Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Re: Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

Post by _Droopy »

Equality wrote:Are you saying that the Holy Ghost does not help faithful Mormons in carrying out their employment-related duties? Do you not believe in the promise given in Moroni 10:5?

No, I'm saying that neither the Holy Ghost, nor any being in Heaven, as Joseph said, will do anything for humans on earth that they are quite capable of doing for themselves. Hiring a person who later turns out to be a less that qualified employee is one of the vicissitudes of mortality and really more a banality then grist for the Holy Ghost's ministrations, as is scratchy toilet paper. Not that in some cases, the Spirit would assist in hiring or other important decisions, but only that He does not indiscriminately reveal what should or should not be done in each and every aspect of life just because one is LDS or has the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

And now, on to more serious discussions, such as masturbation, licked cupcakes, gay marriage, and nonexistence.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

ZelphtheGreat wrote:
When I was teaching at BYU we were told numerous times that "The Brethren" personally approved every hire at the school.

Considering what asshats some of them are, this professor makes perfect sense.

Zelph, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Droopy wrote:And now, on to more serious discussions, such as masturbation, licked cupcakes, gay marriage, and nonexistence.

I love LDS teachings!

See, Droopy, your intimate familiarity with Zucker brothers movies makes it difficult to believe that you only saw The Kentucky Fried Movie one time in a theater in the 1970's, like you insisted when your habit of watching vile, vulgar R rated movies was announced from the rooftops.

Droopy's question to Zelph is a reference to the movie Airplane! The particular quote he references is a running gag depicting Peter Graves as an airline captain who is a pedophile (Peter Graves also narrated a Mormon Tabernacle Choir performance).

Airplane! also features a gratuitous shot of a woman's naked breasts. As this is the Terrestrial Forum, I will not link to it, but you can find it pretty readily with Google.

Why do you watch such vulgar movies full of nudity and sexual innuendo when you have taken the oath and covenant of the priesthood, Droopy? How can you expect the Spirit to tarry with you when you defy the Bretheren's inspired counsel about what kinds of movies we should watch?
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

I'm sure that Droopy's preoccupation with anal matters in this thread is just a phase he is going through.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Droopy wrote:
Equality wrote:Are you saying that the Holy Ghost does not help faithful Mormons in carrying out their employment-related duties? Do you not believe in the promise given in Moroni 10:5?

No, I'm saying that neither the Holy Ghost, nor any being in Heaven, as Joseph said, will do anything for humans on earth that they are quite capable of doing for themselves. Hiring a person who later turns out to be a less that qualified employee is one of the vicissitudes of mortality and really more a banality then grist for the Holy Ghost's ministrations, as is scratchy toilet paper. Not that in some cases, the Spirit would assist in hiring or other important decisions, but only that He does not indiscriminately reveal what should or should not be done in each and every aspect of life just because one is LDS or has the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Droopy, are you saying you dispute the testimony of Samuel K. from Germany?

https://www.lds.org/churchmagazines/LI_ ... f?lang=eng

One Sunday after church, my mother, my brothers, and I were in the car ready to go home. But we could not find the car key. Our dad had put all our bags in the car and walked home with my younger sister in the stroller. We looked everywhere for the key, but we could not find it. In Primary and family home evening, I have learned that we should always pray when we need help. I told my mom that we should pray so Heavenly Father could help us. My mom was very happy, and we prayed together. Suddenly our grandmother drove up and brought us the key. Our dad had accidentally taken the key and sent it back with our grandmother. I know that Heavenly Father helped us by sending our grandmother. He will always help us, even through other people.

Samuel K., age 5, Germany
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Incidentally, Droopy, how do you know the Holy Ghost would have refused to give promptings to the administration at BYU's law school had they prayed over this hiring decision?

And if the Holy Ghost will not do anything for humans on earth that they are quite capable of doing for themselves, well, humans on earth are quite capable of finding out for themselves whether a posited ancient civilization ever actually existed. Therefore, since secular knowledge can determine whether there was a thousand-year civilization of advanced pre-Columbian Hebrews in America, and since secular knowledge can determine whether the Book of Abraham is an authentic translation of an ancient work written on the Chandler papyri, and since secular knowledge can determine whether the human race originated with a single mated pair in Missouri in 4,000 BCE, we need not bother the Holy Ghost about these matters.

Thanks for clearing that up, Droopy.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

quote="Darth J"

See, Droopy, your intimate familiarity with Zucker brothers movies makes it difficult to believe that you only saw The Kentucky Fried Movie one time in a theater in the 1970's, like you insisted when your habit of watching vile, vulgar R rated movies was announced from the rooftops.

A Fistful of Yen is pure genius. Never been topped.

Airplane! also features a gratuitous shot of a woman's naked breasts. As this is the Terrestrial Forum, I will not link to it, but you can find it pretty readily with Google.

I did some quick cutting with the pause button some 25 years ago and edited that scene out when is showed on cable, giving me a de-gratuitified version of the classic Airplane.

But what I really like about Airplane, among other things, is its unselfconscious and audacious political incorrectness, not the least of which is this piece of classic social satire:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5042c5 ... irplanefan

Even better may be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GW0Vnr9Yc

Why do you watch such vulgar movies full of nudity and sexual innuendo when you have taken the oath and covenant of the priesthood, Droopy? How can you expect the Spirit to tarry with you when you defy the Bretheren's inspired counsel about what kinds of movies we should watch?

Darth, have you ever tried brushing your teeth with an arc welder?

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Darth J wrote:Incidentally, Droopy, how do you know the Holy Ghost would have refused to give promptings to the administration at BYU's law school had they prayed over this hiring decision?

And if the Holy Ghost will not do anything for humans on earth that they are quite capable of doing for themselves, well, humans on earth are quite capable of finding out for themselves whether a posited ancient civilization ever actually existed. Therefore, since secular knowledge can determine whether there was a thousand-year civilization of advanced pre-Columbian Hebrews in America, and since secular knowledge can determine whether the Book of Abraham is an authentic translation of an ancient work written on the Chandler papyri, and since secular knowledge can determine whether the human race originated with a single mated pair in Missouri in 4,000 BCE, we need not bother the Holy Ghost about these matters.

Thanks for clearing that up, Droopy.

Amazing, three instances of begging the question in one paragraph.

And please don't call me Shirley.

- Thomas Sowell
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:Oh, you'd better believe it is true. My spouse, a law professor, learned about this some days ago and was hoping her identity would come out so that she (Dear Wife) would not be asked about it. She had narrowed down the options (there are few) to Lund, and was curious about how BYU would handle the situation.

She concurs with me that Lund is probably a narcissist.

Blixa wrote:
Equality wrote:That's my arm-chair diagnosis as well (for what it's worth; I claim no special expertise). Sociopathy is tough to diagnose and shares some overlapping traits with narcissism. But, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. That said, sociopaths generally go to great lengths to hide their disorder and try to mimic "normal" to try to fit in. Their manipulative scheming is much more successful if the people around them are unaware that they are dealing with a conscienceless person.

I'm going with narcissism plus really bad website. I think Narcissism+RBW is going to be included in the next iteration of the DSM.

Too bad - it would have made an interesting category, especially if RBW were also a separate diagnostic category. However: National Institute Of Mental Health Forsakes the DSM. Seems that NIMH intend to "[re-orient] its research away from the categories of mental illness described in the DSM".
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Droopy wrote:
ZelphtheGreat wrote:
When I was teaching at BYU we were told numerous times that "The Brethren" personally approved every hire at the school.

Considering what asshats some of them are, this professor makes perfect sense.

No, but I have seen the inside of a North Vietnamese Prison.

BYU has the nasty habit of teaching "The Lord" inspires their choice of faculty. A hard thing to justify when one looks at faculty members closely. It is not the case of those failing to live up to potential when they were not really qualified in the first place.
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12