scarcely a secret that I haven’t received my dismissal enthusiastically.  Thanks to somebody’s leak of two emails, this has already been all over the Web and I’m told it will soon appear, without my participation or involvement, in the mainstream media
_Juggler Vain
_Emeritus

Post by _Juggler Vain »

bcspace wrote:Therefore, the ULTIMATE solution is to stop working for BYU or become even smaller potatoes and just post personal blogs and threads to obscure discussion boards.

John Dehlin has shown bravery and struck out on his own. Perhaps it would be best for "classic FARMS" to do the same. Always risky when employment is involved but it's how things get started.

I have an ULTIMATE-ULTIMATE solution, rather than quitting at BYU or risking further institutional pressure due to a personal blog or obscure discussion board threads.

They can choose anonymity on the internet, and then they can speak their conscience without fear of wrongheaded interference and manipulation by their employers, the LDS Church and its subsidiaries, as well as their ecclesiastical leaders.

(See, they are in the same position as the apostates!)

-JV
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

bcspace wrote:
bcspace, there is no more "alleged" about the emails. Dan has already conceded that they were legit. Scratch was right all along.

If true, then I have no more problem. I do have a problem with making hay as if they were legit before verification of such.

You just don't have a problem with this when it is Breitbart doing it. Or WND, or the wide variety of Right Wing pseudo-journalistic outlets you frequently cite. So it is odd that you would hold a message forum to a much higher standard.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

You just don't have a problem with this when it is Breitbart doing it. Or WND, or the wide variety of Right Wing pseudo-journalistic outlets you frequently cite. So it is odd that you would hold a message forum to a much higher standard.

What's odd is that you don't have any examples of such. But I could go on and on with examples from the mainstream media. Shall we start with the Dan Rather/Bush National Guard service fiasco? How about Obama's birth certificate of which he's never shown an original or an original copy yet Reuters does a huge investigation on Romney's and Obama's lack of constitutional credentials remains on the mainstream media back-burner?
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Abaddon
_Emeritus

Post by _Abaddon »

I know what a lot of acronyms stand for, NAMIRS, FARMS, TCP/IP, but there is a new one that I haven't quite talked it out even after buying a vowel.

OMIDs...

Can someone help me out with that?
_Cylon
_Emeritus

Post by _Cylon »

bcspace wrote:
What goes on at MI is usually mostly meaningless to me. However, the problem is now that Dehlin has gained more public notoriety, those of us who might actually be able to convince the powers that be to excommunicate him have our work cut out for us. That he's being protected by a GA helps and we can probably now figure out who that is and apply the appropriate pressure.

Why do you think you can or should oppose one of the Lord's anointed? Who's the apostate now?

What should have been done with Dehlin is to merely to answer him point by point with the answers already provided by FAIR and could have been provided in the future. Perhaps someone could have gone toe to toe with him in a local debate.

Huh? John Dehlin had a 4 hour interview with Daniel Peterson on his own podcast in which Peterson answers him point by point, and he has done the same with numerous other apologists. Whatever the reasons for his or other Mormon Stories listeners' unbelief, it's not because they don't know the apologists' answers. It might have something to do with the fact that the apologists' answers are not convincing.

I've warned these people before and they didn't listen. Of course my self-imposed anonymity doesn't help me be convincing but I think my words and been proven time and time again, enough to show that I know what I am talking about.

Any specifics? I don't even know what you're talking about here. What have you been proven right about?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Abaddon wrote:I know what a lot of acronyms stand for, NAMIRS, FARMS, TCP/IP, but there is a new one that I haven't quite talked it out even after buying a vowel.

OMIDs...

"Ousted Maxwell Institute Danite." (Adding a small "s" at the end merely makes "OMID" plural; it isn't part of the acronym.) It was coined by lostindc this past week; see this post and this post.

Practically speaking, this will include anyone who has been marginalized from, ostracized from, or censored by the Institute, as described by William Hamblin in his pro-Scratch verification post at MD&D. We know that DCP and Hamblin himself are among them. Thanks to their articles being pulled, we also know that William Schryver and Gregory Smith are among their ranks, too. Considering the direction Dr. Bradford intends to take the Institute, we can guess that DCP's editorial team--Louis Midgley, George L. Mitton, and Robert White--are also OMIDs as of now. And, depending on what the impetus might have been for his move to SHIELDS, of all places, we can guess wildly that John Tvedtnes may be one of them, too.

Hamblin doesn't name names, so there are probably others. It also remains to be seen whether those FAIRites who are outraged with Dr. Bradford are honorary OMIDs or just OMID supporters.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Abaddon
_Emeritus

Post by _Abaddon »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Abaddon wrote:I know what a lot of acronyms stand for, NAMIRS, FARMS, TCP/IP, but there is a new one that I haven't quite talked it out even after buying a vowel.

OMIDs...

"Ousted Maxwell Institute Danite."

Haha..funny..

Thanks for that.