Millstones Along the Way: Interpreter Foundation Turns 8

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Millstones Along the Way: Interpreter Foundation Turns 8

Post by _Tom »

In honor of the Interpreter Foundation's (IF) first birthday, I present this list of IF-related numbers:

$140,805: estimated monetary value of time "donated" to the Interpreter Foundation by supporters from August 3, 2012-June 30, 2013

$16,467.96: IF expenditures from August 3, 2012-June 30, 2013

5: complete volumes of Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture (IJMS) published since August 3, 2012

212: number of days that Bill Hamblin served as executive editor of IJMS before resigning

1162: pages published in IJMS since August 3, 2012

53: number of consecutive Fridays in which a piece has been published in IJMS

56: number of pieces published in IJMS since August 3, 2012

41: number of pieces authored by individuals who serve on the Interpreter Foundation board

13: number of republished conference papers, articles, and blog posts in IJMS

8: number of pieces authored by Louis Midgley

167: total number of pages in Gregory Smith's two articles devoted to reviewing "Mormon Stories"

0: number of pages of Smith's two articles published in IJMS

7: number of spelling errors each in the originally published versions of John Gee's article, "The Apocryphal Acts of Jesus" and Brant Gardner's article, "From the East to the West: the Problem of Directions in the Book of Mormon"

61: number of Interpreter Foundation board members

8: number of board members who are women

34: number of authors published in IJMS

17: number of authors published in IJMS who serve on the Interpreter Foundation board

1: number of authors published in IJMS who are women

37: number of IF Scripture Roundtables posted since August 3, 2012

15: number of individuals who have participated in the Scripture Roundtables

2: number of participants in the Scripture Roundtables who are women
Last edited by Guest on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: The Interpreter Foundation's First Birthday, By the Numb

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:34: number of authors published in IJMS

17: number of authors published in IJMS who serve on the Interpreter Foundation board

50% of IJMS contributors are on the board. That's a high percentage.

I wonder whether 50% of Maxwell Institute's future books will be authored by Maxwell Institute employees.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Professor Peterson wishes the Interpreter Foundation a happy birthday here.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Really fascinating numbers here, Tom. It looks like Greg Smith's "hit pieces" takes up something like 10% of the total pages, which is pretty remarkable. If you add that with the Midgley stuff, the angry rant-letter to Michael Coe, and the Cassandra Hedelius material, the percentage of stuff that is "classic-FARMS"/attack-oriented approaches or exceeds 50%. But, hey: People tend to want high ratings.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Really fascinating numbers here, Tom. It looks like Greg Smith's "hit pieces" takes up something like 10% of the total pages, which is pretty remarkable. If you add that with the Midgley stuff, the angry rant-letter to Michael Coe, and the Cassandra Hedelius material, the percentage of stuff that is "classic-FARMS"/attack-oriented approaches or exceeds 50%. But, hey: People tend to want high ratings.

Actually, Smith's papers aren't counted in the total page count since they were never published in IJMS.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Tom wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:Really fascinating numbers here, Tom. It looks like Greg Smith's "hit pieces" takes up something like 10% of the total pages, which is pretty remarkable. If you add that with the Midgley stuff, the angry rant-letter to Michael Coe, and the Cassandra Hedelius material, the percentage of stuff that is "classic-FARMS"/attack-oriented approaches or exceeds 50%. But, hey: People tend to want high ratings.

Actually, Smith's papers aren't counted in the total page count since they were never published in IJMS.

Ah, okay--I see what you mean. Nonetheless, the 2 "hit pieces" still apparently constitute quite a large percentage of the total Mormon Interpreter-produced text, eh?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Ah, okay--I see what you mean. Nonetheless, the 2 "hit pieces" still apparently constitute quite a large percentage of the total Mormon Interpreter-produced text, eh?

Absolutely. It had to be a bitter pill to swallow for Smith, though. He couldn't include the two pieces in his CV's list of publications.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Tom wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:Ah, okay--I see what you mean. Nonetheless, the 2 "hit pieces" still apparently constitute quite a large percentage of the total Mormon Interpreter-produced text, eh?

Absolutely. It had to be a bitter pill to swallow for Smith, though. He couldn't include the two pieces in his CV's list of publications.

Yeah, I'm convinced that we haven't heard the full story on this issue. I recall reading something on the MDD board about how Smith had been told by a General Authority that he *should not* publish the article--in fact, as I recall, it was Dr. Peterson who related this anecdote. I bet that this affected the Editor-in-Chief's decision to not publish. In other words, the Mopologists do take orders from the GAs.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Milestones Along the Way: Interpreter Foundation's 2nd Birth

Post by _Tom »

In honor of the Interpreter Foundation's (IF) second birthday, I present this list of IF-related numbers for its second year, August 3, 2013-August 3, 2014 (first-year numbers in parentheses):

5 (5): complete volumes of Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture (IJMS) published

1525 (1162): pages published in IJMS

55 (56): number of pieces published in IJMS

30 (41): number of pieces published by individuals who serve as Interpreter Foundation board members/consultants/volunteers

4: number of pieces each published by Neal Rappleye and Royal Skousen

36 (34): number of authors published in IJMS

16 (17): number of authors published in IJMS who serve as Interpreter Foundation board members/consultants/volunteers

3 (1): number of authors published in IJMS who are women

80: approximate number of editing errors I noted in Kevin Christensen's article on Jeremy Runnells' Letter to a CES Director

66 (61): number of Interpreter Foundation board members/consultants/volunteers

13 (8): number of board members/consultants/volunteers who are women

1: number of women who serve on the twelve-member Executive Board

46: number of IF Scripture Roundtables posted

17 (15): number of individuals who participated in the Scripture Roundtables

1 (2): number of female participants in the Scripture Roundtables
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Number of people outside Mopologetic Mormonistic Circles that care - 0

(About the Interpreter, not your thread Tom!)
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)