The 2013 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The 2013 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

My dear friends and colleagues: the October season is always a time of change and reflection. The leaves change colors; school is back in session; and the temperatures begin to shift--a chill sneaks into the air. Autumn is also the time of year during which I, as the B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies at Cassius University, have been charged with announcing the annual recipient of the highly prestigious Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award. As many of you know, Dean Robbers established the Golden Scepter as a means of honoring someone--virtually always a TBM--"whose role in the course and/or study of Mopologetics has had an enormous and undeniable impact on the field." Last year, if you will recall, we took the unprecedented step of awarding the Golden Scepter to two highly deserving individuals. Well, the Year of Our Lord 2013 represents an unprecendented event--a watershed moment, if you will--as well.

Indeed, this year's recipient is not a TBM, but a Mopologists, and one of the most well-established Mopologists of all time. Because we normally prefer to praise the contributions of "lay-persons" with the Golden Scepter, there was a good deal of disagreement over whether or not to give the 2013 award to such a notable Mopologists, but in the end, we decided that his contributions were simply too powerful to ignore.

More than any person in the entire history of Mopologetic Studies, this noteworthy individual helped to drive home the point that Mopologetic writing is not "serious scholarship," and that, indeed, even the LDS Church's flagship university, BYU, considers FARMS and Mormon Interpreter "unscholarly." This individual created quite a buzz early in 2013 after he abruptly terminated his affiliation with the fledgling "journal," MI, citing "relentless torrent of abuse from anti-Mormons and apostates" and getting called "an apologetic hack instead of a real scholar" by someone he thought was his "friend" as reasons for abandoning ship.

I'm speaking, of course, of....

William Hamblin!

Please join me in a hearty round of applause celebrating Prof. Hamblin's important contribution to the field of Mopologetic studies. Without him, we might never have gotten a formal admission from the Mopologists themselves that, in fact, what they do is not "serious scholarship." We owe him an enormous debt of gratitude.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: The 2013 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _DrW »

Dr. Scratch,

Any chance that the honoree will be favoring those here assembled with a short speech acknowledging this high honor and expressing his gratitude to the conclave?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

DrW wrote:Dr. Scratch,

Any chance that the honoree will be favoring those here assembled with a short speech acknowledging this high honor and expressing his gratitude to the conclave?

I can assure you that nothing would please me more. Hopefully Prof. Hamblin is reading this, or someone on Skinny-L will let him know about this great honor.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Does the award include getting him a decent haircut?
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

gak...............

Scratch once again wins the internet for the day.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

a great honor.

tears of joy.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

-applause-
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Hambones for everyone!

He's a Ham for all Seasons.
_Grebdo
_Emeritus

Post by _Grebdo »

Well Butt me in the Head! I'd never have guessed it.
...the love of truth has its reward in heaven and even on earth. F.N.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Bill Hamblin,

Congratulations are in order! You've certainly come a long way since your "Metcalf is a Butthead" days.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that your humility and your kind demeanor in dealing with people (on and offline) has left many people with a great impression of the Church.

Also, the professional and gracious way in which you've treated Gerald Bradford and BYU this last year has been impressive and Christlike.

I for one, can't wait to see what your next destructive move on the Church will be.

Again, congrats!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014