The Downward Spiral Continues at "Mormon Interpreter"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Re: The Downward Spiral Continues at "Mormon Interpreter"

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Doctor Scratch wrote:You know, Reverend, I wouldn't have thought to bring the money issue into the picture, but I suppose you're right. "If you're good at something, never do it for free." Or, rather, "If you have to do something for free, do a half-assed job."

The lack of money just means that their copyediting is now of the same quality as the "scholarship."
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Bob Loblaw wrote:The lack of money just means that their copyediting is now of the same quality as the "scholarship."

Well, David Bokovoy's article was good, I thought. It may turn out to be the best piece the Interpreter ever publishes!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Kishkumen wrote:Well, David Bokovoy's article was good, I thought. It may turn out to be the best piece the Interpreter ever publishes!

True, it was good. Maybe he set a standard they can't meet.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Darth J wrote:...
And none of us would want to be callow, so we better acknowledge that any grouping of people, either by common traits or by their association with each other, is equivalent to a church.

The NRA, the National Geographic Society, your local community theater, that book club you're in, the Federalist Society, the Rotary Club, the AAA, and fantasy football leagues are all churches, too.

Not only are they churches, but are they not, by definition, part of the Great and Abominable Church.

Someone should tell them - so that they can update their logos, letterhead, websites, etc.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Guess who...

I have to say that even I have been thrilled, and sometimes moved, by the enthusiasm and energy of those who have made this new journal possible, and who have accomplished it with such speed. Remarkable people have signed on to help. Interpreter is well-produced, technically savvy, peer-reviewed, and, already, graced with fascinating, substantial articles. It’s paginated and typeset like a print publication, and is readily available for print-on-demand.

As much as possible, we’re making all of this available for free. But there are inescapable expenses, and we have very little money. So we intend to commence a fundraising campaign as soon as we’re in a position to do so. We’ve flourished thus far in Interpreter’s brief but vigorous life on the basis of volunteer labor, but we know that we can’t expect people to work long hours for free forever.

Nevertheless, this effort continues to grow and develop. Our goal is to post at least one article, review, or note each week—and perhaps more. We’re in the process of setting up a tax-exempt legal entity, The Interpreter Foundation, to sponsor the journal, and we’ve already produced podcasts and audio discussions, undertaken to co-sponsor a conference on the temple www.mormoninterpreter.com , and created a blog.

This is an exciting project.

http://ldsmag.com/article/1/11431
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

palerobber wrote:
Midge wrote:The conclusion is that one need not fear death, for it is ultimate liberation from this miserable world. While struggling to avoid pain, one need not be set upon by false notions of divine beings who have even more pain planned for disobedient mortals after their miserable deaths.

what a lovely summary.

That quote is spot-on Midgley. I became acquainted with Lou around 30 years ago. He came across as a lunatic even then (and he's only gotten worse with age, in my opinion). I'm amazed someone would publish his tripe, but I guess today's Mormon apologia is in such disarray that the standard is low enough for even Lou to crawl over.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Allegedly 'Mormon Interpreter' is running it's own equivalent of a 'Raising The Bar' programme. It's called 'Finding The Bar'.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Drifting wrote:Allegedly 'Mormon Interpreter' is running it's own equivalent of a 'Raising The Bar' programme. It's called 'Finding The Bar'.

More like "Who cares about a bar?"

_chanson
_Emeritus

Post by _chanson »

Hi guys -- thanks for the interesting analysis! I think this may be the first time a Mormon apologist has written an article in a peer-reviewed journal about how "raunchy and lacking intellectual content" my blog is -- and without someone pointing me to this thread, I might never have noticed!

I just wrote a post for MSP about it here. It includes a link to the full text of my article from FI.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

chanson wrote:Hi guys -- thanks for the interesting analysis! I think this may be the first time a Mormon apologist has written an article in a peer-reviewed journal about how "raunchy and lacking intellectual content" my blog is -- and without someone pointing me to this thread, I might never have noticed!

I just wrote a post for MSP about it here. It includes a link to the full text of my article from FI.

Loved your response, and thanks for the mention.