Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

Post by _Tobin »

Mary wrote:Stephen Kerr is missing out a lot of verifiable history in his discussion of polygamy at the same time as forgetting to mention that actually polygamy is an important part of LDS theology in terms of the afterlife, specifically the Celestial Kingdom. If this is aimed at non-mormons then I believe his leaving out of critical information to be very disingenuous. Investigators have a right to know what Mormon Theology is, even if it is not being practiced at this present time.
That's garbage. Polygamy is not essential to the afterlife or the Celestial Kingdom. In fact, LDS theology is, if you read the Book of Mormon, that it is in general a sin.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Drifting wrote:
ldsfaqs wrote:I actually know for sure who tells the truth and who isn't when comparing the two sides.

How do you 'know for sure' who tells the truth?
(As opposed to 'believing you know' who tells the truth)

For example, how do you know for sure that Joseph Smith saw God and Christ in person?

... then Elias and Elijah ... (in the temple at Kirtland, Ohio, 3 April 1836 - see History of the Church, 2:435–36)

He could have met with Mark Twain and Samuel Langhorne Clemens.
He could have read works of Boz and Charles Dickens.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Tobin said:
That's garbage. Polygamy is not essential to the afterlife or the Celestial Kingdom. In fact, LDS theology is, if you read the Book of Mormon, that it is in general a sin.

Nice strawman there Tobin. Here's what I said:
polygamy is an important part of LDS theology in terms of the afterlife

Did I say anywhere that it was ESSENTIAL that every single person practice polygamy...and you and I both know that there are men alive today in the leadership that are sealed to more than one woman... Who are they going to be married to in the Celestial Kingdom Tobin under LDS theology? Answer me that. Grief.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

No wonder there are so many 'bloody' misconceptions when even LDS apologists like Tobin don't want to admit what their own theology is... Be proud of it Tobin, or get rid of it.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Mary wrote:No wonder there are so many 'bloody' misconceptions when even LDS apologists like Tobin don't want to admit what their own theology is... Be proud of it Tobin, or get rid of it.

Tobin isn't a real Mormon, Mary. Like Nightlion, he has largely invented his own version of LDS theology, which he assures you is the "real" version.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Mary wrote:Tobin said:

Did I say anywhere that it was ESSENTIAL that every single person practice polygamy...and you and I both know that there are men alive today in the leadership that are sealed to more than one woman... Who are they going to be married to in the Celestial Kingdom Tobin under LDS theology? Answer me that. Grief.

Tobin seems to have forgotten that Mormon God gave the following information with regards to the eternal importance of Celestial Marriage - which at the time Joseph received it was referring to having multiple wives.

For behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Mary wrote:Tobin said:
I fail to see the distinction. What is important about it as long as you are grasping at straws?
Mary wrote:Did I say anywhere that it was ESSENTIAL that every single person practice polygamy...and you and I both know that there are men alive today in the leadership that are sealed to more than one woman... Who are they going to be married to in the Celestial Kingdom Tobin under LDS theology? Answer me that. Grief.
And there have been men sealed to men, women sealed to women, and multiple men sealed to the same woman. I guess that means that many other kinds of relationships are important to Mormon doctrine as well. I find such practices hardly indicative of what may or may not be important in the afterlife however. The more likely answer is that they are not however.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Molok wrote:
Mary wrote:No wonder there are so many 'bloody' misconceptions when even LDS apologists like Tobin don't want to admit what their own theology is... Be proud of it Tobin, or get rid of it.
Tobin isn't a real Mormon, Mary. Like Nightlion, he has largely invented his own version of LDS theology, which he assures you is the "real" version.
I think you hardly qualify as a judge of what is really representative of Mormonism or not. If my responses are reasonable and consistent with Mormon scriptures and doctrine, I fail to see why she should not respond to my questions and defend her assertions.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

They aren't Tobin (your response aren't in line with Mormon doctrine and scripture).

D&C 132
3 Therefore, prepare thy heart to receive and obey the instructions which I am about to give unto you; for all those who have this law revealed unto them must obey the same.

4 For behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.

5 For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted from before the foundation of the world.

6 And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fulness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fulness thereof must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.

Practice polygamy or be damned. That is Mormon doctrine and scripture.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

SteelHead wrote:They aren't Tobin.

D&C 132
<snip>
Practice polygamy or be damned. That is Mormon doctrine and scripture.
Then virtually all Mormons alive today are damned according to you. I think that bar and distorted interpretation may be a tad bit absurd don't you?