John Dehlin to leave the church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin to leave the church?

Post by _Mercury »

Jason Bourne wrote:Everyone has their own journey even if it is ambivalent. What motivates John I do not know though I do know he is a decent human being.

I have taken a very very long time to arrive where I am at and I have gone very very slow.

Where are you presently?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Spanner
_Emeritus

Post by _Spanner »

Hang on, the problem is that he doesn't want to pay tithing, and that makes him a vocal "semi-believer". He obviously believes in the people and has hope for the future of the church.

I would love for him to present the case that according to the defence in the recent court case, he doesn't have to pay money to be considered a full member. Besides, he is well paying in time and effort spent on his work keeping borderline members in and helping mixed families. He is giving freely to the people, so declaring that he believes he has full tithe status due to giving of his time and professional skills would be quite appropriate, would it not? And quite in line with the original bibllical concept of tithes (assisting the poor), and early church practice (tithing in labor).

He could at least make a point on his way out, and maybe open the conversation about how "voluntary" money donation really is. The fraud case has made it the right time to do this.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I can't blame John if he leaves. I think most people would have left long ago if they were subjected to the same treatment by Greg Smith and Daniel C. Peterson. It's a real shame and I know I would not want to be Greg or Dan and have to stand in front of the Savior/Vishnu/Buddha and explain and defend my actions.

In any event, the Church will always owe John (and Dr. Scratch) a huge debt of gratitude for hastening the demise of Daniel C. Peterson and Mopology. Without John and Dr. Scratch, there is a good chance DCP and his angry and bitter cronies would still be entrenched at the Maxwell Institute.

I think John and Dr. Scratch have both laid up enough stores in heaven for many lifetimes. When I think of the work John and Dr. Scratch have done on behalf of the Church, I can't help but think of the words, "well done my good and faithful servants."
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I can't blame John if he leaves. I think most people would have left long ago if they were subjected to the same treatment by Greg Smith and Daniel C. Peterson. It's a real shame and I know I would not want to be Greg or Dan and have to stand in front of the Savior/Vishnu/Buddha and explain and defend my actions.

In any event, the Church will always owe John (and Dr. Scratch) a huge debt of gratitude for hastening the demise of Daniel C. Peterson and Mopology. Without John and Dr. Scratch, there is a good chance DCP and his angry and bitter cronies would still be entrenched at the Maxwell Institute.

I think John and Dr. Scratch have both laid up enough stores in heaven for many lifetimes. When I think of the work John and Dr. Scratch have done on behalf of the Church, I can't help but think of the words, "well done my good and faithful servants."

You just jumped the shark Everybody Wang Chung.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Aristotle Smith wrote:You just jumped the shark Everybody Wang Chung.

I jumped the shark years ago, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mercury wrote:Where are you presently?

At my desk working but it is time to go home. :smile:

Here is where I am at church wise:

1: Currently no calling.

2: Both SP and bishop know I have do not have a LDS testimony of the founding truth claims and am skeptical about the existence of God and I don't believe any church is the one true church. I have spent time discussing this with both of them.

3: Still attend because my wife would like me to attend. I enjoy my friends through Church as well. My two best friends know where my head is at. My kids do, my dad does and my brothers do as well. Dad is not active and never has been during my life. Older brother active but a skeptic a bit. Younger brother not active. Mom passed away last year. She as not active.

4: Am extremely happy, happier than I even have been except I am working too damn much, and love exploring the beautiful wide world. Am reading more on evolution, other sciences... half way through Guns, Germs and Steel and fascinates. Also reading Dawkins The Greatest Show on Earth.

5: I told bishop I would do a calling that did not require me to teach every Sunday, testify, have leadership, etc. Greeter would be great!

And if Droopy were here he would say in some snarky and pretended pithy way "I saw this coming years ago." Then he would proceed to trash me. Guess he is a prophet! Just doing an end run around the droopster and saving him the trouble.
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Aristotle Smith wrote:You just jumped the shark Everybody Wang Chung.

I jumped the shark years ago, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE

I stand corrected.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Jason Bourne wrote:5: I told bishop I would do a calling that did not require me to teach every Sunday, testify, have leadership, etc. Greeter would be great!

All due respect to you but AYFKM??

Greeting people into an institution that you no longer believe in?

"Hi, Welcome to the biggest lie ever foisted upon mankind! Oh! You are an investigator?? LEAVE WHILE YOU HAVE A CHANCE!!"
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Is HE is one American nobody? Of 15.000.000 of nothing?
I am talking about Mormon themes.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I hope he stays as an active semi-believer. If the Church discards him for thinking out loud, then at least he will know that he persevered to the end and turned the other cheek. Historical judgment is upon the impaler and not the impaled.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace