Hamblin's latest sin: "Predatory Disbelief"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Hamblin's latest sin: "Predatory Disbelief"

Post by _canpakes »

Hamblin wrote:

...Many members of the Church disbelieve one or another of the Church’s claims while continuing in Church activity and membership...

...If the Church is true, then predatory disbelief aims to destroy the eternal salvation of Church members.

Hamblin is obfuscating.

I don't recall Dehlin stating that 'the Church is not true'; he seems to have issues with specific claims (but maybe I've missed the latest news). Regardless, the all-in-one 'Church is True' label is a bit meaningless unless Hamblin wants to define 'The Church is True' to mean that every claim made by the Church is, indeed, factually true... and if so, then what do we do with the many members that he mentions prior, who have issues with one or more of the Church's truth claims?

If 'The Church is True' is not supposed to be all-inclusive of every truth claim made by the Church, then Dehlin cannot be accused - under Hamblin's own, newly-created criteria - of 'predatory disbelief' in presenting contrary evidence for possible consumption by any other member.

Missing in all of this is the fact that any member has the free will to read, accept or reject Dehlin's comments or assertions. If some of Dehlin's comments are based on verifiable but uncomfortable fact, then who is the 'predatory' party - Dehlin, for offering that information, or the Church in attempting to squelch Dehlin or any other person highlighting information that it dislikes so as to keep unsuspecting members from being exposed to that information?
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

On a related note, the church has an organization of serial disbelief predators who stalk neighborhoods two by two to spread disbelief among the faithful protestants, catholics, baptists, jews, etc.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Many of us have been preyed upon by those purveyors of disbelief in good sense and science known as LDS apologists. I think one William Hamblin is to be found among their number.

How ironic.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

canpakes wrote:Missing in all of this is the fact that any member has the free will to read, accept or reject Dehlin's comments or assertions. If some of Dehlin's comments are based on verifiable but uncomfortable fact, then who is the 'predatory' party - Dehlin, for offering that information, or the Church in attempting to squelch Dehlin or any other person highlighting information that it dislikes so as to keep unsuspecting members from being exposed to that information?

:idea:
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Holy Predatory Hypocrisy!

The wise father, taught by a wise father, who too was taught by a wise father about how to WIN in climbing the LDS ladder of influence and power........

'NEVER ADMIT TO DOUBT, SIN, OR MASTURBATION as these will forever disqualify you from Church Confidence. The Church needs people who will lie like hell all day long to keep moving forward the steady progress of Mormon Destiny in the face of all signs of not observably having the Spirit and Power of God.'

'Remember, Jesus might forgive but the Church never will. So, repent to the Lord but lie to the Church. Keep these sayings my son, as I have kept them from my father, and his father before him, and teach them to all your generations, that there might never lack of one of our own standing among the Brethren.'
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Kishkumen wrote:Many of us have been preyed upon by those purveyors of disbelief in good sense and science known as LDS apologists. I think one William Hamblin is to be found among their number.

How ironic.

Joseph Smith taught that the church embraces all truth, and that truth is to be sought from the best books. When Hamblin and his ilk reject science and embrace ignorance instead, and publish to that same effect in an attempt to influence the beliefs of others, then he is the true apostate.

As it is, I'm bummed for Kate Kelly only in the sense that she's been treated poorly by the church, and in the sense that the church is demonstrating itself to be a sexist and chauvinist throwback to the bad old days, a reactionary holdout in a society growing beyond ideas like God-ordained patriarchy.

But, as that is what the church is, and is showing itself to be, I couldn't really care less about it, to be honest. I feel bad for Kate not getting what she wants, but half in the same way I feel bad for a kid not getting what they asked for for Christmas. To be honest, I feel like Kate Kelly is being given the opportunity to walk away from the church and start seeing it for what it really is. I think her life has the potential for vast improvement if she takes that path.

It's not for me to make choices for her or tell her how to live, or any of our choices to do that, except Kate's herself. I hope she does some hard thinking and makes some sensible decisions and drives on her with her life, and simply leaves the stubborn patriarchy of Mormonism in her dust.

The Mormon priesthood is BS anyway. It's nothing. It's literally a pat on the head and a welcome to the good ole boys club. The Mormon priesthood as the authorization by a Creator of the Universe to call down the magical powers by which the universe was ostensibly created, to move mountains, to miraculously cure incurable diseases or infirmities, etc. is a fantasy; it's pure fiction.

I'm not really all that bent out of shape that Kate Kelly was not able to get that pat on the head and be supported in the fantasy that one now holds magical powers, or that some hypothetical Creator of the Universe is now necessarily more inclined to do what one wishes for because someone touched their head and said words to the effect that the Creator of the Universe would now be.

Sorry Kate, but here's to hoping you come to the realization that the watering hole you crawled towards in the desert was never going to quench your thirst anyhow, as it is now and always has been just a mirage.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

DarkHelmet wrote:On a related note, the church has an organization of serial disbelief predators who stalk neighborhoods two by two to spread disbelief among the faithful protestants, catholics, baptists, jews, etc.

DarkHelmet for the downthread win.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_wayfarer
_Emeritus

Post by _wayfarer »

DrW wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:On a related note, the church has an organization of serial disbelief predators who stalk neighborhoods two by two to spread disbelief among the faithful protestants, catholics, baptists, jews, etc.

DarkHelmet for the downthread win.

where is the like button
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

wayfarer wrote:where is the like button

In the neighbourhood of my (and Zeezrom's) "[img]" one
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

ludwigm wrote:In the neighbourhood of my (and Zeezrom's) "[img]" one

Will you please tell us that you can't post images? You haven't told us enough times, so we're not likely to know that fact yet.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley