Missing Clark Goble

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Missing Clark Goble

Post by Kishkumen »

Been on MD&D looking at old threads that Clark Goble participated in, and I have to say I really regret his passing at such a young age. What a remarkable fellow. I wish I had known him much better. It would have been a blast chatting him up concerning all the stuff he knew, especially about the deep doctrines of Mormonism. Damn.

Never in my life have I seen so many acquaintances die in such a short period of time. And these were really exemplary people. Kind, learned, upstanding people. Some we lost to cancer. Some we lost to other causes.

Today I am especially bummed about the loss of Clark. Scientist, chocolatier, scholar of Mormonism.

Damn and blast!!!!!

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Re: Missing Clark Goble

Post by Fence Sitter »

And Amen
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

He had a lot of thoughtful comments on MD&D and was always respectful. I interacted with him a bit online at MD&D. He was also a good check on the crazy Early Modern English theory. I think it was first him, or maybe physics guy, but he pointed out that as the Book of Mormon was a dictated text, the proper way to determine whether the supposed archaic forms were more ubiquitous than claimed was to see how ordinary people of upstate N.Y. spoke at the time. The written word wouldn't suffice as people are more conscious when writing and therefore would more likely use better english. He proposed to mine legal transcripts, if any could be found, to see if the supposed archaic forms were there in ordinary spoken english. I wonder if private letters would be of help as those are less formal and people tend to be lazier in their writing in private letters.

Anyway, he was a good man and died too early.
Last edited by Dr Exiled on Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I was fortunate to have had quite a few discussions with him.... he was more liberal in his views than most, especially with Mormonism. I am truly sorry he passed on so soon also. Thanks for reminding us about a really nice and great guy...... I would have gone camping with him and welcomed him to my campfire anytime. I extend the same to you dear Reverend and friend.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:39 pm
He had a lot of thoughtful comments on MD&D and was always respectful. I interacted with him a bit online at MD&D. He was also a good check on the crazy Early Modern English theory. I think it was first him, or maybe physics guy, but he pointed out that as the Book of Mormon was a dictated text, the proper way to determine whether the supposed archaic forms were more ubiquitous than claimed was to see how ordinary people of upstate N.Y. spoke at the time. The written word wouldn't suffice as people are more conscious when writing and therefore would more likely use better english. He proposed to mine legal transcripts, if any could be found, to see if the supposed archaic forms were there in ordinary spoken english. I wonder if private letters would be of help as those are less formal and people tend to be lazier in their writing in private letters.

Yes, those are good ideas. He had many such thoughts. And he was not careless or impatient. He wanted to see the evidence.

Thanks for these memories, Dr Exiled.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:40 pm
I was fortunate to have had quite a few discussions with him.... he was more liberal in his views than most, especially with Mormonism. I am truly sorry he passed on so soon also. Thanks for reminding us about a really nice and great guy...... I would have gone camping with him and welcomed him to my campfire anytime. I extend the same to you dear Reverend and friend.
Yes, what fun would that have been! Camping with Clark. Hell, Philo, we would love to camp with you! We are glad you are here with us, and maybe someday we can meet up as a group to enjoy your company and conversation in person.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Clark was a gentleman.

Has Amano Chocolates gone out of business?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I think the idea to look at court transcripts was Clark's. I might have suggested transcribed sermons.

He was one of those people that would make you shake your head in sadness that they're caught in Mormonism, except that they're smart enough you have to figure that if they're in it then they must really want to be there, because they probably wouldn't just fall for it. So whatever his reasons were I felt I had to respect his position. He'd thought it through.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:39 pm
He had a lot of thoughtful comments on MD&D and was always respectful. I interacted with him a bit online at MD&D. He was also a good check on the crazy Early Modern English theory.
Yes he was, in a very reasoned and calm way. I appreciated that greatly, especially when there was this rush to the bandwagon of Early Modern English that just didn’t make sense.
Yes. And with such young children he so clearly adored. A great loss.