Posting 95 LDS Theses on the Church Doors

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Re: Posting 95 LDS Theses on the Church Doors

Post by _KevinSim »

Gadianton wrote:
Why do anti-mormons think that "their" version of the facts and truth are the actual facts and truth?

If their version of things was the actual truth, those of us very familiar with the issues, who do in fact have honor and character, wouldn't be Mormons.

Why do you think your interpretation of the facts and truth are the actual facts and truth? If your version was the actual truth -- in this case, that the anti-Mormon version is just an opinion and not fact -- then those of us very familiar with the issues, such as myself, who are mightily infused with honor and character, wouldn't be anti-Mormons anymore. So why don't Mopologists move on and go back to Sunday School? We agree to disagree!

All I can gather from this exchange is that Ldsfaqs is convinced that he knows the relevant facts on the issues, while Gadianton is convinced that instead he knows them. How in the world does someone like me determine which is right?

If a policeman suspects someone of committing a crime, the powers that be in this nation respect this suspect's rights so much that it puts on a formal trial, where the suspect has the opportunity to have a competent expert defend him in a court against the charges of the prosecutor. This system may not be perfect, but it seems to me that those powers have gone way out of their way to do as much as they can to insure that the suspect gets a fair trial.

If conscientious society is really committed to getting to the bottom of which of Ldsfaqs' facts or Gadianton's facts are closer to the truth, that society will work just as hard to give those competing viewpoints just the same kind of fair trial. Some posters have said that this Terrestrial forum is precisely that, an opportunity for the competing viewpoints to get a fair trial. But there's not enough at stake here to attract the heavy hitters from either side, either the serious LDS apologists or the serious critics. If instead of the, somewhat limited, membership who reads this forum, we could get a group two or three orders of magnitude larger, that serves perhaps as the jury of such a trial, then that would significantly raise the probability that those heavey hitters would weigh in, and we could really get the fair trial this dispute needs.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Racer wrote:I agree with others that this is a futile attempt. The church never changes due to protests of members or the general public.

I would suggest that all changes to the temple ordinances since the 1990's were all based on member (new member) reactions.

Also the softened stance on gays
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

RockSlider wrote:Also the softened stance on gays

Whatever caused it, I for one am very glad the Church softened that stance.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_Tchild
_Emeritus

Post by _Tchild »

Mormon Think wrote:What do you all think of this modern-day LDS Martin Luther?

http://mormonreformation.blogspot.com/

I think that if a person were to go with a few good friends to a nice micro-brewery-restuarant and talk and laugh while enjoying some good food and beer, that you would have done more to live and enjoy life than anything this protest will ever accomplish.

Leave Mormonism alone!

_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

ldsfaqs wrote:Just another anti-mormon tomb....

Why do anti-mormons think that "their" version of the facts and truth are the actual facts and truth?

If their version of things was the actual truth, those of us very familiar with the issues, who do in fact have honor and character, wouldn't be Mormons.

So, why don't Anti-Mormons move on and have their OWN lives? We agree to disagree!

Name one issue that isn't factually based... just one.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

I looked through this list of issues and I agree with KevinSim that it is too long. I'd also point out that most of the issues are based on either the view that the Book of Mormon is not inspired and/or Joseph Smith was a fraud as well. These are hardly things that most Mormons would seriously consider and there is simply no common ground upon which to have a serious discussion. It is simply a joke. It would have been much better to create a list of 4 or 5 strong arguments that demonstrate a need for reform and not post of laundry list of issues that most Mormons would reject out-of-hand.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

Tobin wrote:I looked through this list of issues and I agree with KevinSim that it is too long. I'd also point out that most of the issues are based on either the view that the Book of Mormon is not inspired and/or Joseph Smith was a fraud as well. These are hardly things that most Mormons would seriously consider and there is simply no common ground upon which to have a serious discussion. It is simply a joke. It would have been much better to create a list of 4 or 5 strong arguments that demonstrate a need for reform and not post of laundry list of issues that most Mormons would reject out-of-hand.

You are being intentionally vague. Name one you disagree with... just one. You have 95 choices... pick one and make a point.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Tobin wrote:I looked through this list of issues and I agree with KevinSim that it is too long. I'd also point out that most of the issues are based on either the view that the Book of Mormon is not inspired and/or Joseph Smith was a fraud as well. These are hardly things that most Mormons would seriously consider and there is simply no common ground upon which to have a serious discussion. It is simply a joke. It would have been much better to create a list of 4 or 5 strong arguments that demonstrate a need for reform and not post of laundry list of issues that most Mormons would reject out-of-hand.

Have you ever read the original 95 theses? They were also remarkably repetitive and mostly focused on Catholic notions of penance and indulgences. Martin Luther sure was an idiot!
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Aristotle Smith wrote:

Have you ever read the original 95 theses? They were also remarkably repetitive and mostly focused on Catholic notions of penance and indulgences. Martin Luther sure was an idiot!

Right? Luther was just wasting his time. There was no way Rome would ever change. That's why the Catholic Church still sells indulgences.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Aristotle Smith wrote:
I can't take that seriously. If Martin Luther had posted a 95 theses stating the Bible was not inspired and the Jesus Christ was a fraud, I'm sure what he had to say would have been discounted as much as this list needs to be.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom