Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

Post by _Equality »

A recent article in Psychology Today has made some waves. It is written by a self-described sociopath. The author is a faithful Mormon who describes the church as the perfect organization for a sociopath. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201305/confessions-sociopath

It's actually an interesting read, even without the Mormon connection. Recently, the author went on Dr. Phil (anonymously). But she gave so many details of her life away that she was fairly quickly identified as one Jamie R. Lund, who most recently taught at St. Mary's Law School in Texas. See here.

Well, it seems that the Spirit was asleep at the switch again. Of all the qualified candidates for a position at BYU Law School (I assure you the market for law teaching jobs is incredibly competitive--there were likely hundreds of candidates, even for a position at BYU, which requires even non-Mormons to keep the so-called Honor Code, including the prohibition on coffee and tea), the inspired leaders of that fine institution landed upon a confessed sociopath as the one to hire. Or maybe sociopathy is a trait that Mormon God prefers in the people who teach at the Lord's University?

Edited to add: The Orwellians strike again. BYU used to have a video presentation from Professor Lund up on their web site. It has quickly been dispatched down the memory hole: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PtdyIxK2rEAJ:https://www.law.byu.edu/Law_School/Recordings+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

Post by _Chap »

What Is Evil, Really?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a sociopath's dream. Mormons believe that everyone has the potential to be godlike—I believe this includes me. Every being is capable of salvation; my actions are what matters, not my ruthless thoughts, not my nefarious motivations. Everyone is a sinner, and I never felt that I was outside this norm.

When I attended Brigham Young—where students were even more trusting than the average Mormon—there were myriad opportunities for scamming. I stole from the lost and found, saying I lost a book, but then I would take the "found" book to the bookstore and sell it. Or, I'd take an unlocked bike that sat in the same place for days. Finders, keepers.

But I am functionally a good person—I bought a house for my closest friend, I gave my brother $10,000, and I am considered a helpful professor. I love my family and friends. Yet I am not motivated or constrained by the same things that most good people are.

I don't mean to give the impression that you shouldn't worry about sociopaths. Just because I'm high-functioning and nonviolent doesn't mean there aren't a lot of stupid, uninhibited, or dangerous sociopaths out there. I myself try to escape people like that; after all, it's not like all sociopaths give each other hall passes to avoid harassment.

Despite having imagined it many times, I've never slit anyone's throat. I wonder, though, had I been raised in a more abusive home, whether I would have blood on my hands. People who commit heinous crimes—sociopath or empath—are not more damaged than everyone else, but they seem to have less to lose. It's easy to imagine a 16-year-old version of myself being handcuffed in an orange jumpsuit. If I had no one to love or nothing to achieve, perhaps. It's hard to say.

Diagnosed sociopath M.E. Thomas is an author, law professor, and founder of sociopathworld.com.

God Almighty ...

Actually that was meant as a meaningless exclamation expressive of shock and horror (read the whole article). But now I look at it again, my little burst of blasphemy seems quite tellingly apt.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

When I attended Brigham Young—where students were even more trusting than the average Mormon—there were myriad opportunities for scamming. I stole from the lost and found, saying I lost a book, but then I would take the "found" book to the bookstore and sell it. Or, I'd take an unlocked bike that sat in the same place for days. Finders, keepers.

This disclosure alone would make it very difficult for one to be licensed to practice law, especially in Utah. The other disturbing disclosures she makes would make it impossible.

I guess teaching at BYU is a good fit. Maybe someone can introduce her to DCP, Hamshanks and Gee.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:

This disclosure alone would make it very difficult for one to be licensed to practice law, especially in Utah. The other disturbing disclosures she makes would make it impossible.

I guess teaching at BYU is a good fit. Maybe someone can introduce her to DCP, Hamshanks and Gee.

I think it really was DCP. He changed his sex to female and his looks to good in the article to protect himself.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_3sheets2thewind
_Emeritus

Post by _3sheets2thewind »

self professed sociopath wrote: I wonder, though, had I been raised in a more abusive home,...

"more abusive"? Is this an indictation that she considers her home life abusive?
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Equality wrote:A recent article in Psychology Today has made some waves. It is written by a self-described sociopath. The author is a faithful Mormon who describes the church as the perfect organization for a sociopath. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201305/confessions-sociopath

It's actually an interesting read, even without the Mormon connection. Recently, the author went on Dr. Phil (anonymously). But she gave so many details of her life away that she was fairly quickly identified as one Jamie R. Lund, who most recently taught at St. Mary's Law School in Texas. See here.

Well, it seems that the Spirit was asleep at the switch again. Of all the qualified candidates for a position at BYU Law School (I assure you the market for law teaching jobs is incredibly competitive--there were likely hundreds of candidates, even for a position at BYU, which requires even non-Mormons to keep the so-called Honor Code, including the prohibition on coffee and tea), the inspired leaders of that fine institution landed upon a confessed sociopath as the one to hire. Or maybe sociopathy is a trait that Mormon God prefers in the people who teach at the Lord's University?

Edited to add: The Orwellians strike again. BYU used to have a video presentation from Professor Lund up on their web site. It has quickly been dispatched down the memory hole: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PtdyIxK2rEAJ:https://www.law.byu.edu/Law_School/Recordings+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Scary reading. She really is a sociopath. Her internet site http://www.sociopathworld.com/ is frightening, as well as her need to "bare all".

But I do agree that sociopathy and Mormonism is a good fit.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Ha!

This lady's not a sociopath. She's a narcissist.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Kishkumen wrote:Ha!

This lady's not a sociopath. She's a narcissist.

She'll fit in just fine in a church that was founded by a narcissist.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

This is unbelievable. (One would normally be tempted to preface such a comment with "If true", but given the source, and the fact that BYU is involved, I am pretty sure it is true.)

For what it's worth, the referenced article in Psychology Today reinforced my longstanding low opinion of that magazine, as well. The PT "article" was on the level of a blog post as far as I am concerned, and not a great one at that.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Oh, you'd better believe it is true. My spouse, a law professor, learned about this some days ago and was hoping her identity would come out so that she (my wife) would not be asked about it. She had narrowed down the options (there are few) to Lund, and was curious about how BYU would handle the situation.

She concurs with me that Lund is probably a narcissist.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist