What do I need to do to stop private interviews?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_just me
_Emeritus

What do I need to do to stop private interviews?

Post by _just me »

Is there anything I can do to keep men in the church from having private interviews with my children? Is there anything legally I can do if they have them anyway?
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: What do I need to do to stop private interviews?

Post by _Bazooka »

In the UK "grooming" is against the law. Asking minors who are not your children about their sexual behaviour can be considered grooming behaviour and people that do it can be challenged under the law.

If you don't want to put the onus on your child to say no, have a meeting with the Bishop and make the rules and consequences clear face to face.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

just me wrote:Is there anything I can do to keep men in the church from having private interviews with my children? Is there anything legally I can do if they have them anyway?

You are a parent. Assuming your children are under the age of 18. I think a letter to the Bishop and Stake President telling them that you do not authorize them to do such interviews should be enough. Mentioning something about lawyers would probably help too.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Is there anything I can do to keep men in the church from having private interviews with my children?

Just request.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

bcspace wrote:sexist

BC lives in an alternate universe where somebody other than men have 1:1 interviews with youth about their personal worthiness.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Back in the day when I was a member.... :geek:

I told the Bishop that under no circumstance was any church leader allowed to meet with my children without either my husband or I present. PERIOD!

~td~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

just me wrote:Is there anything I can do to keep men in the church from having private interviews with my children? Is there anything legally I can do if they have them anyway?

Resign your own membership and the membership of your kids and don't let them set foot inside an LDS meetinghouse. That's the most effective way. If you want to keep going to church, then you will have to be constantly vigilant. I would put the request in writing and kindly but firmly let them know that if they don't honor your request, you will consider legal action. That seems to be the only leverage members have with the leadership. Well, that and the threat of bad publicity.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

truth dancer wrote:Back in the day when I was a member.... :geek:

I told the Bishop that under no circumstance was any church leader allowed to meet with my children without either my husband or I present. PERIOD!

~td~

I think that's the best way to handle it.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _just me »

Kids will attend church with their dad half the time. I.can't stop that happening. But maybe I can stop the interviews and baptism of my youngest.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

just me wrote:Kids will attend church with their dad half the time. I.can't stop that happening. But maybe I can stop the interviews and baptism of my youngest.

Is there any way you and your ex could come to some sort of agreement with you regarding interviews? Can you talk with him about it? As something that is in the best interest of your children?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB