FAIR Conference Highlights: DCP & Hamblin Slam B. Hodges

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: FAIR Conference Highlights: DCP & Hamblin Slam B. Hodges

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Wow, that sure is interesting, Tom. It really makes you wonder--is Dr. Peterson comparing himself to someone who walked on the moon (allegedly, I guess)? Or is he comparing Blair Hodges to a moonwalk hoax conspiracy theorist?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Tom wrote:Dr. Peterson has now posted footage of the incident here. Suffice it to say that the encounter didn't end with one man telling the other to "Go to Hell!"

Latent hostility much?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Watching Dr Peterson blog reminds me why lawyers prefer their clients not take the stand in their own defense.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Fence Sitter wrote:Watching Dr Peterson blog reminds me why lawyers prefer their clients not take the stand in their own defense.

Yes. A few episodes of Law and Order might remind DCP of that.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Fence Sitter wrote:Watching Dr Peterson blog reminds me why lawyers prefer their clients not take the stand in their own defense.

Yeah, they can, on the stand, ruin hundreds of hours of careful preparation with a few statements trying to "improve" on the truth and their cases.

I only handle civil cases, but in defending an insured that was being sued, he came to my office an hour before the plaintiff's lawyer was to take the deposition of the insured (my client). The version the insured told me privately was completely believable and consistent, both internally and with the circumstantial evidence. Minutes later when being deposed by the plaintiff's lawyer, the insured began to 'improve' it. His story quickly became unbelievable, and the plaintiff's lawyer started circling like a shark that smells blood in the water. Then...well, the better part of discretion is that I do not tell the rest of this story, but it involved flirting with the outer edges of the ethical rules by interrupting the questioning, to try and pull the insured's bacon out of the fire he'd lit himself.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Wow, that sure is interesting, Tom. It really makes you wonder--is Dr. Peterson comparing himself to someone who walked on the moon (allegedly, I guess)? Or is he comparing Blair Hodges to a moonwalk hoax conspiracy theorist?

I think he is simply saying that he wishes he had punched young Blair Hodges in the face like Buzz Aldrin did with the heckler or like Charles Bronson did with his pistol in Death Wish 1-4.

You can only push a man so far before he goes postal. Such is the nature of testosterone.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_the narrator
_Emeritus

Post by _the narrator »

meh
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're absolutely vile and obnoxious paternalistic air of intellectual superiority towards anyone who takes issue with your clear misapprehension of core LDS doctrine must give one pause. - Droopy
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

sock puppet wrote:Yeah, they can, on the stand, ruin hundreds of hours of careful preparation with a few statements trying to "improve" on the truth and their cases.

I only handle civil cases, but in defending an insured that was being sued, he came to my office an hour before the plaintiff's lawyer was to take the deposition of the insured (my client). The version the insured told me privately was completely believable and consistent, both internally and with the circumstantial evidence. Minutes later when being deposed by the plaintiff's lawyer, the insured began to 'improve' it. His story quickly became unbelievable, and the plaintiff's lawyer started circling like a shark that smells blood in the water. Then...well, the better part of discretion is that I do not tell the rest of this story, but it involved flirting with the outer edges of the ethical rules by interrupting the questioning, to try and pull the insured's bacon out of the fire he'd lit himself.

This reminds me of a case I had a number of years back where I was defending a juvenile accused of possessing psilocybin mushrooms.

He was with a group of peers picking mushrooms in a field behind a barn. One friend was picking mushrooms and putting them into a baggie, and my client was doing the same.

Imagine their surprise when they got to their cars on the road and found the cops waiting for them.

The cops took the baggies from the two guys and put the baggies on the hood of their patrol car. In doing so, they lost track of which baggie went with which guy.

They sent both baggies to the lab and guess what happened?

Only one of the bags had psilocybin mushrooms; the other baggie had normal mushrooms.

The cops were unable to prove which one my client had possessed, and so their case was tubed.

I went over and over my client's testimony with him; which was non-incriminating in light of the fact that the prosecutor couldn't prove which of the baggies he had possessed.

Then, at trial, my client took the stand.

In response to a prosecutor's question (actually, it wasn't responsive at all), my client suddenly announces for the first time that at one point, his friend had given him the friend's baggie, and my client had held both baggies for a while before the cops came.

Needless to say, my client was convicted, and after several weeks, the print of the face-palm on my forehead eventually faded away.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

cinepro wrote:I'm sorry I've just got to say how much I love this quote from Hamblin:

It angers me when my friend Dan is harassed and insulted by anti-Mormons. It angers me even more when it is done by purported LDS.

What the heck is a "purported LDS"?

I take it you don't recall Hamblin's Creed?

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25278&hilit=+hamblin%27s+creed
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Cicero wrote:I take it you don't recall Hamblin's Creed?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25278&hilit=+hamblin%27s+creed

Yes, but Blair is a full-on believer. He meets all four of Hamblin's criteria.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB