Terryl Givens is misrepresenting B.H. Roberts ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Terryl Givens is misrepresenting B.H. Roberts ...

Post by _Kishkumen »

Thanks for this hard work, Rollo. You should work this up into a guest blog post at one of the Bloggernacle blogs. Someone surely would allow you to post this under your pseudonym.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Kishkumen wrote:Thanks for this hard work, Rollo. You should work this up into a guest blog post at one of the Bloggernacle blogs. Someone surely would allow you to post this under your pseudonym.

Runtu posted the original version on his blog, and Simon Southerton has asked to post the revised version on his blog, so it's getting around. I don't think the mainstream blogs are ready for me yet. :biggrin:
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

It is somewhat disappointing that between when Letter To a Doubter was originally published, Oct 18, 2012 and the time that it was republished in Mormon Interperter, April 5, 2013 no one altered Givens to his misrepresentation, and the folks at the Interpreter either didn't catch it, didn't correct it, or just didn't know.
Kudos to Rollo for this correction.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Runtu posted the original version on his blog, and Simon Southerton has asked to post the revised version on his blog, so it's getting around. I don't think the mainstream blogs are ready for me yet. :biggrin:

I think you would be surprised. The challenge is one of framing. It is legitimate to ask whether Givens has represented Roberts fairly or constructed a Roberts straw man. I should think that the mainstream blogs would be interested in this issue.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Runtu posted the original version on his blog, and Simon Southerton has asked to post the revised version on his blog, so it's getting around. I don't think the mainstream blogs are ready for me yet. :biggrin:

I put the revised vision up yesterday. Who says mine is not a mainstream blog? :lol:
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Runtu wrote:Who says mine is not a mainstream blog?

I stand corrected!
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Runtu wrote:

I put the revised vision up yesterday. Who says mine is not a mainstream blog? :lol:

YES!!!!!

Condorito is BACK!!!!!!!!
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Posted today with a bit of colour added.

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com.au/
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Simon Southerton wrote:Posted today with a bit of colour added.

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com.au/

I like the added pictures, Simon. With apologies to Alma, "O that I were computer literate, and could have the wish of mine heart ...." :biggrin: