Why would God design an organism that does this?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Why would God design an organism that does this?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Antarctic penguins frequently rape their newborn chicks, gang rape other females/males, eat their newborns, rape the corpses of their newborns (sometimes the same corpse for days on end) and regularly form mobs to assault, rape, kill, and eat other penguins.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... confidence

It reminds me of ducks. Ducks are necrophiliacs and rapists.

Why would a benevolent God create something like this? Christians and Mormons are more than welcome to explain this to me.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_3sheets2thewind
_Emeritus

Re: Why would God design an organism that does this?

Post by _3sheets2thewind »

When did reddit become a "source" much less a source to quote; I have seen a gang of ducks that could be best described as rapists.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

3sheets2thewind wrote:When did reddit become a "source" much less a source to quote; I have seen a gang of ducks that could be best described as rapists.

Uh.

It's the source of the quote. That's why I referenced it. Because... You know... It was the source of the quote.

Anyway. Do I need to link to a scientific journal that documents a penguin behavior, or do you want to discuss the topic?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

It's actually an interesting topic.

Are Ducks and Penguins rebelling against God's plan for the animals?
Does their behaviour not matter in the eternal scheme of things?
Do they just want to sin?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Here in South Florida, we have a number of duck species that drop in often during the fall migration season, including ring necked mallards and small coots. We also have a strange looking breed of ducks that live on the lakes here year around that are black and white with a red comb or more extensive growth on the heads. While the mallards and coots are somewhat territorial but generally well behaved, the males of this local breed can be viscous.

We live on a lake and often see two or more of these males attack a young female, grab her by the neck and force her head under water while two or more mount her and have at it. This makes my wife so angry that she has been known to go down to the lake shore and throw objects at the males to try to get them to disengage.

She has a hard time understanding where this behavior comes from since the other breeds that come here seem so "well mannered".

My wife is really bothered by this, especially when she sees an inexperienced young female, who does not yet even have her adult plumage, trying to care for a clutch of newborn ducklings. We usually see very few of the ducklings from these mothers make it. The young mothers don't seem to be able to lead them to food sources they can use and, more importantly, protect them from predators.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

The ducks are just perverts... they choose to be that way. God doesn't make mistakes. Why would he do that?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

I don't think anthropomorphizing animals is any kind of argument.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

bcspace wrote:

I don't think this is a case of anthropomorphizing. Anthropomorphizing is when you ascribe human features/actions to animals. Since animals have been observed to have sex by force or have sex with dead members of their species it's not exclusively a human trait.
Also doesn't really respond to the question of why God would design animals to behave this way.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

bcspace wrote:

Hello Mr. BCSpace,

Ducks rape other ducks. Ducks have sex with dead ducks.

Why would God do that?

- Doc

_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

bcspace wrote:

I don't think...

That was all you needed to say.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)