New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Re: New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

Post by _Equality »

Does anyone know if Benson ever made a similar power grab n the early 80s? I can't imagine that he would have had the chutzpah. Maybe Hinckley was just too powerful to take on, and Packer sees Uchtdorf as a lightweight.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Equality wrote:Does anyone know if Benson ever made a similar power grab n the early 80s? I can't imagine that he would have had the chutzpah. Maybe Hinckley was just too powerful to take on, and Packer sees Uchtdorf as a lightweight.

Packer has the legality of the corporations articles on his side. I'm sure they have a paragraph covering the eventuality of a non functioning Prophet.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Drifting wrote:... Monson has presided over a period of nothing except for members leaving in drones ...

Gosh! No wonder we hear about so many strikes that cause civilian casualties - presumably all those exmos crammed into those tiny planes stops the guidance systems working properly?

Or do you mean 'droves'?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Chap wrote:
Drifting wrote:... Monson has presided over a period of nothing except for members leaving in drones ...

Gosh! No wonder we hear about so many strikes that cause civilian casualties - presumably all those exmos crammed into those tiny planes stops the guidance systems working properly?

Or do you mean 'droves'?

I changed it, but obviously not quickly enough!
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”

_Cylon
_Emeritus

Post by _Cylon »

If this rumor is true, it saddens me. Pres. Monson may not be the most substantive leader we've had, but I don't wish Alzheimer's on him. I also would much prefer him to stay president, with or without First Presidency handlers, than for Elder Packer to take the reins.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

Equality wrote:Does anyone know if Benson ever made a similar power grab n the early 80s? I can't imagine that he would have had the chutzpah. Maybe Hinckley was just too powerful to take on, and Packer sees Uchtdorf as a lightweight.

My impression has been that Uchtdorf is anything but a "lightweight". We're talking about a former Top Gun fighter pilot and German who was a leader of Lufthansa at a very early age. He strikes me as a very ambitious and somewhat ruthless leader who knows exactly what he's doing.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

How can there be a power grab when Christ is supposedly leading the Church?

_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

https://secure.utah.gov/bes/
The corporate articles were recently amended.

For 2 bucks, you can see what they say.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

Drifting wrote:How can there be a power grab when Christ is supposedly leading the Church?

I think Brigham Young "showed the way" when he brushed Sidney Rigdon aside and took control back in 1844.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Infymus
_Emeritus

Post by _Infymus »

Amusing if true. Why doesn't the Mormon God just reach down and heal Monson. Oh right, even now he and his cult are being tested.

Packer looks like he is going to fall over any minute too.

Stupid cult.