John Dehlin to leave the church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin to leave the church?

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Wasn't he obtaining his Doctorate through BYU? How would this affect that?

Also, wasn't he planning on starting some sort of family counseling practice in Utah, a highly Mormon populated area? If so, I don't know how financially successful this would be if he decided to leave the Church completely.

Of course, publicly proclaiming all of this risks him being called into a "court of love" and having the choice taken away from him.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _TomHagen »

Craig, I echo everything you just said. It's easy to take cheap shots at John from the safety and anonymity of the internet bleachers, but John dared to do something new and give many, many, many of us a polite, reasonable, and insistent voice without becoming antagonistic. And as you pointed out, he was leading the charge in the vanguard of an internet movement that is only growing, and shaking the church to its foundations. I for one thank him for that, and wish him the best wherever he ends up.
So I, too, would make this popp-ed corn and win over those mindless drones.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

I echo all the positive comments here .... thanks John!

Best of wishes
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:Greeting people into an institution that you no longer believe in?

"Hi, Welcome to the biggest lie ever foisted upon mankind! Oh! You are an investigator?? LEAVE WHILE YOU HAVE A CHANCE!!"

I actually was kidding. It did not come across well.

But hey dude. Give a guy a break. I have been slow and like I said I will still attend with my wife. She still believes and actually has handled my transition quite well. It is the least I can do for her.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

beanboots wrote:dehlin is a whiny little bitch. he needs to go play in traffic.

And maybe we should all kick your ass.... :cool:
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Wasn't he obtaining his Doctorate through BYU? How would this affect that?

Also, wasn't he planning on starting some sort of family counseling practice in Utah, a highly Mormon populated area? If so, I don't know how financially successful this would be if he decided to leave the Church completely.

Of course, publicly proclaiming all of this risks him being called into a "court of love" and having the choice taken away from him.

No not BYU. USU. Yes he is starting a counselling practice I believe in Logan. Yes he could be called to to DC for his agitation. He previosly has been called to the SPs office and I bet scolded a little. Though given his prominance now I doubt they would Ex. The church is cowardly on things like this these days.

Craig Paxton, a great post.
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

I'll add my voice to the positive comments. I vascillated back and forth in my own head about my beliefs for over a decade. Doing that in the public eye would have been agonizing. I wish John all the best no matter what he chooses.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

If he wrote an open letter to, say, Dallin Oaks and took him to task, I think he could be ex'd. Some actions won't be tolerated.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Nomomo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomomo »

He should resign. That Mormonstories would loose some active Mormon followers is not a valid nor honest reason to remain a member of the Church.
The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

John Dehlin has both my gratitude and best wishes. His work was an important contribution to my wife being NOM (instead of TBM) which, in turn, is a big factor in our still being happily married.

Regardless of how he goes about it, in my book he has earned the right to claim any status he chooses with respect to the LDS Church. If he chooses to leave, so much the better. I think anyone who is honest with themselves will eventually figure that leaving the LDS Church the best possible choice for those who wish to live an authentic life.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."