Joe Geisner Podcast On Polygamy and Violent Utah in 1850

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Joe Geisner Podcast On Polygamy and Violent Utah in 1850

Post by _Madison54 »

I am listening to the new podcast with Joe Geisner right now....it is excellent and so interesting. What a great man and historian he is!

Here is the link for anyone who'd like to listen to it:
http://feministmormonhousewivespodcast.org

The title is:
"Year of Polygamy: Historian Joe Geisner and Violent 1850's Utah"
Episode 43
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Joe Geisner Podcast On Polygamy and Violent Utah in 1850

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Thanks!
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Ditto!
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Joe Geisner
_Emeritus

Post by _Joe Geisner »

Madison, you are so kind to post this. I felt quite uncomfortable posting about myself. You are wonderful, thank you.

This is the first podcast I have done. I was quite nervous, though knowing how kind and gracious Lindsay is, I was optimistic. Then all disaster happened. because this also happens to be the first time I have ever skyped, and I somehow had a major malfunction with the microphone and camera. I could not use my computer, so I had to have my son's laptop on my "lap" while talking with Lindsay and using my computer to read sources. Talk about stressed out!

I will be quite curious how you folks think I did. I highly respect many of the people here and I particularly respect you three.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Joe Geisner wrote:Madison, you are so kind to post this. I felt quite uncomfortable posting about myself. You are wonderful, thank you.

This is the first podcast I have done. I was quite nervous, though knowing how kind and gracious Lindsay is, I was optimistic. Then all disaster happened. because this also happens to be the first time I have ever skyped, and I somehow had a major malfunction with the microphone and camera. I could not use my computer, so I had to have my son's laptop on my "lap" while talking with Lindsay and using my computer to read sources. Talk about stressed out!

I will be quite curious how you folks think I did. I highly respect many of the people here and I particularly respect you three.

Hi Joe!

Well, I finished listening to the first part and all I can say is that I can't wait to listen to part two! Have you taped the second podcast yet? You did an excellent job and I could not tell that you had technical difficulties at all.

I enjoyed the entire podcast but most especially hearing the experiences that led you to becoming so interested in church history and then on to being such an expert on this topic.

Also, Joseph Young's letter to Brigham was something I'd never read or heard before (where he writes of Bill Hickman murdering the Indians and warns Brigham of what type of man Hickman is).

All of the sources and stories you referenced were actually extremely interesting. The 1850's and reformation time in Utah is such an ugly period in church history and you tell it well. Again, I'm anxious for part 2.

Thanks Joe!
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

After having so many email exhanges with you Joe it was interesting to hear your voice. I do hope you eventually write that paper in that gentleman both you and I admire.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Joe Geisner wrote:Madison, you are so kind to post this. I felt quite uncomfortable posting about myself. You are wonderful, thank you.

You did very well Joe. And, as usual, you are a fountain of very interesting information. I too am looking forward to part two.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I only had a chance to listen to part of that podcast yesterday, but I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of it when time permits.

Nice job, Joe! :biggrin:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _just me »

I need this in my life. I am very interested in the reformation period, especially with the marriage customs. On my list to listen to later!
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Joe,

Excellent job! I hope there are many more in the future from you.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014