New Essay: Book of Mormon And DNA Studies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

New Essay: Book of Mormon And DNA Studies

Post by _Madison54 »

I just saw this posted on NOM but haven't had a chance to read through it yet:

https://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-morm ... s?lang=eng
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Re: New Essay: Book of Mormon And DNA Studies

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Madison54 wrote:I just saw this posted on NOM but haven't had a chance to read through it yet:

So the limited geography theory is now LDS Doctrine?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Thanks, Prez Newsroom, for teaching me genetics!
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

The Book of Mormon provides little direct information about cultural contact between the peoples it describes and others who may have lived nearby. Consequently, most early Latter-day Saints assumed that Near Easterners or West Asians like Jared, Lehi, Mulek, and their companions were the first or the largest or even the only groups to settle the Americas.

WTF ...Most early Latter-day Saints assumed???? Ahhh... they freaking assumed this because that is what the freaking book claimed...

2 Nephi 1:9 Wherefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise, that inasmuch as those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves. And if it so be that they shall keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon the face of this land, and there shall be none to molest them, nor to take away the land of their inheritance; and they shall dwell safely forever.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_darth_bill
_Emeritus

Post by _darth_bill »

Craig, that pretty much blows a whole in the rest of the article doesn't it?
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Don't forget verse 8!

2 Nephi 1:8 wrote:And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an inheritance.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Craig Paxton wrote:
The Book of Mormon provides little direct information about cultural contact between the peoples it describes and others who may have lived nearby. Consequently, most early Latter-day Saints assumed that Near Easterners or West Asians like Jared, Lehi, Mulek, and their companions were the first or the largest or even the only groups to settle the Americas.

Ahhh...Most early Latter-day Saints assumed... Ahhh... they freaking assumed this because that is what the freaking book claimed...

2 Nephi 1:9 Wherefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise, that inasmuch as those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves. And if it so be that they shall keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon the face of this land, and there shall be none to molest them, nor to take away the land of their inheritance; and they shall dwell safely forever.

"... that they may possess this land unto themselves..."

Could "this land" mean just the land that Team Lehi occupied and that the rest of the continent were occupied by non-selectees?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Madison54 wrote:I just saw this posted on NOM but haven't had a chance to read through it yet:

Thanks Madison! I'm trying to get through it, but it's hard with all my involuntary eye rolling.
I hope Simon Southerton has a chance to respond. I'm very much looking forward to that.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

I can't wait for Simon Southerton to respond to this new essay -- he's gonna tear it apart.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Rollo Tomasi wrote:I can't wait for Simon Southerton to respond to this new essay -- he's gonna tear it apart.

Are you sure? I mean they had marbles in a jar.....