New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: New Intel: The Decline of Pres. Monson

Post by _harmony »

Cylon wrote:If this rumor is true, it saddens me. Pres. Monson may not be the most substantive leader we've had, but I don't wish Alzheimer's on him. I also would much prefer him to stay president, with or without First Presidency handlers, than for Elder Packer to take the reins.

This post hits the topic squarely for me. The idea that Pres Monson may be succumbing to Alzheimer's is almost as scary as the idea of Packer becoming President. I simply could not bear that.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Garbo wrote:My impression has been that Uchtdorf is anything but a "lightweight". We're talking about a former Top Gun fighter pilot and German who was a leader of Lufthansa at a very early age. He strikes me as a very ambitious and somewhat ruthless leader who knows exactly what he's doing.

The German fighter pilot vs. the American fighter pilot.

Break out the pop corn.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Garbo wrote:
Drifting wrote:How can there be a power grab when Christ is supposedly leading the Church?

I think Brigham Young "showed the way" when he brushed Sidney Rigdon aside and took control back in 1844.

He didn't brush him aside. They had a prophet battle in front of the faithful during which Brigham Young morphed into Joseph Smith temporarily. That proved he was next in line. So we just need Uchdorf and Packer to square off in a battle of prophetness to see which one morphs into Monson.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

lulu wrote:
Garbo wrote:My impression has been that Uchtdorf is anything but a "lightweight". We're talking about a former Top Gun fighter pilot and German who was a leader of Lufthansa at a very early age. He strikes me as a very ambitious and somewhat ruthless leader who knows exactly what he's doing.

The German fighter pilot vs. the American fighter pilot.

Break out the pop corn.

Seeing as how the German pilot is in this:

And the American one is in this:

I'm betting on the German in this dogfight.
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Garbo wrote:Seeing as how the German pilot is in this:

And the American one is in this:

I'm betting on the German in this dogfight.

ROLF, ROLF, ROLF
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Drifting wrote:
Equality wrote:Does anyone know if Benson ever made a similar power grab n the early 80s? I can't imagine that he would have had the chutzpah. Maybe Hinckley was just too powerful to take on, and Packer sees Uchtdorf as a lightweight.

Packer has the legality of the corporations articles on his side. I'm sure they have a paragraph covering the eventuality of a non functioning Prophet.

Then why wasn't Benson running the show in the early 80s when Kimball was incapacitated and Hinckley basically took over? Also, when Benson was non-functioning, why didn't Hunter take over? It was always the Hinckster.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Equality wrote:
Drifting wrote:Packer has the legality of the corporations articles on his side. I'm sure they have a paragraph covering the eventuality of a non functioning Prophet.

Then why wasn't Benson running the show in the early 80s when Kimball was incapacitated and Hinckley basically took over? Also, when Benson was non-functioning, why didn't Hunter take over? It was always the Hinckster.

It was that event that brought the paragraph into being.
Hinckley didn't want anyone doing a Hinckley on him.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Garbo wrote:
Equality wrote:Does anyone know if Benson ever made a similar power grab n the early 80s? I can't imagine that he would have had the chutzpah. Maybe Hinckley was just too powerful to take on, and Packer sees Uchtdorf as a lightweight.

My impression has been that Uchtdorf is anything but a "lightweight". We're talking about a former Top Gun fighter pilot and German who was a leader of Lufthansa at a very early age. He strikes me as a very ambitious and somewhat ruthless leader who knows exactly what he's doing.

Oh, I agree. I find Uchtdorf the most impressive of the Big 15. I just wonder if Packer thinks of him as a lightweight because he just hasn't been around for very long at the highest echelon of power in the COB. Packer's been there forever. My guess is he views Uchtdorf as an upstart outsider.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Uchdorf won't get the job. He hasn't been there long enough.
The pecking order is in line with length of service as an Apostle.
Uchdorf may just be trying to prolong Monson's tenure until Packer drops his clogs.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

Kinda but certainly nothing like calling for emeritus status for SWK. What happened in the early 80's was that Hinckley was essentially running the church since he was the only member of the First Presidency with all his marbles intact, but he was acting more like an interim/acting CEO (i.e., just basically keeping the ship running with no major course changes). Hinckley consulted with ETB a lot and he did not stand in the way at all when ETB and others started agitating for the church to sack Leonard Arrington and close the archives.

I frankly doubt that the church would ever really institute an emeritus status for the prophet . . . if the rumor is true it seems to me that they'll just hide Monson away and not let him speak just as they did with ETB and SWK. It will be much harder to hide his condition though in the internet age.