Posting 95 LDS Theses on the Church Doors

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: Posting 95 LDS Theses on the Church Doors

Post by _Tobin »

Equality wrote:Right? Luther was just wasting his time. There was no way Rome would ever change. That's why the Catholic Church still sells indulgences.
And if you think the LDS Church is going to reform to such an extent that they state Joseph Smith was a fraud and that the Book of Mormon is a fiction, then I've got news for you - never going to happen.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

thews wrote:You are being intentionally vague. Name one you disagree with... just one. You have 95 choices... pick one and make a point.
I have no interest in engaging you on this list. I view it as completely absurd and you act as if it is something that I should reasonably consider. We simply have no common ground upon which to discuss this. And by now, we both know each other's position on the matter of Mormonism, so I really fail to see any need for further discussions with you.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

Tobin wrote:
thews wrote:You are being intentionally vague. Name one you disagree with... just one. You have 95 choices... pick one and make a point.
I have no interest in engaging you on this list. I view it as completely absurd and you act as if it is something that I should reasonably consider. We simply have no common ground upon which to discuss this. And by now, we both know each other's position on the matter of Mormonism, so I really fail to see any need for further discussions with you.

I see you've again taken the position of claiming documented facts are "absurd" without addressing anything to substantiate your claim. It's the same position ldsfaqs has, which is understandable, as your claims are both unfounded. C'mon Tobin, you have 95 "absurd" facts to choose from. You can't find one to make your point?
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Aristotle Smith wrote:
Tobin wrote:I looked through this list of issues and I agree with KevinSim that it is too long. I'd also point out that most of the issues are based on either the view that the Book of Mormon is not inspired and/or Joseph Smith was a fraud as well. These are hardly things that most Mormons would seriously consider and there is simply no common ground upon which to have a serious discussion. It is simply a joke. It would have been much better to create a list of 4 or 5 strong arguments that demonstrate a need for reform and not post of laundry list of issues that most Mormons would reject out-of-hand.

Have you ever read the original 95 theses? They were also remarkably repetitive and mostly focused on Catholic notions of penance and indulgences. Martin Luther sure was an idiot!

Tobin wrote:I can't take that seriously. If Martin Luther had posted a 95 theses stating the Bible was not inspired and the Jesus Christ was a fraud, I'm sure what he had to say would have been discounted as much as this list needs to be.

I think it is clear that Aristotle Smith's comment was made with heavy irony, especially the last sentence, which satirizes Tobin's routine use of condescending abuse ("silly ... ridiculous ... idiotic") for points of view that that he dislikes but somehow can't manage to deal with except by unsupported counterassertion. But somehow Tobin (who takes himself with immense seriousness and expects the rest of us to do likewise) didn't notice.

Need one say that Luther's theses did not represent a list of isolated points, but constituted a series of arguments going directly to what was seen at the time as vital issues in the position of the western church.

You can read them here:

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/95theses.htm
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

thews wrote:I see you've again taken the position of claiming documented facts are "absurd" without addressing anything to substantiate your claim. It's the same position ldsfaqs has, which is understandable, as your claims are both unfounded. C'mon Tobin, you have 95 "absurd" facts to choose from. You can't find one to make your point?
Well, I hope you and faqs have fun. If you fail to understand why I view these items as absurd, then your memory is short indeed (or you are being dishonest as usual). In either case, I see nothing worth discussing with you.
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

And so Tobin refuses to substantiate his opinions once again, preferring instead to abuse anyone who disagrees with him. Truly, I feel the loving warmth of Christ in him.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Tobin wrote:
Equality wrote:Right? Luther was just wasting his time. There was no way Rome would ever change. That's why the Catholic Church still sells indulgences.
And if you think the LDS Church is going to reform to such an extent that they state Joseph Smith was a fraud and that the Book of Mormon is a fiction . . .

I labor under no such delusion.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

Tobin wrote:
thews wrote:I see you've again taken the position of claiming documented facts are "absurd" without addressing anything to substantiate your claim. It's the same position ldsfaqs has, which is understandable, as your claims are both unfounded. C'mon Tobin, you have 95 "absurd" facts to choose from. You can't find one to make your point?
Well, I hope you and faqs have fun. If you fail to understand why I view these items as absurd, then your memory is short indeed (or you are being dishonest as usual). In either case, I see nothing worth discussing with you.

Well Tobin, what you and ldsfaqs are claiming is untrue. The more you continue to make absurd claims and evade any basis for forming the opinion, defines how you come to the conclusion, which is to pray for an answer as you ignore the truth. In a nutshell, you're wrong, and the fact you can't even allude to one of 95 claims you deem are all absurd, again proves you simply are not capable of critical thought.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

thews wrote:
Tobin wrote:Well, I hope you and faqs have fun. If you fail to understand why I view these items as absurd, then your memory is short indeed (or you are being dishonest as usual). In either case, I see nothing worth discussing with you.

Well Tobin, what you and ldsfaqs are claiming is untrue. The more you continue to make absurd claims and evade any basis for forming the opinion, defines how you come to the conclusion, which is to pray for an answer as you ignore the truth. In a nutshell, you're wrong, and the fact you can't even allude to one of 95 claims you deem are all absurd, again proves you simply are not capable of critical thought.
Just because I have no interest in discussing the topic with you further means none of those things actually.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Tobin wrote:
And if you think the LDS Church is going to reform to such an extent that they state Joseph Smith was a fraud and that the Book of Mormon is a fiction, then I've got news for you - never going to happen.

I dunno, it worked really well for the Protestant Revolution. There are many people now that belong to Protestant religions. They would all be Catholics now if not for Martin Luther. Even Mormons.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.