Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Re: Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

Post by _Droopy »

ZelphtheGreat wrote:

No, but I have seen the inside of a North Vietnamese Prison.

BYU has the nasty habit of teaching "The Lord" inspires their choice of faculty. A hard thing to justify when one looks at faculty members closely.

Or apostate members who once taught at BYU but couldn't handle the standards and disciplines of the restored gospel.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Droopy, do you ever tire of being such an easy target? It's a serious question.

It's like being at a shooting gallery and you are the slow bunny going across the background. There is no sport in it.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Quasimodo wrote:Droopy, do you ever tire of being such an easy target? It's a serious question.

It's like being at a shooting gallery and you are the slow bunny going across the background. There is no sport in it.

Please, Quasi, leave an old fellow his little pleasures. The slow bunny is about all I can hit these days. :rolleyes:
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Droopy wrote:
Darth J wrote:
See, Droopy, your intimate familiarity with Zucker brothers movies makes it difficult to believe that you only saw The Kentucky Fried Movie one time in a theater in the 1970's, like you insisted when your habit of watching vile, vulgar R rated movies was announced from the rooftops.

A Fistful of Yen is pure genius. Never been topped.

So when Bong Soo Han had a dildo for a hand while he was lying in bed with that blonde woman, do you feel that the Spirit was pleased at this type of entertainment?

Airplane! also features a gratuitous shot of a woman's naked breasts. As this is the Terrestrial Forum, I will not link to it, but you can find it pretty readily with Google.

I did some quick cutting with the pause button some 25 years ago and edited that scene out when is showed on cable, giving me a de-gratuitified version of the classic Airplane.

Sure you did.

But what I really like about Airplane, among other things, is its unselfconscious and audacious political incorrectness, not the least of which is this piece of classic social satire:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5042c5 ... irplanefan

To be fair, the seed of Cain had only been eligible for the priesthood for two years at the time Airplane! was made. So it stands to reason that these descendants of Cain, who were born before the priesthood ban was lifted, might still possess some of the deficiencies they had because of choices they made in the pre-existence.

I also enjoyed seeing a woman being presided over in righteousness. Do you like to fantasize about doing that to Joanna Brooks, so you can show her her place?

Why do you watch such vulgar movies full of nudity and sexual innuendo when you have taken the oath and covenant of the priesthood, Droopy? How can you expect the Spirit to tarry with you when you defy the Bretheren's inspired counsel about what kinds of movies we should watch?

Darth, have you ever tried brushing your teeth with an arc welder?

That's probably the kind of diversionary retort Laman and Lemuel said, too, when mighty Nephi called them to repentance. Do you think you might get turned into an American Indian if you continue to reject the counsel of our modern oracles of the Lord? Why do you turn from the words of the prophets, Droopy, when you have sworn to uphold the oath and covenant of the priesthood?

Incidentally, Droopy, how do you know the Holy Ghost would have refused to give promptings to the administration at BYU's law school had they prayed over this hiring decision?

And if the Holy Ghost will not do anything for humans on earth that they are quite capable of doing for themselves, well, humans on earth are quite capable of finding out for themselves whether a posited ancient civilization ever actually existed. Therefore, since secular knowledge can determine whether there was a thousand-year civilization of advanced pre-Columbian Hebrews in America, and since secular knowledge can determine whether the Book of Abraham is an authentic translation of an ancient work written on the Chandler papyri, and since secular knowledge can determine whether the human race originated with a single mated pair in Missouri in 4,000 BCE, we need not bother the Holy Ghost about these matters.

Thanks for clearing that up, Droopy.

Amazing, three instances of begging the question in one paragraph.

I see. Which one of those things is not asserted to be a fact by the LDS Church?
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

malkie wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Droopy, do you ever tire of being such an easy target? It's a serious question.

Please, Quasi, leave an old fellow his little pleasures. The slow bunny is about all I can hit these days. :rolleyes:

:lol:

My apologies, malkie! It's just that I can't help feeling sorry for him, sometimes. I guess every board needs a slow bunny.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Quasimodo wrote:
malkie wrote:Please, Quasi, leave an old fellow his little pleasures. The slow bunny is about all I can hit these days. :rolleyes:

:lol:

My apologies, malkie! It's just that I can't help feeling sorry for him, sometimes. I guess every board needs a slow bunny.

NP. I'm just not looking forward to the day (if it hasn't come already) when I'm the slow bunny.

I don't expect that it's much fun. What advice do you have, Droops?
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

malkie wrote:NP. I'm just not looking forward to the day (if it hasn't come already) when I'm the slow bunny.

I don't expect that it's much fun. What advice do you have, Droops?

You will never be the slow bunny, malkie! I suspect I'm older than you (starting to drool). I'll be first.

_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Droopy wrote:
Equality wrote:A recent article in Psychology Today has made some waves. It is written by a self-described sociopath. The author is a faithful Mormon who describes the church as the perfect organization for a sociopath. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201305/confessions-sociopath

It's actually an interesting read, even without the Mormon connection. Recently, the author went on Dr. Phil (anonymously). But she gave so many details of her life away that she was fairly quickly identified as one Jamie R. Lund, who most recently taught at St. Mary's Law School in Texas. See here.

Well, it seems that the Spirit was asleep at the switch again. Of all the qualified candidates for a position at BYU Law School (I assure you the market for law teaching jobs is incredibly competitive--there were likely hundreds of candidates, even for a position at BYU, which requires even non-Mormons to keep the so-called Honor Code, including the prohibition on coffee and tea), the inspired leaders of that fine institution landed upon a confessed sociopath as the one to hire. Or maybe sociopathy is a trait that Mormon God prefers in the people who teach at the Lord's University?

Edited to add: The Orwellians strike again. BYU used to have a video presentation from Professor Lund up on their web site. It has quickly been dispatched down the memory hole: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PtdyIxK2rEAJ:https://www.law.byu.edu/Law_School/Recordings+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

So, it is your contention then, that if the Church is true, the BYU administration would be, by definition, mediated by the direct revelations of the Holy Ghost in its hiring decisions? How about what brand of toilet pater to use in the law faculty bathrooms? How about determinations of grades?

If Mormon priesthood gives its holders special powers of discernment, why are the batting averages regarding decisions at Mormon institutions not head and shoulders above those of counterpart, 'secular' institutions?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Droopy, have you heard about how Carl Hawkins came to be on the faculty at BYU Law? Or Woody Deem?

I heard the stories related by both of them directly, they are not mere folklore. They both turned down initial invitations/offers. Each of them relented when they were told by Marion G Romney (the of the FP) that the Lord wanted them to teach at BYU Law. In Hawkins case, he was living in Michigan and told that he was being called to be a SP--in Orem, Utah!

So why did your Mormon god misfire so poorly re Ms Lund?
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Interesting. Sociopathy and narcissism seem to be accurate descriptions of some of the more prominent anti Mormon posters here. For example, sociopaths never answer facts, they always attack the messenger.

A HUGE one that you see here among anti Mormons is the inventing of outrageous lies about their experiences. "They wildly exaggerate things to the point of absurdity, but when they describe it to you in a storytelling format, for some reason it sounds believable at the time."

This lady's not a sociopath. She's a narcissist.

The one is often found with the other.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.