LDS things that are false if cafeteria Mo's are right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: LDS things that are false if cafeteria Mo's are right

Post by _Tobin »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Tobin wrote: The Book of Mormon itself is proof of nothing.

Ok, now I know where you're coming from. You have a rather liberal view of at least one important "keystone" central to the restoration story. I was thinking that you were more orthodox in your views/beliefs.
Good. However, I do not necessarily agree my views are that liberal.

I think the view that the Book of Mormon is really the keystone and central to understanding Mormonism is a mistaken view. The reason I believe this is a mistake is precisely because we can not establish it is of ancient origins and its credibility. What that means to me is God really does not wish the Book of Mormon to be used as such. After all, if God had wanted people to believe in the Book of Mormon, then Mormons would still possess the Gold Plates. The fact they were taken speaks volumes about how unnecessary the Book of Mormon is. The only response I've seen from Mormons is God did not wish the plates stolen?!? I find that answer empty and comical. And I'm truly incredulous of it. Would it really be possible for men to take the Gold Plates from the Mormons if God did not wish them to?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: LDS things that are false if cafeteria Mo's are right

Post by _Bazooka »

Tobin wrote:I think the view that the Book of Mormon is really the keystone and central to understanding Mormonism is a mistaken view. The reason I believe this is a mistake is precisely because we can not establish it is of ancient origins and its credibility. What that means to me is God really does not wish the Book of Mormon to be used as such. After all, if God had wanted people to believe in the Book of Mormon, then Mormons would still possess the Gold Plates. The fact they were taken speaks volumes about how unnecessary the Book of Mormon is. The only response I've seen from Mormons is God did not wish the plates stolen?!? I find that answer empty and comical. And I'm truly incredulous of it. Would it really be possible for men to take the Gold Plates from the Mormons if God did not wish them to?

But you're not liberal in your beliefs about Mormonism...right? :rolleyes:

Tobin, I'm not really sure what Mormonism officially teaches that you actually agree with. You think the leaders are uninspired and getting it wrong, you think the Book of Mormon is uninspired and unnecessary, you think Joseph had a visitation but that it may not have been God, you think you have seen (what people on this planet refer to as) God Himself etc.

For clarity, is there any official doctrine of the Church that you do agree with?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)