New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Re: New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

Post by _Garbo »

In the past when a prophet has started to decline, it's been mostly physical. So it's been easy to just keep him out of the public eye with the excuse that he's not physically able to be there. But Alzheimer's patients, at first, remain physically able to get around, and they only show signs of the mental confusion from time to time. But like I said, it gets worse. And there is typically a real frustration that starts to build in the patient as he begins to realize that he's not thinking right, and then he can start "acting out" as a result of that frustration. They can do really nutty things and say really nutty things. Like a person who never in their life used foul language suddenly pops off with a string of really vulgar profanities towards a spouse or family member, or even a stranger.

I can see why they might want to try to deal with this issue sooner rather than later, in order to prevent the PR disaster of Monson, say at a temple dedication, breaking loose with a kind of Sarah Silverman monologue in the middle of the dedicatory prayer.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Hasa Diga Eebowai
_Emeritus

Post by _Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Emeritus prophet?!

This is a pretty big deal. 1000x bigger than the Maxwell business. We shall wait and see.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

My grandfather was in mental decline for a number of years, and it was sad for all of us in his family. I feel sorry for the Monson family.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_robuchan
_Emeritus

Post by _robuchan »

Prophet/apostle emeritus is a good idea. They need to think of something in an age where life expectancy is getting longer and longer. How would emeritus status be decided? Would be classic to see TSM and Packer get emeritus status together. So close!
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Why would God allow His one Prophet on earth end up doing embarrassing things in public to the point he has to be hoiked out of office one way or another?

On another point, it at least explains the Arthur Patton and Widow and Cookie tales...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

robuchan wrote:Prophet/apostle emeritus is a good idea. They need to think of something in an age where life expectancy is getting longer and longer. How would emeritus status be decided? Would be classic to see TSM and Packer get emeritus status together. So close!

All you'd have to do is what they already did with the Seventy: emeritus at 70. The new prophet would be the senior apostle, like it is today.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Monsons replacement is already decided, so no need to pray about it.
Just refer to the corporations articles of association - which states its the longest serving Apostle.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”

_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

The Packer thing would really be hard, I think, for faithful Mormons to accept. From a succession standpoint, it's true that Packer is next in line. But as long as the President is alive, there is still a First Presidency, and the two counselors have the "keys" of authority to act for the First Presidency whenever the President is incapacitated or absent or whatever. The church was led for decades without an active, capable President. Hinckley basically ran the church when Kimball, Benson, and Hunter were not able to function fully. If Monson wanted Packer to be the guy to run things when Monson got sick, Monson would have made Packer First Counselor. He didn't. There is a long history and tradition at work here, and I think it would be very troubling to faithful members who know that history if Packer tried to throw that all away and usurp authority.

That said, there is a way they could do it that might not be seen as usurpation. If Monson is mentally incompetent, the 14 could vote together to make him an emeritus and then dissolve the First Presidency, and then Packer could lead the church as President of the Twelve. After Joseph Smith died, Brigham Young led the church for years as President f the Twelve. The key to to all is who holds the office of Corporation Sole. That person right now is Monson. He literally owns everything the church owns. I wonder what it would take to get Monson removed from that position. As I understand it, corporations sole do not have bylaws, so I am not actually sure what governs, from a legal standpoint, removal of a person from the office of Corporation Sole and replacing him with another. Making Monson "emeritus" with a vote by the Big 14 is probably not gonna do the trick. They can call him whatever they want, but the important thing is who is in that office. The law doesn't recognize "priesthood keys" or "revelation." The true power in the LDS church is in the vast wealth owned and controlled by the Corporation Sole. It actually makes me wonder who minds the store when that guy is debilitated. I know there were allegations that Hinckley simply "forged" Benson's signature on stuff back when he was running things. But I don't think the church has ever been really forthcoming about all that stuff. Maybe Daymon Smith has written or talked about this (I haven't read his book but heard part of a MS podcast with him).
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

What's the difference?

I don't wish illness on the old guy but Monson has presided over a period of nothing except for members leaving in droves and the worlds biggest, costliest, upmarket Jesus Mall.

Let's hope the new guy has a bit more about him.