LDS things that are false if cafeteria Mo's are right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_nc47
_Emeritus

Re: LDS things that are false if cafeteria Mo's are right

Post by _nc47 »

Tobin wrote:
Juggler Vain wrote:If the following is your thesis...

The LDS Church does not expect its members to believe in a literal worldwide flood and Tower of Babel. You can believe something else, or harmonize measurable reality somehow, with those LDS beliefs.

...then you need to explain how this doesn't destroy your position:

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/01/the-f ... l?lang=eng

Where, in official LDS publications, is this direct and unambiguous statement of LDS belief contradicted?

-JV

Last I checked, Donald W Parry wasn't God. So, my position is I could care less what he has to say.

This is the height of hysteria. Donald Parry is an Old Testament professor, not a scientist.

I was Parry's student. He doesn't believe Moses wrote the Pentateuch.

Anti's want to impose that Mormons have to believe Moses wrote the Genesis through Deuteronomy. So instead of quoting a Bible scholar like Donald Parry, they quote Gospel Essentials.

Anti's want to impose that Mormons have to believe the global flood. So instead of quoting, say Dan Fairbanks, they quote Donald Parry.

Dig out the most fundamentalist interpretation possible and pin it on Mormons. Hahahahaha.
"It is so hard to believe because it is so hard to obey." - Soren Kierkegaard
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Nc,
What is the official position of the LDS Church on the flood?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_nc47
_Emeritus

Post by _nc47 »

SteelHead wrote:Nc,

Flood happened. Global, local, as a metaphor for the baptism of broken creation, doesn't matter.
"It is so hard to believe because it is so hard to obey." - Soren Kierkegaard
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

nc47 wrote:
SteelHead wrote:Nc,

Flood happened. Global, local, as a metaphor for the baptism of broken creation, doesn't matter.

Cite anything the LDS Church has ever printed in its history that supports that assertion.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

I note that all those folks on this thread wanting to believe that Mormonism; is officially open to a local instead of global flood; and open to Adam & Eve not being the first people on the planet, have yet to post a single reference to anything published by the Church that supports them.

Ldsfaqs? Tobin? nc47?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

nc47 wrote:This is the height of hysteria. Donald Parry is an Old Testament professor, not a scientist.

What difference should that make, since the LDS Church supposedly taught you to believe in evolution?

I was Parry's student. He doesn't believe Moses wrote the Pentateuch.

Anti's want to impose that Mormons have to believe Moses wrote the Genesis through Deuteronomy. So instead of quoting a Bible scholar like Donald Parry, they quote Gospel Essentials.

So sometimes Donald Parry understands the Old Testament, and sometimes not. Just depends on what you need to assert at a given moment.

Anti's want to impose that Mormons have to believe the global flood. So instead of quoting, say Dan Fairbanks, they quote Donald Parry.

Dig out the most fundamentalist interpretation possible and pin it on Mormons. Hahahahaha.

The most fundamentalist interpretation possible is the one the LDS Church has consistently adopted.

Scientists who are LDS say things that are inconsistent with the religious teachings of the LDS Church? No crap. That's exactly the point of this thread. Looking at what LDS RELIGIOUS MATERIAL says to determine what LDS religious material says is appropriate. That is where LDS religious teachings are found. The person beliefs of a person whose views the LDS Church has not adopted are irrelevant to determining what the LDS Church teaches.

But by all means, please continue to explain that the teachings of the LDS Church are irrelevant even to its own members. You know, refuting the point by confirming it.

Did you find a story from the scriptures yet that the LDS Church does not say is actual history, or are you still looking?
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

"Anti-Mormon:" "The teachings of the LDS Church have been shown by science to be false."

Self-described faithful Mormon: "I know! That's why we don't believe what the Church teaches! The Church is true, though! Whatever that means!"
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

nc47:

Did Joseph Smith think that Moses wrote the Pentateuch?

Hint: http://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/moses?lang=eng
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Has anyone besides me notice the two points that our stalwart defenders of the faith are decidedly avoiding?

--the idea that the current leaders of the LDS Church can understand the difference between their personal beliefs/opinions and truths revealed from God
--the idea that past Mormon leaders could understand the difference between their personal beliefs/ideas and truths revealed from God
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I like how interesting the Noah story as a geographically limited flood still believes there was a literal Noah who survived a literal deluge with a literal ark and literal animals. Actual liberals think the story is a myth that contains useful symbolism about man's relationship to God. You know that trying to stave off science by dropping the most obviously falsifiable aspects of the narrative while still taking on a literal interpretation is only slightly less fundamentalist, right?