New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Re: New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

Post by _Garbo »

Drifting wrote:Uchdorf won't get the job. He hasn't been there long enough.
The pecking order is in line with length of service as an Apostle.
Uchdorf may just be trying to prolong Monson's tenure until Packer drops his clogs.

I think it would be in Uchtdorf's best interest to take a very orthodox approach to all of this. He would fight any attempt to make Monson emeritus and try to reorganize the First Presidency. As long as Monson officially remains P/S/R, then Uchtdorf remains in a position to be the shadow leader of the church.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Drifting wrote:
Equality wrote:Does anyone know if Benson ever made a similar power grab n the early 80s? I can't imagine that he would have had the chutzpah. Maybe Hinckley was just too powerful to take on, and Packer sees Uchtdorf as a lightweight.

Packer has the legality of the corporations articles on his side. I'm sure they have a paragraph covering the eventuality of a non functioning Prophet.
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the articles with amendments laying around that you would care to share?
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

Incidentally, every TBM I know thinks Uchtdorf is the best thing to happen to Mormonism since the invention of green jello. He has charisma, good looks, great hair----everything Mormons admire most in their leaders. So even though there is a long established tradition that the President serves for life and then the most senior Apostle is next in line, you also have to remember that we're dealing with a Church in 2012 that, from everything I have seen lately, is poised to make some revolutionary changes. So nothing would surprise me anymore.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Bob Loblaw wrote:My grandfather was in mental decline for a number of years, and it was sad for all of us in his family. I feel sorry for the Monson family.

My grandfather suffered the same, and I feel very sincerely sorry that President Monson is going through this.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

God could save him via a Priesthood blessing.
If He doesn't we can assume God wants him to have this experience until He is ready to call Monson back. Because that is what we are told when bad things happen to us, right?
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

President Monson has always seemed to me to be one of the more Christ-like apostles that we have. Hinckley was a great CEO and a good speaker, but his "bed side manner" was terrible according to those I know that ever dealt with him on an individual basis.

Elder Packer felt the same way back in 1993 (this quote is from his infamous talk on gays, feminists and "so-called" intellectuals):

"I think President Thomas S. Monson may not appreciate what I am going to say now. I know of no one who maintains such a large private ministry of counsel and comfort in the midst of heavy pressures of office than does Brother Monson."

I truly hope that this rumor is not true . . . but my hope my be in vain since Scratch has recently demonstrated that his sources are actually pretty good.
_sansfoy
_Emeritus

Post by _sansfoy »

In a strange coincidence, on Saturday I was eating dinner with a friend in the medical field (being purposefully vague here) who said that one of his female coworkers said that Monson recently made an inappropriate grab at her buttocks that was attributed to some form of dementia.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey listen don't you let 'em get your mind...
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

sansfoy wrote:In a strange coincidence, I was eating dinner with a friend in the medical field (being purposefully vague here) said that one of his female coworkers said that Monson recently made an inappropriate grab at her buttocks that was attributed to some form of dementia.

LOL. Poor guy is a human being. I guess that confirms his heterosexuality.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Cicero wrote:"I think President Thomas S. Monson may not appreciate what I am going to say now. I know of no one who maintains such a large private ministry of counsel and comfort in the midst of heavy pressures of office than does Brother Monson."

The only negative thing I have heard about President Monson is that he can be pretty explosive when he gets angry with underlings who screw up.

A lot of people are like that, and I don't think it negates his other virtues.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

sansfoy wrote:In a strange coincidence, I was eating dinner with a friend in the medical field (being purposefully vague here) said that one of his female coworkers said that Monson recently made an inappropriate grab at her buttocks that was attributed to some form of dementia.

That is a common sign of dementia. From the Mayo Clinic:

Dementia symptoms vary depending on the cause, but common signs and symptoms include:

Memory loss
Difficulty communicating
Inability to learn or remember new information
Difficulty with planning and organizing
Difficulty with coordination and motor functions
Personality changes
Inability to reason
Inappropriate behavior
Paranoia
Agitation
Hallucinations
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado