Dan Vogel's Video on Joseph Smith's Making Plates

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Dan Vogel's Video on Joseph Smith's Making Plates

Post by _Dan Vogel »

“Joseph Smith Brings the Plates Home”
New Video by Dan Vogel

Joseph Smith claimed he translated the Book of Mormon from anciently engraved gold plates, which he took from a stone box in the side of a hill near his home in Manchester, New York. Claiming that he was forbidden by God to show them to anyone, Smith kept the plates carefully wrapped in a cloth or concealed in a wooden box. Believers accept this as God’s way of requiring faith, whereas skeptics suspect Smith constructed a set of plates that couldn’t pass visual inspection. This is the story of Joseph Smith’s bringing the plates home in September 1827.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmX-H1GBivk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUE7-EZ_ANHRkYHv7wCUTt0Q
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Vogel's Video on Joseph Smith's Making Plates

Post by _Sethbag »

Thanks, Dan! If I understood the video properly, it's kind of funny that the "persecuting mob" spoken of by the faithful may have actually been Joseph's erstwhile treasure digging partners all pissed off that he finally found something and they weren't getting a cut of it.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Sethbag wrote:Thanks, Dan! If I understood the video properly, it's kind of funny that the "persecuting mob" spoken of by the faithful may have actually been Joseph's erstwhile treasure digging partners all pissed off that he finally found something and they weren't getting a cut of it.

This has always been well known. That is why he was hiding the plates and moving them around.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_iamse7en
_Emeritus

Post by _iamse7en »

It passed the visual test with many witnesses. They saw with their spiritual eyes and felt with their physical hands.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Dan,

Great video. Well worth the time to watch because it provides an actual, well researched history of the incidents at issue instead of the silly pap that Mormons are fed from Primary to Gospel Doctrine.

There is nothing quite like the truth that is revealed about someone though the recitation of their own words.

How embarrassing for believing Mormons.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

Thank you for making these.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I enjoyed the video very much. It really is amazing how the church plays down Joe Smith's glasslooking and treasure seeking. It appears the Smith family as a whole was a treasure seeking lot of weirdos. Didn't they even run off to Boston at one point looking for treasures. Gee-wizz, freaking weird ass Mormon cult!

Reminds me of the Egyptian exhibit when the mummies and papyrus were on display. Joe's mother was a freaking nutcase and Joseph Smith himself said they had royal mummies. The Smith family conned everyone.

Paul O
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Post by _Dan Vogel »

Thanks for the comments. They are encouraging.
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dan Vogel wrote:Thanks for the comments. They are encouraging.

I've watched a few of your videos but don't know what's in your whole collection. You really should do something on the Book of Abraham -- focus on the Facsimile No. 3. It seems the church today, officially, has nothing to say about the Facsimile No. 3 and how Smith's wild claims fail to match up with truth and modern Egyptology which has deciphered the ancient language.

Paul O
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Another winner Dan. Thanks for making and sharing these with everybody.

Bill