Jeff Lindsay Wades into the Book of Abraham Morass at Interpreter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Jeff Lindsay Wades into the Book of Abraham Morass at Interpreter

Post by Dr Moore »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:46 pm
Kiwi57 wrote:If Gee is correct, then the faxx are not revealed documents.

If they are not revealed documents, but merely copies of essentially unrelated pictures on the papyri, then they have no relevance to the Book of Abraham as Scripture, and any mistakes in copying of them, or restorations of the missing portions, tell us nothing about the process of translation, or Joseph's ability as an inspired translator.

And if that's the case, then the facsimiles are of no use as weapons against the Church of Jesus Christ.
:roll:
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

drumdude wrote:

If they are not revealed documents, but merely copies of essentially unrelated pictures on the papyri, then they have no relevance to the Book of Abraham as Scripture, and any mistakes in copying of them, or restorations of the missing portions, tell us nothing about the process of translation, or Joseph's ability as an inspired translator.

And if that's the case, then the facsimiles are of no use as weapons against the Church of Jesus Christ.
Wow. That looks suspiciously like a convenient attempt at removing methodology completely from the debate!

I hope Kiwi57 attempts to communicate that argument in an *actual* independent scholarly forum!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Sledge wrote:Yup. And they [the facsimiles] should be removed from our printed scriptures post haste.
I love when apologists play prophet. Limited geography model, axing Joseph's interpretation of the papyri... if only we had some sort of seer or revelator who could weight in with some sort of... authority? Too busy yelling at clouds and homosexuals I guess.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

drumdude wrote:

If.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:04 pm
drumdude wrote:

If.

The Church can't get rid of the Facsimiles without throwing Joseph Smith under the bus. Believe me, TRUST me, I've got it all figured out and if/when they make that fatal move it will be a heyday for me.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:04 pm
drumdude wrote:
If.
I remember a very emphatic talk that was given by an apostle or GA back in the day that Satan likes to use the word “if” to sow doubt. I’m not surprised to see Kiwi use it to sow doubt.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

If the Book of Abraham had come before the Book of Mormon, what would be the apologetics for Book of Abraham then?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:48 pm
If the Book of Abraham had come before the Book of Mormon, what would be the apologetics for Book of Abraham then?

Smith already had ideas about translating other records to include the Book of Moses and the Parchment of John and undoubtedly Smith had other ideas to include biblical patriarchs. When Chandler road into Kirtland with his mummies it was perfect timing. Smith jumped on the band-wagon and took full advantage of the circumstances and created the opportunity to exploit the biblical prophets (Abraham & Joseph) for his own vain benefit.

Here we see that Smith prior to completing the translation of the Book of Mormon had other ideas up his sleeve:

Joseph Smith D&C 9:2 wrote:And then, behold, other records have I, that I will give unto you power that you may assist to translate.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

drumdude wrote:

I wish waterboy would come over here and explain how he or Gee can distance the facsimiles from the Book of Abraham. Joseph Smith claimed to have translated the damn things and was damn wrong in his translations. I'm still waiting for the magic number reveal. I wasted many hours in the temple trying to figure out the holy number .... lol
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:34 am
I'm still waiting for the magic number reveal. I wasted many hours in the temple trying to figure out the holy number .... lol

What magic number are your referring to? What do you mean?